[REMOVE ADS]

Which pointers did you like best

The Pointer Sisters burst on the scene in the early 70's dressed in 1940's fashions singing blues, jazz, doo wop, country and some very soulful funky tunes. Sister Bonnie left the group, the sisters reinvented themselves and made a huge impact on the pop charts in the 80's. I enjoyed both versions but the funky quartet is my favorite version. Which version is yours?Name:  pointers4a.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  88.0 KBName:  pointers3.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  87.2 KB

The funky foursome

I was fortunate to see The Pointer Sisters perform during August 2018, here in Vancouver, Canada in their new reincarnation. Though the trio is not original, now with family members, they put on a FAN-tastic show! Frankly, their original quartet lineup is what attracted me, and I loved them for being SO different. I am just jape too happy to see them still being able you turn it out!

This is a tough one because I liked them from when I first heard them in 1973. Then they kind of disappeared for a few years after 1976 and Car Wash. The next time I paid attention to them is when I saw this in December 1978 and it was like POW! LOL! Fell in love all over again.........

I have liked them ever since I first saw them on the Helen Reddy show as a kid. My dad bought their debut album on 8-track and I wore it out. I followed them through the years but I didn't begin buying their albums until they reinvented themselves as a trio with those Richard Perry hits like HE'S SO SHY and NEUTRON DANCE. That is my favorite era.

Unfortunately I never got a chance to see them in person. Since Ruth is a local resident, I have run into her at a couple of shows, including a Patti LaBelle concert where Ruth was called on stage to sing OVER THE RAINBOW with Patti and Bette Midler. I did get to attend a disco concert where Bonnie and June performed as a duo and it was rather sad.

The original iteration. The after 'Contact' records were OK but rather quotidian. But I'm with Glencro on that original funky quartet and I too remember the Helen Reddy appearance! And SOOO dynamic live. Bonnie's descent is sure sad.

I saw them live at Bachelor's III in Ft. Lauderdale. Bonnie had recently left the group.
    They about blew the roof off. A few weeks later I saw Mary, Scherrie and Susaye
    at Bachelor's III. Those were my glory days, indeed. Sadly, Bachelor's III is long gone,
    but....what memories!
    The original quartet was my favorite line-up and June my favorite of the group. She
    had such a sad and tragic life [[read Ruth's book). Always liked Bonnie, but, that turned into a train wreck.
    Last edited by lakeside; 02-02-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I have liked them ever since I first saw them on the Helen Reddy show as a kid. My dad bought their debut album on 8-track and I wore it out. I followed them through the years but I didn't begin buying their albums until they reinvented themselves as a trio with those Richard Perry hits like HE'S SO SHY and NEUTRON DANCE. That is my favorite era.
    Agreed. From "Energy" through "Contact" I was a consumer of their music. "Dirty Work", "Everbody Is A Star", "Save This Night For Love", "As I Come of Age", "Happiness", "The Love Too Good To Last" -- and everything on "Breakout" -- are the tracks most emblematic of the Pointer Sisters for me. The ones I listen to all the time today.

I love some of their output as a quartet but I didn't really get involved until they were a trio and Richard Perry started producing them.

I would have to agree with Guy. Richard Perry brought out the best of the Pointers and sadly [[sigh) those were the days when artists cranked out albums on a regular basis instead of waiting 5-10 years between releases and acting as if they are doing us a favor.

like them all , from the beginning through 1985, but am pleased Bonnie bowed out to record for Motown , resulting in a song that's in my Motown Top Ten :

At the time , didn't think HEAVEN MUST HAVE SENT YOU , could be topped Imo , but I was pleasantly wrong.

My pick is the 1979 through 1985 period of The Pointer Sisters. They had a run of songs during that time [["He's So Shy", "Jump", "I'm So Excited", "Fire" and others) that have remained favorites of mine. While the mid '70s work successfully put them on the musical map, the only song that I like from that period is "Yes We Can Can". PS, this group is overdue for an episode of Unsung.

This was one of my favorites of theirs for the 80s:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This was one of my favorites of theirs for the 80s:

OMG....this was my favorite back in the day. June torn this up!

Loved them all, because they sang it all, beginning with "Steam Heat." In my humble opinion, they were there baddest female group out there!

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    Loved them all, because they sang it all, beginning with "Steam Heat." In my humble opinion, they were there baddest female group out there!
    YES! Steam Heat from That's a Plenty ... and, I have to say that I always found the Pointers to put out high quality music. Some lps less favorite than others, but to my ears always high quality listening.

Yes thanks Marv. Dare Me Is just great! Although my fave time for them was earlier on with Bonnie when they were different and jazzie. Their Richard Perry period began to wear thin though I love Im So Excited.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes thanks Marv. Dare Me Is just great! Although my fave time for them was earlier on with Bonnie when they were different and jazzie. Their Richard Perry period began to wear thin though I love Im So Excited.
    You're welcome Luke. The Pointer Sisters were just all that! They were able to not only convincingly perform Jazz, Scat, R&B, Country, Pop and even Rock, they were across all genres! Not many groups were able to pull that off.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Damn these girls had so many hits! LOL! People talk a lot about TLC, Destiny's Child and even EnVogue. Truth is none of them came close to the talent and diversified music that the Pointer Sisters delivered. I rank them ONLY behind the Supremes in terms of overall music quality and appeal!

From 1976 and the motion picture "Car Wash"

I agree though I put LaBelle up there too!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Agreed. From "Energy" through "Contact" I was a consumer of their music. "Dirty Work", "Everbody Is A Star", "Save This Night For Love", "As I Come of Age", "Happiness", "The Love Too Good To Last" -- and everything on "Breakout" -- are the tracks most emblematic of the Pointer Sisters for me. The ones I listen to all the time today.

I love some of their output as a quartet but I didn't really get involved until they were a trio and Richard Perry started producing them.
    What a great song "save this night for love" is. It was a UK single but i am not sure it was in the USA. It is rarely featured on Best Of Compilations, but for me it remains one of their finest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    What a great song "save this night for love" is. It was a UK single but i am not sure it was in the USA. It is rarely featured on Best Of Compilations, but for me it remains one of their finest.
    Oh, yes. "your love is the reason/and I can't get enough of the touch or the TASTE!"

Naughty girls.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I agree though I put LaBelle up there too!
    Indeed. I have a spiritual connection to Labelle. I love the Pointer Sisters' ability to sing whatever was put in front of them and still be creative and commercial. They are an essential part of my early years -- along with Sister Sledge.

Labelle came later...

It's almost like a Two Tons Of Fun vs The Weather Girls. Though I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Two Tons Of Fun I'm not that big on the Weather Girls.

I have to tell everyone here about a live show Pointer Sisters at Boston College Alumni Stadium hosted by the great Steve Allen. The great Pointer Sisters did a great show, but the highlight was when they sang JUMP, they had skydivers fly over and jump with their parachutes onto the football field. Talk about a show

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    The funky foursome
    Superb.

I love some of their Blue Thumb stuff. Yes We Can, How Long, Going Down Slowly, and also You Gotta Believe from Car Wash. After that, I can't be bothered with them.

Since I'm an '80s baby, these Pointers:

Love this:
    Name:  PointersOperaHouse.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  24.2 KB

I think I like the version of the group beginning with this in 1978: