[REMOVE ADS]

Diana... 80's Film Roles

It would be interesting to know if Diana was offered or considered for any other film roles other then the Josephine Baker biop during the 80's.
    It seems she spent virtually the entire decade trying to get "Naked At The Feast" made which for various reasons that have been discussed before never came to fruition. I know of possible film projects from the 70's and 90's but not the 80's. Was it a case of Josephine or bust.

I believe she was offered the role of Angelica Nero on Dallas, which went to Barbara Carrera.

I think she was offered a part in THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK. There was also a film to be called SILENCE, in which she and Jack Lemmon would have co-starred.

If memory serves me, an earlier draft/version of “The Bodyguard” had Diana and Ryan O’Neal attached to it.

The Bodyguard would have started filming in 79, so not really an 80's pic.
    I had forgotten about Silence. Both Jack Lennon and Michael Caine were reported to be very interested in co-starring with Diana in the film. I wonder what went wrong. I think she was going to be playing a mute.
    Regarding The Witches Of Eastwick, has it ever been substantiated by anyone in the business that Diana was actually offered a part in the film. I don't think so. I do remember reading in the Taraborrelli book where he wrote "Had Diana been offered a part in TWOE, she would have probably turned it down.
    Considering how hot she was in in the first half of the 80's, i find it strange that more film roles, other then Josephine were not coming her way or at least being talked about.

I believe there was also mention of Diana doing a remake of the film DIVA, but I'm not sure if that was the late 80s or early 90s.

The color purple

Diana mentioned Diva in 95 reece. I remember thinking at the time there is as much chance of Diva being made as pink elephants flying over the moon.
    As regards the Colour Purlple, i believe Spielberg had thought of Diana a possible for the part of shug Avery along with Tina Turner. That idea was quickly vetoed by the author of the book, Alice Walker. She is quoted as saying "We had to make it clear that authenticity means not having Diana ross". I think that a massive shame as Diana would have been perfect for the part.
    I believe Chaka Khan was offered the part of Shug Avery but turned it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Considering how hot she was in in the first half of the 80's, i find it strange that more film roles, other then Josephine were not coming her way or at least being talked about.
    I think two things were going on. One, the business had not forgotten how poorly "The Wiz" was received. And while white actresses might be able to get away with a box office flop in between successes, Black actresses were not usually so lucky. Second, Diana was just a poor manager for herself. In the 70s would she have had the sense to go after the roles of Billie Holliday or Tracy Chambers had it not been for Gordy's involvement? And then the one time she actively campaigns for a role, it's Dorothy in the box office flop. We've discussed ad nauseam the many ways Diana messed up her RCA musical tenure. My personal thought has always been that she just didn't have what it took to make decisions about what she should or should not be recording. Likewise, I have to let that opinion carry over to her movie career. She certainly should've had more movies under her belt during that time but I think for the most part it was she who got in the way.

Diana mentioned Diva in 95 reece. I remember thinking at the time there is as much chance of Diva being made as pink elephants flying over the moon.
    As regards the Colour Purlple, i believe Spielberg had thought of Diana a possible for the part of shug Avery along with Tina Turner. That idea was quickly vetoed by the author of the book, Alice Walker. She is quoted as saying "We had to make it clear that authenticity means not having Diana ross". I think that a massive shame as Diana would have been perfect for the part.
    Did not know that! I can't imagine Ross playing Shug. I also don't think she would've ever been comfortable with the lesbian scene with Celie. I also imagine that Ross never lost any sleep upon learning she was not being considered for the part.

Sadly Alice Walker has turned out to be ... not quite as previously thought. Def not someone to be judging the 'authenticity' of others.

While I would live an alternate version with Ross as Shug, I cannot imagine she’d have bern any better than whoever it was lipping to Tata Vega.

Ross was, definitely, offered Witches Of Eastwick. I have a friend who worked for Ray Stark and did product development/procurement on spec at Warner’s. She wanted very much to do it, but had planned on taking the year off from big work to support her marriage, and kept Jon Peters waiting and waiting while trying to decide. Ultimately, she said no. Too bad - she’d have been ideal for it, but, today, I’m certain she felt she did the right thing.

the little i've read about her 80s movie career, Ran is right. she hampered herself significantly. She would have required top billing, been hesitant to do an ensemble piece and would have potentially wanted some production ownership/control. hollywood wasn't having it. There are far better actors that have put in far more effort and work into establishing long, successful acting careers and they've not been able to pull off those demands.

For diana to supposedly set those demands is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    While I would live an alternate version with Ross as Shug, I cannot imagine she’d have bern any better than whoever it was lipping to Tata Vega.
    That was Margaret Avery, who got an Oscar nod.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Did not know that! I can't imagine Ross playing Shug. I also don't think she would've ever been comfortable with the lesbian scene with Celie. I also imagine that Ross never lost any sleep upon learning she was not being considered for the part.
    You are most probably right Ran. I was forgetting about the lesbian scene. I seem to remember a quote from someone in the film world commenting "Diana wants it all so she is getting nothing". The 80's might have proved very different had The Wiz not been such a massive disaster.......at the time.
    Has anyone any idea the reasons why Diva never got off the ground??. I suspect given Diana's age at the time, financing the project would have proved difficult for her.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the little i've read about her 80s movie career, Ran is right. she hampered herself significantly. She would have required top billing, been hesitant to do an ensemble piece and would have potentially wanted some production ownership/control. hollywood wasn't having it. There are far better actors that have put in far more effort and work into establishing long, successful acting careers and they've not been able to pull off those demands.

For diana to supposedly set those demands is ridiculous.
    I totally agree sup. Sadly, i think Diana thought her status as a music superstar would equate to the film world.

I totally agree sup. Sadly, i think Diana thought her status as a music superstar would equate to the film world.
    I think that's the issue. She was not to film what she was to music. In the 1980s Diana could've worked with just about anybody, musically. She was certainly in a position to demand control of many musical related things because she had a body of work going back to the Supremes years that cemented her as a force of nature. As it relates to film, she just didn't have that kind of legacy to fall back on. I have to believe that everyone- including Diana and Berry- were caught off guard by just how well "Lady Sings the Blues" and the accompanying soundtrack were received. She follows that up with a film about a Black fashion designer and her issues surrounding choice of love vs career that while a box office hit, was critically panned. [[Personally I do think the script lacks some depth which didn't fully put on display the actors' abilities.) And then there was The Wiz. Nuff said. Two box office hits and one critically acclaimed performance doesn't really allow for anyone in Hollywood- then or now- to think of themselves as being in position to demand a damn thing. Had Diana had better business sense, perhaps she would have looked into partnering up with others and financing her own films if making movies is really something she was just boiling over to do. But part of me suspects that she wasn't as invested in "Diana Ross-Movie Star" as she was "Diana Ross-Superstar", and that may have had something to do with her self saboteur behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    But part of me suspects that she wasn't as invested in "Diana Ross-Movie Star" as she was "Diana Ross-Superstar", and that may have had something to do with her self saboteur behavior.
    I think this is a key issue when discussing Diana's film career. She has been quoted before as saying that music and performing are far more important to her.
    I think not getting the Josephine movie made was a personal blow to her. After investing that much time and energy [[almost a decade) in trying to get the film made i think she lost interest and enthusiasm for any other potential film roles.
    If she was going to build on the success of LSTB and consolidate her reputation as a dramatic actress, the late 70's and entire 80's was the time to do it.

Diana Ross didn't have any film roles in the 80s. No one was looking to waste that kind of money again on her after that disaster called "The Wiz".

I think this is a key issue when discussing Diana's film career. She has been quoted before as saying that music and performing are far more important to her.
    I think not getting the Josephine movie made was a personal blow to her. After investing that much time and energy [[almost a decade) in trying to get the film made i think she lost interest and enthusiasm for any other potential film roles.
    If she was going to build on the success of LSTB and consolidate her reputation as a dramatic actress, the late 70's and entire 80's was the time to do it.
    She could do take a role in a movie or tv now if she wanted even now but I doubt she’s interested

Diana's ego wouldn't have handled an ensemble film. LOL

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Diana's ego wouldn't have handled an ensemble film. LOL
    Sadly i think they may be true.
    I would like to see Diana and Streisand in a film together. There would be no singing in the film other then the films theme song. They could play two old friends/actors who meet up decades later who's lives have taken very different paths from the ones they dreamed of as girls/young women.