[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Least Favorite Song By.......Marvin Gaye?

Plan on doing these regularly

Marvin Gaye is a master, icon, legend

There was a thread a few months ago about “do you prefer 60s Marvin or 70s Marvin?”

That is a very hard question for me to answer and the answer changes day to day

If the question is “what is your favorite Marvin Gaye song?”

That is a very hard question for me to answer and the answer changes day to day

If the question is “what is your least favorite Marvin Gaye song?”

That is a very easy answer for me and the answer is carved in stone

It’s Til Tomorrow from the Midnight Love album

I can’t stand this song and never could

Whenever I listen to the album this song is usually not on for more than ten seconds before I hit skip

On occasion I will listen to it to give it another chance.

There are other songs that I didn’t like like and out of the blue for no rhyme or reason years later it hits me “I like this now!”

Not here

Marvin is one of those “listen to sing the phone book” singers

I’d rather listen to him sing the phone book than this one

That’s mine

What’s yours?

As much as you love Marvin what song can you just not get into?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bg72sje41gs
    Last edited by Optimal Saint; 02-01-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Hahaha...

No idea. Gotta think hard on this. Only issue I have with 'Til Tomorrow is it's too short.

Great way to create conversation Saint. Ahhh Man!!!, I love nearly everything by Marvin, even the unreleased tunes. But if I had to pick one[[or go further) I would choose "Piece Of Clay". As beautiful of a message of that song has it'll change my mood if I listen to it in it's entirety. Other than that it would be some stuff from his first album " The Soulful Moods Of". Great to have in your collection, but not for repeat play.

Off the top of my head, I'll say "Ego Tripping Out" from 1979 LOL!

I remember there being a song from Midnight Love that I didn't really like, it may have been "Til Tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Great way to create conversation Saint. Ahhh Man!!!, I love nearly everything by Marvin, even the unreleased tunes. But if I had to pick one[[or go further) I would choose "Piece Of Clay". As beautiful of a message of that song has it'll change my mood if I listen to it in it's entirety. Other than that it would be some stuff from his first album " The Soulful Moods Of". Great to have in your collection, but not for repeat play.
    Piece of Clay??? One of his greatest anthems about love and independence??? Nah, can't agree with that! I love the entire song, especially with how it starts with the rock guitar...

Ego Tripping Out?
    Piece of Clay?

Y'all are TRIPPIN'.

I think the songs I'd pick would be from the Dream of a Lifetime album. Because one, Marvin didn't want them out, two, they were unfinished and three, he wasn't proud of it besides maybe It's Madness, Life's Opera and the title track, which is so majestic, my God...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Ego Tripping Out?
    Piece of Clay?

Y'all are TRIPPIN'.

I think the songs I'd pick would be from the Dream of a Lifetime album. Because one, Marvin didn't want them out, two, they were unfinished and three, he wasn't proud of it besides maybe It's Madness, Life's Opera and the title track, which is so majestic, my God...
    "In Our Lifetime" was the album that Marvin did not want released because he had not finished it and Motown said tough shit, we're putting it out because he had not had a release in a while. So in 1981 it was released and I bought and played it to death! I liked that album. Marvin became very pissed by it and decided not to renew his Motown contract and left for Columbia Records the following year. Now that is what I remember!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-01-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "In Our Lifetime" was the album that Marvin did not want released because he had not finished it and Motown said tough shit, we're putting it out because he had not had a release in a while. So in 1981 it was released and I bought and played it to death! I liked that album. Marvin became very pissed by it and decided not to renew his Motown contract and left for Columbia Records the following year. Now that is what I remember!
    It's a great album but yeah I see why he disowned that one too. The FINISHED version of Far Cry that was released shows why he was PISSED OFF that Motown released it "as is" in January '81. I already disowned the unfinished "Far Cry" lol

If you replace the unfinished version to "Far Cry" to the unedited version, the album gets a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I really like In Our Lifetime too.... except for Far Cry

If I didn’t know the backstory of the album and this particular song I may have chosen it instead

I’m also not sure that anything from Dream of a Lifetime counts

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    I really like In Our Lifetime too.... except for Far Cry

If I didn’t know the backstory of the album and this particular song I may have chosen it instead

I’m also not sure that anything from Dream of a Lifetime counts
    Some of the songs featured on DOAL except Masochistic Beauty and Sanctified Lady were recorded while he was still signed to Tamla.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Some of the songs featured on DOAL except Masochistic Beauty and Sanctified Lady were recorded while he was still signed to Tamla.
    True, but as you said they were unfinished and Marvin may never have released them

It’s like saying saying your least favorite Michael Jackson song is one from the posthumous Michael album

PS - expect the least favorite MJ song thread shortly

True, but as you said they were unfinished and Marvin may never have released them

It’s like saying saying your least favorite Michael Jackson song is one from the posthumous Michael album

I don't think Marvin was mad that the album "Dream of Lifetime" was released because he was dead by then.

Well Marvin's posthumous songs are better than MJ's but that's another topic...lol

For me it would be material from "The Soulful Moods Of MG" as well.....While I would love to have the LP in my collection, I've never aggressively pursued it as a) it's expensive and b) I can't see spending that kind of money on an LP I won't ever put on the turntable or really enjoy. I think the perceived value in that LP is it's MG's first, and complete-ist collectors need a copy in their Motown collection. I prefer the pop sound of Marvin Gaye, not the "crooner" sound of MG!

Either version of Far Cry is my answer as they both must surely have a demo vocal given its lack of clarity and a feeling of being incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    For me it would be material from "The Soulful Moods Of MG" as well.....While I would love to have the LP in my collection, I've never aggressively pursued it as a) it's expensive and b) I can't see spending that kind of money on an LP I won't ever put on the turntable or really enjoy. I think the perceived value in that LP is it's MG's first, and complete-ist collectors need a copy in their Motown collection. I prefer the pop sound of Marvin Gaye, not the "crooner" sound of MG!
    Yeah it's easily my least favorite MG album.

You sure love to ball

I’m gonna cheat here - “after the dance [[instrumental)”.. I absolutely adore the “I want you” album and this the only Marvin Gaye song that I forward!

Quote Originally Posted by simon.millar View Post
    I’m gonna cheat here - “after the dance [[instrumental)”.. I absolutely adore the “I want you” album and this the only Marvin Gaye song that I forward!
    I'm with you on that and I'm grateful that in this digital era it's possible to skip tracks without having to take the needle off the record.

Haaaaaaaa,man oh man this is hard,umm well i guess it would be-hey diddle diddle.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaa,man oh man this is hard,umm well i guess it would be-hey diddle diddle.
    Yeah... lol

It's cute but very low in my repeat list.

My least favorite Marvin Gaye song is "Far Cry" from In Our Lifetime. The song was clearly a work in progress when Motown went ahead and released the LP without Marvin's consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    My least favorite Marvin Gaye song is "Far Cry" from In Our Lifetime. The song was clearly a work in progress when Motown went ahead and released the LP without Marvin's consent.
    Yeah, I guess if I had to really choose, it would be FC too since Marvin never got to finish it and I don't think he intended it for IOL?. He intended it for another album. Definitely seemed out of place. I'd be raising hell too.

He compared FC to an unfinished Picasso painting with everyone else adding pieces and selling it like this was all his work. It's accurate!

Sexual Healing. Or, with Tammi, The Onion Song.

"Ego Tripping Out" immediately comes to mind, but it's in good company with most of the cuts from the Midnight Love album, which is the only album of Marvin's that I can truly say I hate. I only like two or three songs on it.

Trouble man.

“Ego Tripping Out” isn’t one of Marvin’s best, but it’s tolerable IMO! What I really don’t care for are his early recordings prior to “Subborn Kind Of Fellow”, his first great one. Especially his cover of “Mr. Sandman”, the worst of them all.

You can tell Marvin wasn't really sure who he wanted to be. I think he was trying to be the next Jesse Belvin or something with those early records. He got the message that grit worked, hence Stubborn Kind of Fellow, etc.

This is a really great thread though. Love that folks are talking about MARVIN for once haha

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    “Ego Tripping Out” isn’t one of Marvin’s best, but it’s tolerable IMO! What I really don’t care for are his early recordings prior to “Subborn Kind Of Fellow”, his first great one. Especially his cover of “Mr. Sandman”, the worst of them all.
    I didn’t even really think of those early songs. I think of those as an artist trying to find his way

It’s been ages since I’ve listened to them and I never think of them when I think of “Marvin Gaye songs”

I love the early stuff because I could listen to Marvin sing just about anything, and IMO he did those songs very well. My problem with "Ego" is that this is not what I want to hear from my favorite male vocalist. Midnight Love suffered from generic backing tracks. Marvin was still in fantastic vocal form. His instrument deserved better accompaniment.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love the early stuff because I could listen to Marvin sing just about anything, and IMO he did those songs very well. My problem with "Ego" is that this is not what I want to hear from my favorite male vocalist. Midnight Love suffered from generic backing tracks. Marvin was still in fantastic vocal form. His instrument deserved better accompaniment.
    Marvin didn't really wanna do those songs but he felt pressured. I mean the songs were supposed to be something else. He couldn't even brag, in the middle of it, he realized it's all BS, even saying "the toot and the smoke won't fulfill the need". He was trapped at that point in his life.

"Midnight Love", he told David Ritz he was desperate in getting a hit. Once he got the hit, he was gonna get more experimental again. He never got the chance.

"Ego Trippin' Out" was supposedly about Teddy Pendergrass. He felt that Ted had much to learn about being grateful for success. While the message is nice, the focus isn't there given the reason for it's creation.

Barry White was to co produce the follow up to "Midnight Love". Genius Barry was I can't see that being a great album due to their styles being different and B.W.'s best days being far behind him in 1984. Quincy Jones would've been a prime candidate if available with Michael Jackson,Donna Summer and George Benson all having smashes with his involvement. Too bad Motown wouldn't allow them to work together after Q made a full recovery.

"Ego Trippin' Out" was supposedly about Teddy Pendergrass. He felt that Ted had much to learn about being grateful for success. While the message is nice, the focus isn't there given the reason for it's creation.

Barry White was to co produce the follow up to "Midnight Love". Genius Barry was I can't see that being a great album due to their styles being different and B.W.'s best days being far behind him in 1984. Quincy Jones would've been a prime candidate if available with Michael Jackson,Donna Summer and George Benson all having smashes with his involvement. Too bad Motown wouldn't allow them to work together after Q made a full recovery.
    Marvin was no longer signed to Motown in 84. So he could of worked with whoever he wanted at that point!
    Last edited by jboy88; 02-07-2019 at 09:58 PM.

If Marvin Gaye wrote "Ego Tripping Out" about Teddy Pendergrass, it was probably out of jealousy since Teddy had taken Marvin's place at the top of the charts [[and according to David Ritz' M.G. bio, Divided Soul, his wife Janis had "run off' with Teddy sometime around 1978-79).

ETO being about Teddy makes sense since TP was one of the original "bling-bling" acts lol

Marvin was no longer signed to Motown in 84. So he could of worked with whoever he wanted at that point!
    Marvin worked best as his own producer, I believe, at that late point in his career.

You're The Man, Gaye is clunky with this one. Not a ballad and not a dance song

heard it through the grapevine...I love Gladys and the pips version but hate Marvin's

Quote Originally Posted by mzmusik View Post
    heard it through the grapevine...I love Gladys and the pips version but hate Marvin's
    GURL, your opinion is INVALID!

I'm with you there.

Just like Do I love you by Frank Wilson, it's been done to death and both of them have recorded far superior material

Now that is something you don’t hear very often

Yo Optimal, start another one on Gladys & the Pips. I'm about to start some sh*t.

I never cared for Gladys' version. HOW ABOUT THAT!!!

Haha, Timmy being petty tonight.

But no seriously, Gladys' version was cool, but Marvin's was majestic. FIGHT ME! LOL

Don't you say ish about Marvin's version of "Grapevine". I won't allow it. [singing]Helllll noooooo-ooooo! LOL

I did get pretty sick of Marvin's version of "Grapevine" but ultimately it is a fantastic and utterly classic recording so I can't not love it really.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I did get pretty sick of Marvin's version of "Grapevine" but ultimately it is a fantastic and utterly classic recording so I can't not love it really.
    I can never get tired of it.

Marvin’s version of “Grapevine” is one of those Motown classics where admitting you don’t like it will get your fan pass revoked!

Marvin’s version of “Grapevine” is one of those Motown classics where admitting you don’t like it will get your fan pass revoked!

This may come as a shock, but in the Let’s Get It On context I really don’t like Distant Lover... to me seems out of place ... but on its own it’s superb....

Quote Originally Posted by simon.millar View Post
    This may come as a shock, but in the Let’s Get It On context I really don’t like Distant Lover... to me seems out of place ... but on its own it’s superb....
    Hmm that's a weird comment. Lol

I know you'll all give me some stick here, but I hate the Here, My Dear album and shipped it out as soon as I realised even repeated plays wouldn't make me like it.
    And the other is the Northern Soul biggie This Love Starved Heart Of Mine.
    Last edited by soulwally; 02-13-2019 at 11:52 AM.