[REMOVE ADS]

Isley Brothers that were signed to Motown Records.

I was trying to determine which 3 members of the multi-member Isley Brothers were the 3 that were signed to Motown and recorded their numerous great songs on Motown.

Am I correct that Ron, Rudolph, and Kelly were the only 3 members of the Isley's that were signed and recorded for Motown?

There seems to be information that Ernie recorded for Motown, but I don't think that is true.

Too many books and articles on the Isley Brothers get the members mixed up when they say which were on this label, that label, etc. etc.

Ron, Rudolph, and Kelly were the only ones signed to Motown. Their brothers didn't join the group until the 70's and after the brothers had left Motown.

Yeah it was just Ron, Rudy and Kelly.

The Isley Brothers as many of us know it today didn't come together until 1973 when they were in Epic [[and even before, Ernie, Marvin & Chris Jasper had been contributing to Isley records since 1971 - and Ernie since 1969).

Ernie never recorded for Motown lol

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Ron, Rudolph, and Kelly were the only ones signed to Motown. Their brothers didn't join the group until the 70's and after the brothers had left Motown.
    The other brothers did not join the group until 1973's "3+3" album.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The other brothers did not join the group until 1973's "3+3" album.
    Ernie played bass on "It's Your Thing".
    Ernie, Marvin and Chris first appeared together on an IB record with "Givin' It Back" and are all over "Brother, Brother, Brother". So while it wasn't official until 1973, they were there.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Ernie played bass on "It's Your Thing".
    Ernie, Marvin and Chris first appeared together on an IB record with "Givin' It Back" and are all over "Brother, Brother, Brother". So while it wasn't official until 1973, they were there.
    Like I said, they did not join the group until 1973. I remember the big deal they made of it in the press at the time.

They were also signing with Epic Records, that's partially why. A new chapter, a new Isley Brothers. This was probably their fourth, fifth or sixth reinvention too.

Started out as gospel child prodigies [[1954-55).
    Then moved to NYC to become a doo-wop group [[1957-59).
    Then became a high charged R&B act with gospel inflections [[1959-65).
    Then became a Motown act [[1966-68).
    Then became the ringleaders of that "newfangled" funk sound with some rock influences [[1969-73).
    Then became a funk and rock act that was holding down stadiums and arenas much like the Rolling Stones [[1973-78)

And it goes on and on and on... no other group besides the Temptations, Four Tops, Miracles and the Dells knew how to adapt to changing styles better.

Like I said, they did not join the group until 1973. I remember the big deal they made of it in the press at the time.
    Just an FYI!!! the "younger Isley's", as described in the their contract, did not become apart of the Isley Brothers[[as far as CBS was concerned) until 1980... That is why there was a breakup!! because the older Isley's were going to file for bankruptcy...Jasper saw they were not apart of that lawsuit!!!! There are such things as "publishing royalties" and "performance royalties"!! the "younger" Isley's were signed to T-Neck records and not to CBS!!!
    Last edited by dvus7; 02-03-2019 at 02:39 AM.

Oh wow, now that part I didn't know. Whoa...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Oh wow, now that part I didn't know. Whoa...
    I have the court documents...If you would like to see it????

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    I have the court documents...If you would like to see it????
    I guess. If it's allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    Just an FYI!!! the "younger Isley's", as described in the their contract, did not become apart of the Isley Brothers[[as far as CBS was concerned) until 1980... That is why there was a breakup!! because the older Isley's were going to file for bankruptcy...Jasper saw they were not apart of that lawsuit!!!! There are such things as "publishing royalties" and "performance royalties"!! the "younger" Isley's were signed to T-Neck records and not to CBS!!!
    I don't care who they were individually signed with, they were apart of that group/band officially in 1973. Strange that CBS Records promoted the addition through many print ads in mass market publications at the time. As far as Ron, Kelly and Rudy were concerned,they were now members of "The Isley Brothers" group!

I don't know who wrote this. From The Isley Brothers Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Isley_Brothers

By 1971, the Isleys' younger brothers Ernie Isley and Marvin Isley and brother-in-law Chris Jasper started to add input to the band's music, first performing on the Isleys' Givin' It Back, which had the brothers reinterpreting rock songs mixing them with funk and gospel-oriented elements. They played an even bigger role in the music on the 1972 album, Brother, Brother, Brother. Both albums yielded top 40 hits, including "Love the One You're With" and "Pop That Thang". By the end of their Buddah tenure in 1973, the brothers signed a distribution deal with Epic Records and made Ernie, Marvin, and Chris official members. In 1973, the Isleys released 3 + 3, which included the top 10 hit single "That Lady" and a UK Top 10 cover of "Summer Breeze".

Wasn't one of the reasons Chris, Ernie and Marvin was because Ron, Rudy and Kelly had most of their monies? IIRC, the younger Isleys contributed more to compositions than the original trio... or mainly Ernie and Chris.

By 1971, the Isleys' younger brothers Ernie Isley and Marvin Isley and brother-in-law Chris Jasper started to add input to the band's music, first performing on the Isleys' Givin' It Back, which had the brothers reinterpreting rock songs mixing them with funk and gospel-oriented elements. They played an even bigger role in the music on the 1972 album, Brother, Brother, Brother. Both albums yielded top 40 hits, including "Love the One You're With" and "Pop That Thang". By the end of their Buddah tenure in 1973, the brothers signed a distribution deal with Epic Records and made Ernie, Marvin, and Chris official members. In 1973, the Isleys released 3 + 3, which included the top 10 hit single "That Lady" and a UK Top 10 cover of "Summer Breeze".
    You are citing wikipedia... I have court documents!!!! YOU figure it out!!!LOL!!!

It's without citations so it might be right that the three elder Isleys treated the younger bros and bro-in-law [[Rudy's) as just employees. At one point, their production company was called The Brothers Three [[I think).