[REMOVE ADS]

Sound Field: How James Brown Invented Funk

Curious to know what you folks think about this brand new web series from PBS:

Exactly...JB put the emphasis on the 1 whereas Rock& Roll, R&B, and Classic Soul hit it on the backbeat...2 and 4
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-01-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Exactly...JB put the emphasis on the 1 whereas Rock& Roll, R&B, and Classic Soul hit it on the backbeat...2 and 4
    Yep! Revolutionary. He’s why the phrase “on the one” became part of our collective consciousness.
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-02-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Love this. I am not a "music" person, so to hear the explanation of "on the one" was great. James wanted people to dance, pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Love this. I am not a "music" person, so to hear the explanation of "on the one" was great. James wanted people to dance, pure and simple.
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Full disclosure: L.A. Buckner, the co-host on drums, happens to be my nephew.

I was gonna say he did everything on the one lol

And JB pretty much put rap/hip-hop on the map; making it the cultural phenomenon it is today!

Then, JB came full circle with Static & Living In America. I think the former produced by Full Force. [[Git Busy One Time)

James' funk sound was in the making long before Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, check this one out, I argue funk started to some degree HERE:

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    James' funk sound was in the making long before Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, check this one out, I argue funk started to some degree HERE:

Good one, midnight! I'll have to pull L.A.'s coat to this one.

Hey! Are you disputing what James said about it [[lol)? Thanks for posting that song, I've never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I first heard this track when, years ago, I purchased the Star Time boxed set . One of the best boxed sets I ever purchased!

Can't forget about the legendary band directors: Nat Jones,Pee Wee Ellis and Fred Wesley. Without them there to break it down and translate it the funk wouldn't be as strong. Long live The Godfather of soul.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Hey! Are you disputing what James said about it [[lol)? Thanks for posting that song, I've never heard of it.
    Yeah that was the b-side of one of his ballads [[forget which one lol) that came out in '62. It actually charted briefly on the pop charts. This song shows you where he was about to take music, to levels it never imagined.
    Last edited by midnightman; 07-02-2019 at 12:45 AM.