[REMOVE ADS]

Incredible Vocal by Miss Susaye Greene recently in LA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JDPYYQgJT0

If anyone wonders if Miss Susaye can still belt out those incredible vocals, this clip should answer your question. She has revived her showstopping "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" just as she did it with Mary and Scherrie, with her new grouping along side Scherrie and Joyce. Just outstanding Susaye, sounds exactly as she did in the late 70s. And just as she did in the late 70s she gets a well-deserved standing ovation

Why take a beautiful simple song and way-over sing it?? it is so unnecessary. IMHO, she destroyed it.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-02-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Susaye's vocal here is just a tad to immoderate for my own personal taste.
    Would love to hear Mary Wilson sing a version of this song..
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-03-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Fantastic! 😍 AFAIC, “He Ain’t Heavy” is a Susaye Greene song. The 1976 concert video of MSS was the first version of the song I ever heard, and for me it sets the standard. I think everybody else under-sings it! 😜

Cissy Houston made a great recording of it in the mid 70s also.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Why take a beautiful simple song and way-over sing it?? it is so unnecessary. IMHO, she destroyed it.
    That's called 'stylized' singing. A number of singers do that....Streisand being one.
    Not to everyone's taste and I get that.

Susaye Greene is a great singer.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I agree. I think she brought a fresh perspective and energy to the FLOS.
    Welcome Susaye and looking forward to great things.

Marv, I completely agree with you on this one. Ms. Greene is just the tops.

If susaye had been given a chance in the 70s with Joyce and scherrie, the Supremes might have had a chance

She recently posted on Facebook saying the group was ready to go but it was squelched by ....,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If susaye had been given a chance in the 70s with Joyce and scherrie, the Supremes might have had a chance

She recently posted on Facebook saying the group was ready to go but it was squelched by ....,,,,,,,,
    Goodness. I've had to pull a tasteful wrap around myself to ward off a chill, occasioned by LE SCHADE. I wonder who ... could be? That there post is still prominent in Susaye's FB as well as info about the new single by SSJ which is worth a listen.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 02-05-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Goodness. I've had to pull a tasteful wrap around myself to ward off a chill, occasioned by LE SCHADE. I wonder who ... could be? That there post is still prominent in Susaye's FB as well as info about the new single by SSJ which is worth a listen.
    Well isn’t the story that Mary went to Diana and asked her to go to Berry and put an end to it because there were no originals? Maybe she was afraid of competition from better singers

The truth is they were no longer The Supremes.They were not The Supremes since the day Flo left. There were DRATS, and The 70s Supremes !,2,3,and 4. Now with no original members who were they?Scherrie Susaye and Joyce,The Supremes phase 2?It had to end somewhere. Scherrie and Susaye both are great singers .However their voices were not anything like The original
    Supremes. Without Mary there really was no connection. It was over

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    The truth is they were no longer The Supremes.They were not The Supremes since the day Flo left. There were DRATS, and The 70s Supremes !,2,3,and 4. Now with no original members who were they?Scherrie Susaye and Joyce,The Supremes phase 2?It had to end somewhere. Scherrie and Susaye both are great singers .However their voices were not anything like The original
    They could easily have managed without Mary, but would have had to re-name themselves as The New Supremes maybe? I thought this at the time.

I think Mary was proving herself to be a more then capable vocalist on those final three Supremes albums. She excelled on songs such as "Don't Let My Teardrops" and"You Are The Heart Of Me". It was the image and choreography that was all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Well isn’t the story that Mary went to Diana and asked her to go to Berry and put an end to it because there were no originals? Maybe she was afraid of competition from better singers
    Has this ever been verified by anyone? Was it in any book? Mary left the group to go solo but then continued to perform as some sort of Supreme [[Mary Wilson of The Supremes, Mary Wilson and the Supremes, The Supremes' Mary Wilson etc) Maybe the story is true, and Mary thought of the continuing Motown Supremes of Sherrie, Susaye and Joyce as competition.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Has this ever been verified by anyone? Was it in any book? Mary left the group to go solo but then continued to perform as some sort of Supreme [[Mary Wilson of The Supremes, Mary Wilson and the Supremes, The Supremes' Mary Wilson etc) Maybe the story is true, and Mary thought of the continuing Motown Supremes of Sherrie, Susaye and Joyce as competition.
    My money is on this being closest to the truth. Mary did not want a Supremes name out there competing with her use of the name, and that's understandable. Also as the last remaining original, she had to have felt some type of way about this thing she created carrying on without her. I'm pretty sure that's how I would feel. If Diana intervened at all it was either out of love for Mary or an ever so slight chance that she, like Mary, didn't care for the idea of the thing they created not having an original member. But I struggle to believe that Diana cared about the group in anyway at that point, at least to the point of any involvement in their issues.

I also don't think that continuing as the Supremes would've done Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce any favors. The name was done. The group forever lived in the shadow of the 60s version, although Jean kept them afloat for awhile. By the time Susaye even came into the group, the Supremes was pretty much a has been entity. In order to breathe new life into the act, without Mary, they needed a rebranding. It's sad that no one at Motown cared enough to see to it that SSJ got off the ground. I think they may have undergone a creative refresh with Mary gone that the public may have warmed to. Sad.

Thank God somebodystopped it or it would have eventually become Chantel Baker, Karen Raagland and Fifi Montague.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thank God somebodystopped it or it would have eventually become Chantel Baker, Karen Raagland and Fifi Montague.
    I don't know Luke.....I've heard Fifi is a force to be reckoned with.

Lol. Exactly lakeside! And we know Chantel is.

When Supreme things go way bad...………..
    Last edited by lakeside; 02-06-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    They could easily have managed without Mary, but would have had to re-name themselves as The New Supremes maybe? I thought this at the time.
    Susaye Joyce and Scherrie could have reoriented the group in the direction of the successful 70's female groups - Pointer Sisters, Emotions etc.

I was disappointed they fizzled but they weren't Supremes anymore; at least the Temptations and Four Tops had a member even if it was a member no one could identify as a singer in any of their songs.

A continuing thought and issue I have with the 3,247 ladies who have performed as "supremes" [[lower-case "s" on purpose and I'm keepin' it that way) since the demise of JMC is that these performers seem to think [[regardless of their inherent charms and talents) that the original 5 [[D, F, M, C, and J) are all so randomly replaceable. And of course, they are not. Not a one. By no one. If the post-Wilson lineups wanted to form a group they coulda-shoulda done so without glomming onto a legacy that simply was not theirs.

A continuing thought and issue I have with the 3,247 ladies who have performed as "supremes" [[lower-case "s" on purpose and I'm keepin' it that way) since the demise of JMC is that these performers seem to think [[regardless of their inherent charms and talents) that the original 5 [[D, F, M, C, and J) are all so randomly replaceable. And of course, they are not. Not a one. By no one. If the post-Wilson lineups wanted to form a group they coulda-shoulda done so without glomming onto a legacy that simply was not theirs.
    Absolutely spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    Exactly. It would have evolved into a tribute singing a lot of Supreme songs.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I don't know Luke.....I've heard Fifi is a force to be reckoned with.
    Oh FiFi was that thang...........hehehehehehehehe!

There is no "Supremes" without Mary Wilson.......ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think Mary was proving herself to be a more then capable vocalist on those final three Supremes albums. She excelled on songs such as "Don't Let My Teardrops" and"You Are The Heart Of Me". It was the image and choreography that was all wrong.
    "You Are the Heart of Me" is my favorite song by the Supremes.

"You Are the Heart of Me" is my favorite song by the Supremes.
    Yes you have told us that on numerous occasions. We heard you on all the previous occasions, but thank you for reminding us yet again.

For me personally the Supremes ended in 1977 when the last original member left the group. Even if it had been Scherrie, Susaye and Cindy continuing, i would never really have thought of them as being the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    For me personally the Supremes ended in 1977 when the last original member left the group. Even if it had been Scherrie, Susaye and Cindy continuing, i would never really have thought of them as being the Supremes.
    SS&M made a terrific lp that may have garnered more airplay had it not been foisted on the public as a 'supremes' record.

Yes you have told us that on numerous occasions. We heard you on all the previous occasions, but thank you for reminding us yet again.
    #laughingstock

SS&M made a terrific lp that may have garnered more airplay had it not been foisted on the public as a 'supremes' record.
    An interesting thought. It was most certainly a strong album.

I think you might be right

Thank you kindly Rick! <3 LOL, glad to see things are the same here. Full of fun and spice!
    Last edited by thelastsupreme; 02-08-2019 at 10:57 PM.

High Energy is the best Supremes recording and still sounds fresh today. Susaye knocks it outta the park along with He Ain't Heavy. Always admired her talent and spunk. MSS were the best grouping - ultimately talented.