[REMOVE ADS]

Just another lonely night-a temps classic!

Hey my temptaholics,is this one cool or what? One of paul's greatest leads and just a gem..from the classic lp-temptin temptations!!

As I have stated before, this is my favorite Paul led track! Could have easily been a B-side. It's as if I can FEEL Paul's pain!

Paul does a great job but it's the Fantastic Four for me

This was Paul at his best. This was a great record all the way around.

This is one of Motown's first seriously major productions. It wasn't a dance tune, wasn't a ballad. Something much more complex in nature. The intro alone virtually paints a visual of the wee small hours of the morning when everyone else is sleeping but the lovelorn can only struggle a few winks; "Morning. Seems to come...so slow. Knowing how I need its warming glow."

Like "Just Ask The Lonely" and the later classic, "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" the lyric theme and music is atmospherically lonely and full of isolation. This song and Paul's interpretation is so mammoth, it nearly stops the entire album in its tracks.

Criminally underrated. Love the Tops take. Fun hearing the Temptations in the background while Levi is singing. A little peek of what it would've been like to have a TEMPTS/TOPS collaboration in the 60s.

On a slight side note, I happened to listen to Brenda Holloway's version of this song just yesterday. It practically stopped me breathing! Lol. So haunting. So beautifully sung. It's one of my favourite recordings from her.

Indeed itīs an otustanding track until now I know only the Temps version, but for me itīs breathless and amazing with The Andantes. I think the group donīt need the Andantes for such songs, so when you compare "The further you look, the less you see" with the version of The Majestics, you see and hear, that the Temps the better singers. And we have so less tracks together with The Andantes, so I am happy that there are excits so different versions, I will check out the Brenda Holloway version and I think the Four Tops / Temps / Andantes version will be very interesting too

Hi Mysterysinger!

I concur - Fantastic Four!

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    Indeed itīs an otustanding track until now I know only the Temps version, but for me itīs breathless and amazing with The Andantes. I think the group donīt need the Andantes for such songs, so when you compare "The further you look, the less you see" with the version of The Majestics, you see and hear, that the Temps the better singers. And we have so less tracks together with The Andantes, so I am happy that there are excits so different versions, I will check out the Brenda Holloway version and I think the Four Tops / Temps / Andantes version will be very interesting too
    Majestics? Do you mean Monitors? JALN is an outstanding song and Paul's lead with the Tempts is awesome

Just Another Lonely Night was cowritten by Ivy Jo Hunter and William Stevenson. When Stevenson left Motown to run the Venture label he released a version of the song by Major IV on the label. I think the jaunty, busy string arrangement totally vaporises the pathos and atmosphere associated with the Motown versions.

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 02-05-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Mysterysinger!

I concur - Fantastic Four!

Best regards
    Heikki
    Has to be lol. Just so much soul there.

Yes indeed; The Temptations' "Just Another Lonely Night" is a fantastic song. One of the best album cuts from the Classic Motown Era and proves once again that the label's '60s albums were more than just 'hits-and-filler'. And don't forget the similarly dramatic "Last One Out Is Brokenhearted" [[from the Tempts' Lost And Found collection). Paul Williams once again delivers another heartbreaking performance on that previously unreleased gem.

I like The Tempts and Fantastic Four versions equally. Nice song. I definitely like it more than when I first heard it.

Try as I might I just cannot get into the Fantastic Four version. The arrangement just seems odd to me. And it also probably because I've heard The Temps version a gazillion times before I heard any other version.

In a way, The Fantastic Four recorded this tune twice. "Just The Lonely" is essentially "Just Another Lonely Night" written sideways. Someone at Ric Tic knew the potential of the original...

https://youtu.be/iywbn0jNS-c

<iframe width="516" height="387" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iywbn0jNS-c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    In a way, The Fantastic Four recorded this tune twice. "Just The Lonely" is essentially "Just Another Lonely Night" written sideways. Someone at Ric Tic knew the potential of the original...

https://youtu.be/iywbn0jNS-c

<iframe width="516" height="387" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iywbn0jNS-c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Just Another Lonely Light is a Motown-Jobete track so it was Stevenson-Hunter that maybe reworked the track