[REMOVE ADS]

Rick James Certainly Did His Part To Maintain Motown's Legacy Acts

Not sure how it all came about , who approached who?, but Rick James did not turn his back on the Motown stars that proceeded him. Whether he felt it benefited his career ... or theirs , or out of respect, [[or Motown strong-armed him!) no matter the motivation , I think he deserves some hefty credit.

Smokey Robinson:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-21-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Temptations:

Are there other shared projects ?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-21-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Oh he did. Few people knew that Rick wanted to produce an album for Mary Wilson. He knew many of the classic Motown artists from his time as a staff writer for Motown in the 60s also through his association with Melvin Franklin of the Temptations. They were said to be related, but I don't know for sure.

Name:  Rick James and Mary Wilson.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  64.9 KB

Rick wanted to produce every Motown legend's album...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Rick wanted to produce every Motown legend's album...
    It would have been great. It would have brought the 60s artist right up to date for the 80s.

To me,rick was a true motown artist carrying on the tradition of writing and recording with the classic stars.

I think Rick's collaborations with Motown's legacy artists were great, ESPECIALLY The Temptations' "Standing On The Top". I'd like to think Rick wanted to work with them... the results make me think that anyway.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 06-21-2019 at 08:12 PM.

May I mention, to my knowledge, the time period 1981-1982, the Temptations were utilized in:

-"Super Freak", "Ghetto Life", Melvin Franklin on "Give It To Me Baby" on Rick James' Street Songs album,

-"It Must Be Magic", "365", Melvin Franklin on "Ballad of Cradle Rob and Me" on Teena Marie's It Must Be Magic album,

-Added with Rick James, backed up with the Mary Jane Girls, for the Temptations' "Standing On The Top" on the Temptations' Reunion album.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 06-22-2019 at 04:42 AM.

^ Not to mention TEMPTATIONS SING! became a catchphrase once uttered on "Super Freak" so you won't forget the name Temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I think Rick's collaborations with Motown's legacy artists were great, ESPECIALLY The Temptations' "Standing On The Top". I'd like to think Rick wanted to work with them... the results make me think that anyway.
    " Temptations sing!!" - RJ

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    To me,rick was a true motown artist carrying on the tradition of writing and recording with the classic stars.
    Yeah! RJ wanted to"bust out of L7 square!!"