[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I know you'll all give me some stick here, but I hate the Here, My Dear album and shipped it out as soon as I realised even repeated plays wouldn't make me like it.
    These are grounds for an uprising!

I agree, sans! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I agree, sans! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
    Sorry guys, honest...

No problems with Marvin's vocal, it's the backing track that bugs me. Recorded in California/Hitsville Golden World [[Detroit) according to Don't Forget The Motor City

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    "Ego Trippin' Out" was supposedly about Teddy Pendergrass. He felt that Ted had much to learn about being grateful for success. While the message is nice, the focus isn't there given the reason for it's creation.
    If Marvin Gaye wrote "Ego Tripping Out" about Teddy Pendergrass, it was probably out of jealousy since Teddy had taken Marvin's place at the top of the charts [[and according to David Ritz' M.G. bio, Divided Soul, his wife Janis had "run off' with Teddy sometime around 1978-79).

I wish somebody would come for my fan pass when it comes to Marvin. This here aint what you want. Trust me...

Cuz the only thing I like about Marvin's version of "Grapevine" is the intro and I don't care for "Distant Lover" either. Never have. I prefer Gladys' "Grapevine" to Marvin's any day of the week, month, year. I also prefer the Three Degrees version of "Distant" over Marvin's any day.

Anyone bothered by that will surely have a shitty day. Sorry, not sorry.

*Giving RanRan the side eye*

*Giving RanRan the side eye*
    It is what it is. Lol

The later stuff wasn't great.

I might choose Distant Lover.

And I'm one of the people that is tired of hearing I Heard It Through the Grapevine; Glady's I never get tired of; Marvin's I switch channels if it comes on Sirius

"Let's Get It On" - I understand, it is one of the premier mood makers, but all I can describe it is "unsubtle". Unsubtle, as in while more effective bedroom serenaders, such as "Turn Off The Lights" or "Feel The Fire" actually takes time to serenade, romanticize, "Let's Get It On" says it out bluntly what it was.

Yes the two I would choose are Grapevine and Let’s Get It On - maybe just overplayed and saturation

"Lets Get It On" is definitely overplayed. But man, I never get tired of hearing it. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yes the two I would choose are Grapevine and Let’s Get It On - maybe just overplayed and saturation
    They may be overplayed but they're beloved songs for a reason.

I got sick of "Let's Get It On" a while back, but I've begun to appreciate it again.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I got sick of "Let's Get It On" a while back, but I've begun to appreciate it again.
    I don't think I'll ever get sick of it or that entire album. I can listen to "Distant Lover" as the album plays, but I can't- won't- listen to it on it's own. I hear the intro and I just want to get in the tub and pop open a vein. My mother was always wild about the live version though. I heard that a lot growing up.

Just Say from the Diana & Marvin album is weak too

Motown's answer to the American Songbook. It's been said Marvin wanted to be taken as serious balladeer, ala Frankie Baby. He did not succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmusik View Post
    heard it through the grapevine...I love Gladys and the pips version but hate Marvin's
    I'm with you there.

Just like Do I love you by Frank Wilson, it's been done to death and both of them have recorded far superior material

I'm sorry but Distant Lover is one of the greatest songs ever recorded. I still don't approve.

I'm sorry but Distant Lover is one of the greatest songs ever recorded. I still don't approve.
    Especially the live version.