[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ross To Visit Oprah For First Interview With Family & First TV Performance In 4 Yrs.

Diana Ross To Visit 'Oprah' For First Interview With Family & First TV Performance In 4 Years
    Access Hollywood - 2 hours, 12 minutes ago

celebs:
    Oprah Winfrey
    Celine Dion
    Diana Ross
    Tracee Ellis Ross
    Diana Ross, Oprah WinfreyFilmMagicAccess Hollywood
    CHICAGO, Ill. -- Diana Ross will make her first television performance in four years on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" later this month -- and she's bringing her family with her,Access Hollywood has confirmed.

In addition to performing, the "I'm Coming Out" singer and former Supremes legend will also sit down for her first-ever interview with all of her children and her grandson on Oprah's February 25 episode.

PLAY IT NOW: Intimate Moments With Oprah Winfrey & Stedman Graham

Diana's children who will be appearing on the show include Rhonda Ross Kendrick, "Girlfriends" actressTracee Ellis Ross, Chudney Ross, Ross Arne Naess and Evan Ross. Diana's first grandson, Raif Henok Emmanuel Kendrick, is her daughter Rhonda's son with Rhonda's husband, jazz musician Rodney Kendrick. He was born in August 2009.

The legend, whose career spans more than five decades, will take up the entire hour of Oprah's show no doubt talking about going from her humble beginnings in Detroit to international superstar and icon.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Big Hair! Wild Fashions! Oprah Winfrey Over The Years

She is currently on the "More Today Than Yesterday" tour, which has been crossing the U.S. since late 2010.

Other guests to appear on Oprah this month include Celine Dion, who will visit on Feb. 21, and the winners at the Oscars, who will stop by her show, which tapes from the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood on Feb. 28.

Thanks, jobeterob!

miss_lish Guest
    Miss Ross is trending at number 4 in Yahoo searches:

http://dimewars.com/Blog/Diana-Ross-...b-8e8f6661f5e0

Guess the performance is I'm Coming Out.........phooey!

Get more: Diana Ross, Oprah Winfrey, TV
    Posted 02/19/2011 by Olivia Allin
    Diana Ross will make her first television performance in four years on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" and the Supremes legend will sit down for an interview with all of her children and her grandson for the first time on February 25th, as reported by Access Hollywood.

Ross, whose career spans more than five decades, will be performing her hit "I'm Coming Out" on the show and her interview will take up the entire hour. She is currently on her "Now" tour, which wraps up in Staten Island, NY on March 20, 2011.

Diana's children, Rhonda Ross Kendrick, "Girlfriends" actress Tracee Ellis Ross, Chudney Ross, Ross Arne Naess and Evan Ross [[who is currently on "90210") will join her. Her first grandson, Raif Henok Emmanuel Kendrick who was born to Rhonda and Rhonda's husband, jazz musician Rodney Kendrick in August 2009 will also make an appearance.

Ross was nominated for a Best Actress Academy Award in 1972 for her portrayal of Billie Holiday in "Lady Sings the Blues." She has won 8 American Music Awards and been nominated for twelve Grammy Awards. Ross also won a Tony award for her one-woman show "An Evening with Diana Ross" in 1977.

Ross has had eighteen number one records in her career and was listed in the 1993 "Guinness Book of World Records" as the most successful female music artist in history. Ross has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, one for her solo career and one as a member of The Supremes.

Oprah will also be welcoming Celine Dion to her show on February 21. On Friday, it was announced that David Arquette would be doing his first interview since rehab on the February 24th episode, after Michael Vick canceled his appearance.

supreme_lady Guest
    Tony DeNiro tweets today,
    "In the studio mixing @realevanross 1st single called "Yes Me" Ladies get ready, its official & will be heard on @Oprah feb 25th!!!!!"
    and
    "Mix is done History has been made...my engineer Jean Marie that mixed Micheals dangerous album just mixed @realEvanRoss 1st single! #HISTORY".

Evan's 1st single!! Can't wait!!! and it will be played on Oprah, wow!!!!!!!

Yes!!! She's performing I'm Coming Out!!!!!! I was hoping she would!!

smark21 Guest
    Sounds like she's using her appearance to give her son's music career a boost. Although will his music be something that will truly appeal to Diana Ross fans and the fraus who make up the bulk of Oprah's audience?

Diana Ross to Make Appearance on OPRAH, 3/25

Feedback Printer-Friendly E-Mail Article
    Enter Your E-Mail Address:

Monday, February 21, 2011; Posted: 12:02 PM - by BWW News Desk
    Share |

According to Access Hollywood, music legend Diana Ross is set to stop by 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' on February 25. She will perform "I'm Coming Out," and will be joined by her children and grandson.

Ross served as lead singer of the Motown group The Supremes during the 1960s. After leaving the group in 1970, Ross began a solo career that included successful ventures into film and Broadway. She received a Best Actress Academy Award nomination for her 1972 role as Billie Holiday in Lady Sings the Blues, for which she won a Golden Globe award. She won 8 awards American Music Awards, garnered twelve Grammy Award nominations, and won a Tony Award for her one-woman show, An Evening with Diana Ross, in 1977. With a career total 18 #1 records, Diana Ross is considered the most successful female recording artist of the twentieth century.

In 1976, Billboard magazine named her the "Female Entertainer of the Century." In 1993, the Guinness Book of World Records declared Diana Ross the most successful female music artist in history due to her success in the United States and United Kingdom for having more hits than any female artist on the chart. Ross is one of the few recording artists to have two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame-one as a solo artist and the other as a member of The Supremes. In December 2007, she received a John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Honors Award. Diana Ross has sold more than 150 million records worldwide.

I always felt her biggest achievement was raising 5 well behaved children, effectively as a single mother. I have to hang my hat to all mothers.....looking after one person is no mean feat, but more than one must be a nightmare!

Parents Magazine used to say "One is none, two is ten" as in having one child is like having none [[you still get some time on your own, you can sleep) whereas having two children is like having 10 children! I always agreed.

Wasn't it Jacqueline Kennedy who once said that "after you mess up raising your children, nothing else really matters, does it." And she was right.

Most celebrities are poor parents.

John is right; Diana Ross's greatest achievement was her family.

John..I dont think she was a single mother Bob was around after the divorce..and Arne was active with Evan and Ross

Here's what happened at the taping................

-Diana did two special salutes to Oprah, one live, one on tape.

-She looked and sounded fabulous, sang 3 songs.

-There was a special surprise guest [[ who was NOT a former Supreme ).

-The kids were on the show and looked amazing.

-Most relaxed, articulate interview I've seen Diana give in the US.

-Diana wore 3 different outfits, none new, but was sporting some serious bling.

-Oprah reduced to tears twice, once before the show, once during

Ok Rob,
    Who is the special guest ??
    Berry Gordy ?
    Suzanne De Passe ?
    Smokey Robinson ?
    Billy Dee Williams ?
    Her Grandson ?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

miss_lish Guest
    Okay! That's it; I'm taking off early on Friday!!

Thanks for the tease, jobetrob! You have taunted us perfectly.

supreme_lady Guest

This is just pure torture, but thanks for the tease anyway, it's sounds like a great show.
    I am going giddy with excitement and anticipation now, I wonder who the special guest was????? It couldn't be her grandson, as it has already been announced that he will be on the show, so that's not a surprise.
    I really can't wait until friday, it would be so FABULOUS seeing my Diva on TV again with her beautiful family
    Does anyone know yet whether she did talk about Michael Jackson?????
    Last edited by supreme_lady; 02-22-2011 at 03:48 AM.

I bet the special guest was Billy Dee.

supreme_lady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I bet the special guest was Billy Dee.
    Why do you think the special guest is Billy Dee???? I would have guessed more that it would be Berry Gordy because Diana is introducing her Rhonda's son on Oprah, it will make more sense for it to be Berry because he's the grandfather of Rhonda's baby.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    John..I dont think she was a single mother Bob was around after the divorce..and Arne was active with Evan and Ross
    Simon...I accept what you say and maybe I am being unfair. But my dad was around me for the whole duration of my youth and I never needed to call him on the phone, he was just always there for me, every day and every night. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned and out of touch with reality. However, I greatly admire Diana for bringing up 5 kids and managing a career as well. It couldn't have been easy.

This is going to be FIERCE!

Can't wait!

Is the special guest Barbara Martin.

I have no idea who the guest might be.

How about Mrs. Jackson bringing an errant child. Of course, she'd probably bring Jermaine, not one of Michael's.

Maybe it's Larry Hagman?

But for seriously, I am guessing Lionel Ritchie. And one of the 3 songs she sings is "Endless Love".

Or maybe RuPaul. Or Bob Mackie.

Maybe it will be Tina Duress or Linda Lorenz?

SPOILER ALERT....

Prior to showtime, most of the audience's attention was focused on the entryway where Oprah usually comes in. Diana's band [[ no horns, stage too small...but Fred and the 2 girls were there ) It was lined with people, and after a run-through by a producer signaling that the royal O herself was about to appear, there was a quick burst of noise from the other side of the studio as Oprah appeared unexpectedly. Tape was not rolling yet, and she greeted everyone. As the applause died down, she said "Miss Ross is in the house!" Place went up for grabs again. Oprah got up on the stage and, very much like the first time Miss Ross was on the show, talked at length about her influence on Oprah. "I was 10 years old an on welfare, and Diana Ross on Ed Sullivan told me that anything was possible." She expounded on that theme, talked about the importance of seeing positive reflections of yourself and how crucial it was to find your tribe. Oprah said that this was a hard interview for her because she loved and admired her so much, how it was truly a full-circle moment for her, and she promised herself she wasn't going to "ugly cry." And at that, she totally broke down sobbing. She collected herself and said she'd thought she'd cried it all out earlier that morning. Her make up people had to do an emergency touch up, and she said, "Well, she just means so much to me." Now, she was ready for the real intro.

As 'I'm Comin' Out" was being struck up, Oprah begins the intro. I couldn't hear anything she was saying because the audience got so loud. We could hear Diana beginning to sing, and on the screen the image of Miss Ross in the familiar red gown with a feathery cape is flashed, as she walks down the long hallway from her dressing room through a phalanx of people, up into the area that leads into the studio and finally into the studio itself. It was very reminiscent of LA Forum.

After the end of the number, they change the front of the set, Diana goes off stage to change. She returns wearing a black dress with a sequined wrap, looking amazing. During the interview portion, Diana is asked about the Supremes days and the process of being groomed for stardom, if and when she realized that she had become a star or if she was aware that she was an inspiration. Diana brings up Mary and Flo in glowing terms, same with Berry. At the end of the first segment, Oprah tries to go to commercial but Diana interrupts her, cues the band, and sings a "surprise" song that she dedicates to Oprah. Oprah is moved to tears. Its in the same ballpark as the It's My Turn moment. Watch the show for the song...you'll love it.

Second interview portion, Diana is asked about her marriage to Arne and what she learned from it. Among other topics that came up during the show were how she deals with paparazzi while marketing [[ great, cute story, hope they leave it in ). Oprah also says that a lot of Diana's image is unfair, and asks Diana about the "Miss Ross" issue. Oprah also asks if Diana would ever retire. She asks about the aging process, and Diana shares that she wants to age gracefully, and how she didn't want the show's make up people to use face spray on her because "I like my lines!"

Now it was time for another set change with a bigger couch, and the kids and the grandson took the stage with Diana, Oprah now in the audience. Oprah asked each of the kids what it was like to have Diana as a mother, when they knew she was "DIANA ROSS," [[ "When 800,000 people show up in Central Park to see your Mom work, you know something's going on her..." ), how she made them all feel special and not burdened by her success. Each kid had a great answer, they talked about how they were a dog family as well. Tracee got off the best line sharing a story about what Diana told them when they were kids...will leave that for the show. Also very candid stuff about how Diana helped Rhonda during her pregnancy, that Rhonda had some prior pregnancies that had not made it to term. Diana went to every dr meeting, slept on an air mattress in Rhonda's apt at times, and was present at the birth. Then, the family presented Oprah with a home-made video they made for Oprah that was hilarious and cute. Won't spoil it, but will say that you get to see how the Ross household wakes up in the AM. The family then dances and lip syncs to a dance version of I Love You. Just wonderful.

The kids then move into the first row, and they show some movie clips, Oprah asks about the movie experiences. Then comes special surprise guest, Billy Dee Williams. This segment is cute and warm, and short. Great fun seeing them together. Diana then goes off stage to change, makes a grand re-entrance singing "Ain't No Mountain" in the blue dress with the flowers on the front.

Oprah and kids join her on the stage...fade out.

A short version of the above........the special guest is Billy Dee.

Good thing I skipped this entire thread after I saw, "Here's what happened on the show..." You guys should add some sort of "SPOILER ALERT" in big letters to warn people. Not everybody wants to spoil the show.

OPRAH TWEETS

Oprah Oprah Winfrey
    Was gonna write in my journal. Thought I'd share with you all. Had the luvliest time with Diana Ross yesterday.

Oprah Oprah Winfrey
    Saw her in a whole new light. Thru the eyes of her children. U can see Friday. It was really special

Thanks JOBETEROB, for posting this info,your on the money,about everything.
    Please stay positive

So it was Billy Dee! lol

Thanks Rob
    Wish I was there.

I have never seen Oprah live in all her years on TV and I won't get to see this one so............having the surprise factor spoiled wasn't big for me.

I hope to see it on Youtube or have someone tape it if that is possible.

Anyways, will be fun.

miss_lish Guest
    I wonder if there will be an After The Show segment on Oprah's OWN network; I bet there will.

I get to catch Evan on the Monique show tomorrow at 6 AM, MST. Don't hate, congratulate!! ;oP

supreme_lady Guest
    I see that the comments on there has been turned into yet another Supremes debate/ bitching.
    When are people going to give up?????

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supreme_lady View Post
    I see that the comments on there has been turned into yet another Supremes debate/ bitching.
    Never, or at least not until they confront the shortcomings and failures in their own lives. I think they use the Supremes story to channel and release the frustrations and failures in their own lives--it's much easier to do than to have to confront their problems directly.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Never, or at least not until they confront the shortcomings and failures in their own lives. I think they use the Supremes story to channel and release the frustrations and failures in their own lives--it's much easier to do than to have to confront their problems directly.

A very apt observation, smark21.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    A very apt observation, smark21.

I hope we will see Tony Turner in the Oprah audience!!!
    LMBAO

Nice comments from liz smith

TOMORROW ON Oprah, it will be quite a day! The Big O interviews Miss Diana Ross and all five, count ‘em, five, of her children.

Despite Diana's reputation as a demanding diva, I've always liked and admired the star. I never noticed her much-criticized little ways during a time I knew her pretty well, back in the 1970's. [[Maybe she was on her best behavior, but one can only keep the veil up for so long.)

Diana got a bum rap for breaking up the Supremes and running off to have her great solo career. Could she have been "nicer" as she rose to the top under the aegis of mentor/lover Berry Gordy, the Motown mogul?

Probably. But it was Diana who was the standout, who had the unique style and voice. And if Flo Ballard or Mary Wilson had been the one to catch Berry's attentions, they'd have gone quite grand themselves. [[And not wept into their champagne over Diana.)

Look, it was fated to be. Diana behaved like a star even when she was called "Diane" just as Barbra did before removing the extra A from her name, and just as Madonna did before … well, Madonna really was her name.

Diana has raised five children, none of whom to my knowledge has been in a lick of trouble, and all of them remain devoted to their mom. I have often said that this tells a lot about the real Miss Ross.

But of course, Diana's not appearing on Oprah just for the hell of it. She's launching a tour that will take her from Choctaw, Mississippi to Staten Island, NY. And this woman puts on one hell of an entertaining show!

It will be interesting to see how Oprah handles Diana. Ms. Winfrey herself is a woman with an impressive ego and has her own definite "standards."

Found online:

The "#1s"- Diana Ross and the Supremes currently ranks at #18 on the iTunes album chart and the "Ultimate Collection" has also charted. Both titles are catalog staples on the album chart but never at this lofty position!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I hope we will see Tony Turner in the Oprah audience!!!
    LMBAO
    Now look whose bringing up TONY TURNER - let it go !
    Last edited by topdiva1; 02-25-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Supreme Icon Diana Ross

Before Oprah was even on TV, Diana Ross was in the pages of EBONY. In 1965, she and the Supremes were the cover story of EBONY. As Diana Ross the entertainer, and Diana the woman evolved EBONY followed her career and her life. Here are just some of the iconic JPC photos of Diana Ross. As the February 1970 EBONY cover story concluded, “...the dam has broken and Diana is right there, ready to ride the crest of the flood: more poised and more secure, a perfectionist with immense drive and a kind of beauty which seems to have been enhanced, rather than diminished, by the passage of years.” So true, even today.

http://ebony.com/supremeicondianaross.aspx

Some Great photos. Some are rare Supreme photos. The picture they feature along with this article is gorgeous.

Normally I dont watch Oprah and haven't seen her show in years, but I must admit this one was pretty good. It was nice to see Diana and her children. Thanks to my DJ friend I was able to catch most of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by supreme_lady View Post
    Anyone we know?

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Supreme Icon Diana Ross

Before Oprah was even on TV, Diana Ross was in the pages of EBONY. In 1965, she and the Supremes were the cover story of EBONY. As Diana Ross the entertainer, and Diana the woman evolved EBONY followed her career and her life. Here are just some of the iconic JPC photos of Diana Ross. As the February 1970 EBONY cover story concluded, “...the dam has broken and Diana is right there, ready to ride the crest of the flood: more poised and more secure, a perfectionist with immense drive and a kind of beauty which seems to have been enhanced, rather than diminished, by the passage of years.” So true, even today.

http://ebony.com/supremeicondianaross.aspx

Some Great photos. Some are rare Supreme photos. The picture they feature along with this article is gorgeous.

Thank you! Loved that! A few I had not seen before, and they were very special!

topdiva1 Guest
    Today's "O" Show was a nicely staged and paced tribute from an interesting Icon - to an even more interesting super star.

It was interesting to note that before Billy Dee Williams came out - Oprah said something to the effect that her staff said - Ms. Ross does not like surprises. And Mary Wilson would have been a shock - not a surprise honey.

All in all a wonderful and wholesome interview with Diana Ross and her children and grandchild. Nothing earth shaking but just very sweet, and enjoyable for the most part.

smark21 Guest
    Just finished watching the show, it was a nice program, nothing earth shattering or extremely memorable. Diana Ross really does light up and seemed most engaged when talking about her family. I would have liked to have had more time devoted to Ross talking about her life and career rather than family, but that's just my opinion. Of the songs she sang, I was most impressed with "It's Hard for Me to Say" as she really connected to the lyric and put across the emotion of the song and it worked well in the intimate [[if such a word can be used for the Oprah show) setting of the program.

supreme_lady Guest
    I haven't seen tthe Oprah show yet, as I live in the UK, but judging from the comments I have read so far, it sounds like a great show and interview, I so love seeing Diana and her kids and what they have to say about their mother.
    Even though I am sort of disappointed that Michael Jackson was never mentioned, I could understand why and really Oprah hasn't been kind to Michael in the past so I could see why Diana wouldn't want to go there.

I was on other MJ boards curious what people thought about her not mentioning him, and they loved her for not speaking about him to Oprah
    Guess miracles can happen...wow.
    Have always respected Diana, stand up lady.
    Diana Ross just proved again why Michael loved her so much and trust her with his children. She is really the true friend of Michael. Thank you!
    I love Diana! Beautiful woman, great mother, beautiful family and wonderful person. I enjoyed the interview.
    She totally respects Michael.
    God Bless Diana...
    Glad to hear that Ms. O stayed away from her ever inquisitive questions about Michael. Diana Ross surely made things clear in that regards I think. You gotta wonder why others could'nt do the same.
    Diana Diana Diana , i know now why MJ loved you so much!
    Chris Tucker, Debbei Rowe , Diana Ross, and Elyzabeth Taylor !they are the real deal !bless them
    Thank you Diana for not feeding Oprah's obsession. Im glad she didnt talk about him
    I'm thrilled Diana demanded respect anddid not divulge about Michael. Its also clear that family is a priority for her.
    [/quote]

I loved it !!!