[REMOVE ADS]

A Message from the First Lady of Motown

What a beautiful & charming lady she is. Motown Forever indeed

Well, Claudette may have been the first female member of a group signed to Motown, but to those of us that are of a certain age, Mary Wells was the FIRST LADY OF MOTOWN.

Mary was one of the first superstars of the label. In fact, she was known as "The First Lady of Motown."

She was the first female star at Motown to be wildly successful. Mary Wells became the first Motown female artist to have a Top 40 pop single. She was also the first Motown star to receive a Grammy nomination..

In later years, Mary Wells and Motown went their separate ways. When Mary died, she hadn't been with the label for more than 25 years… but to many of us who listened to Motown back in the early sixties, she'll always be remembered as the First Lady of Motown.

But there is no denying that when one thinks of Motown today, the undisputable face of Motown is Diana Ross.

And of course to our beloved Roberta, Dr Martha Reeves will forever be the First Lady of Motown.

I think the first time that Berry referred to Claudette as First Lady was in his book TO BE LOVED.

Love Claudette. She still looks good. She is the First Lady of Motown and is the perfect representative of the company's legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Well, Claudette may have been the first female member of a group signed to Motown, but to those of us that are of a certain age, Mary Wells was the FIRST LADY OF MOTOWN.

Mary was one of the first superstars of the label. In fact, she was known as "The First Lady of Motown."

She was the first female star at Motown to be wildly successful. Mary Wells became the first Motown female artist to have a Top 40 pop single. She was also the first Motown star to receive a Grammy nomination..

In later years, Mary Wells and Motown went their separate ways. When Mary died, she hadn't been with the label for more than 25 years… but to many of us who listened to Motown back in the early sixties, she'll always be remembered as the First Lady of Motown.

But there is no denying that when one thinks of Motown today, the undisputable face of Motown is Diana Ross.

And of course to our beloved Roberta, Dr Martha Reeves will forever be the First Lady of Motown.

I think the first time that Berry referred to Claudette as First Lady was in his book TO BE LOVED.
    Love your post. For the old timers, a good analysis.

Heaven knows what the kids think but I fear they wouldn't even know some of the names.

Go Claudette!!

Was great to meet up with my old neighbor a few years ago in Hollywood...

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Mary Wells was great, however, Berry Gordy designated Claudette as the "official" First Lady of Motown. She was there with Smokey right from the start...

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Love your post. For the old timers, a good analysis.

Heaven knows what the kids think but I fear they wouldn't even know some of the names.
    Who cares what the kids think? This is the music of mine and my parents generation. I don't much about the music the kids are listening to because I don't care!

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Was great to meet up with my old neighbor a few years ago in Hollywood...
    Great picture Stu! Thanks for sharing it.

Awwwwwww!! How lovely! Motown forever!

Claudette was always a lady of charm, elegance, grace, and class...

Claudette doesn't even look like she's approaching 80!

If she is almost 80 and looking that good, she has earned the right to be called anything she wants!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    If she is almost 80 and looking that good, she has earned the right to be called anything she wants!
    She was born in 1942 so she'll be 77.
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-29-2019 at 05:43 AM.

How graceful, charming and professional is Claudette!

She could certainly give some sound advice to those folk who appear on the motownrecords Instagram account where visual shock seems to be the order of the day most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    who cares what the kids think? This is the music of mine and my parents generation. I don't much about the music the kids are listening to because i don't care!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...marv,it's scary how much we think alike...what kids??-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!