[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes - "Medley Of Hits"

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Is the hit medley version to which you’re referring from the expanded Supremes/Tempt CD?
    Thanxal, The Supremes "Medley Of Hits" originally appeared on The Supremes "Superstar Series" LP - the album on which Side 1 contained the "Medley Of Hits" and Side 2 was a mini-Greatest Hits collection containing about 6 studio tracks. "Medley Of Hits" was a medley containing snippets from SIX Supremes [[Diana, Mary & Flo-era) songs – all of which were remixed with new electric bass lines and new drums, and, as mentioned above, an extended version of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" [[the Mono version stereo-ized without the kazoo) with a long instrumental break featuring hot handclaps. The "Medley Of Hits" was also released by Motown as an official 12" Disco Single. I remember it filled the dance floors quickly whenever the DJs spun it!

The Supremes "Medley Of Hits" has also been included on various Diana Ross / Diana Ross & The Supremes Extended CDs, but I don’t have time to check which ones at the moment.

Here is the YouTube link to audibly demonstrate: [[Many thanks to Dance Classic for posting.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzuFxrYz6bQ
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-28-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Philles/Motown Gary — When this was first released as a 12” back, I think, in 1980, I was 23 and a dance club enthusiast. It was played a lot at Buddies in Boston, and, of course, I bought the 12” of it. Shortly thereafter, a 12” was released of “Medley of Hits” by Martha & The Vandellas, again remixed with a dance beat. The songs included “Dancing in the Street,” “Ready for Love,” “Nowhere to Run,” “Jimmy Mack.”
    Although I have The Supremes “Medley of Hits” on CD compilations, I don’t remember that the Martha & The Vandellas medley was issued on a CD. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    Philles/Motown Gary — When this was first released as a 12” back, I think, in 1980, I was 23 and a dance club enthusiast. It was played a lot at Buddies in Boston, and, of course, I bought the 12” of it. Shortly thereafter, a 12” was released of “Medley of Hits” by Martha & The Vandellas, again remixed with a dance beat. The songs included “Dancing in the Street,” “Ready for Love,” “Nowhere to Run,” “Jimmy Mack.”
    Although I have The Supremes “Medley of Hits” on CD compilations, I don’t remember that the Martha & The Vandellas medley was issued on a CD. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
    Hi zani57, you're in luck! Martha & The Vandellas remixed-and-segued Medley Of Hits did indeed get a CD release! It's on Martha Reeves & The Vandellas "Superstar Series" CD. Long out of print, your best chance of finding a CD copy would be on eBay. You might also find a copy on Discogs or maybe even Amazon. There's surely a copy out there somewhere looking for a new home. Best of luck to you! Let me know if you find one. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

The Supremes medley was first released as 12 inch in 1979, b/w the "No One Gets the Prize/The Boss" medley, and then released as 45 single in 1980. If I remember correctly, it was in response to a bootleg Supremes medley that was being played in the clubs. The overdubs sound really dated and silly now [[and Diana's voice seems sped-up a bit), but I used to love that "disco" version of Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart. I always assumed the medley inspired the discofied Supremes medley in the Diana television special.

All the medleys can also be found on the "The Artists and Songs That Inspired The Motown 25th Anniversary TV Special: The Incredible Medleys" [[1983), which includes the live Four Tops / Temptations medley [[the main reason I bought the album), The Supremes and the Martha Reeves and the Vandellas medleys, as well as medleys by Gladys Knight and the Pips, The Jackson 5, and the Four Tops. As far as I know, it has never been released on CD.

Name:  Motown Medleys album.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  67.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    The Supremes medley was first released as 12 inch in 1979, b/w the "No One Gets the Prize/The Boss" medley, and then released as 45 single in 1980. If I remember correctly, it was in response to a bootleg Supremes medley that was being played in the clubs. The overdubs sound really dated and silly now [[and Diana's voice seems sped-up a bit), but I used to love that "disco" version of Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart. I always assumed the medley inspired the discofied Supremes medley in the Diana television special.

All the medleys can also be found on the "The Artists and Songs That Inspired The Motown 25th Anniversary TV Special: The Incredible Medleys" [[1983), which includes the live Four Tops / Temptations medley [[the main reason I bought the album), The Supremes and the Martha Reeves and the Vandellas medleys, as well as medleys by Gladys Knight and the Pips, The Jackson 5, and the Four Tops. As far as I know, it has never been released on CD.

I bought this album many years ago but I don't think I ever played it. I notice that one song is missing from the Supremes and Vandellas medleys.

Re the medleys, I have the Supremes, Pips, and Vandellas remix medleys on other cds. But I think it was an idea that should have stopped with the Supremes. Theirs was done very well and the segues seemed natural. But the medleys by the Vandellas and the Pips seemed forced, not to mention that adding overdubs to NEITHER ONE OF US was totally unnecessary.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the initial bootleg version that prompted Motown to release an official one:
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...elease/1443736

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Re the medleys, I have the Supremes, Pips, and Vandellas remix medleys on other cds.

Reese, which CD contains the Pips medley?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Reese, which CD contains the Pips medley?
    It is on their Superstar Series cd.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the initial bootleg version that prompted Motown to release an official one:
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...elease/1443736
    Is it the same mix just on bootleg?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It is on their Superstar Series cd.
    LOL. For some reason I thought the LP/CD had only individual songs. But nope, you're correct. Thanks Reese!

Thanks, Jaap. I did not know about this album. If isn't available on CD, I guess it doesn't matter. I agree about Diana's lead vocal being sped up. When I was a mobile DJ back in the late 1990s, I would use the pitch control on my Denon CD players to decrease the Minnie-Mouse effect on Diana's sped-up vocal track until the medley got to the "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" segment, at which point I'd quickly cancel the slower pitch and it worked great! I actually still love those remixes medleys with the new drums and bassline -- even the high-hat cymbals! Those electric bass triplets on "Baby Love" were incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Thanks, Jaap. I did not know about this album. If isn't available on CD, I guess it doesn't matter. I agree about Diana's lead vocal being sped up. When I was a mobile DJ back in the late 1990s, I would use the pitch control on my Denon CD players to decrease the Minnie-Mouse effect on Diana's sped-up vocal track until the medley got to the "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" segment, at which point I'd quickly cancel the slower pitch and it worked great! I actually still love those remixes medleys with the new drums and bassline -- even the high-hat cymbals! Those electric bass triplets on "Baby Love" were incredible.
    Before I found the CD, I ripped this from the vinyl and did the exact same thing. The result was an mp3 with a reasonable sounding Diana. They sped her up way too fast to maintain the tempo for the mix -IMHO.

You're so right, thanxal. It's amazing what we can accomplish with a bit of imagination! Back in Summer 1997, when I was shopping for new Mobile DJ equipment to start my new part-time business, Denon offered a dual CD unit with a pitch control that would allow you to change the tempo of a CD track WITHOUT changing the pitch! As it was, my new DJ system was costing me $12,000.00 which, of course, I financed. That Denon CD Player with the separate pitch and tempo controls would have cost me $1,500. I chickened out and bought the $1,000 Denon unit with the usual pitch controls that cause the "Minnie-Mouse" effect when the tempo is increased. You know, I've been kicking myself ever since. After financing $12,000, that extra $500 for the CD unit I REALLY wanted would have been mere pocket change. DJ or not, a CD player like that would have been a creative God-send for music fans like you and me. STILL kicking myself for not buying it!

You're so right, thanxal. It's amazing what we can accomplish with a bit of imagination! Back in Summer 1997, when I was shopping for new Mobile DJ equipment to start my new part-time business, Denon offered a dual CD unit with a pitch control that would allow you to change the tempo of a CD track WITHOUT changing the pitch! As it was, my new DJ system was costing me $12,000.00 which, of course, I financed. That Denon CD Player with the separate pitch and tempo controls would have cost me $1,500. I chickened out and bought the $1,000 Denon unit with the usual pitch controls that cause the "Minnie-Mouse" effect when the tempo is increased. You know, I've been kicking myself ever since. After financing $12,000, that extra $500 for the CD unit I REALLY wanted would have been mere pocket change. DJ or not, a CD player like that would have been a creative God-send for music fans like you and me. STILL kicking myself for not buying it!
    I didn't even know you could get a CD player that could do that!

Wanna hear my "still kicking myself" story? In college in Michigan, I used to go around to estate sales, etc. looking for rare Motown. I got a call one day that a lady I had bought from previously wanted to sell more of her collection. She had been a bit difficult so I passed. I found out from a friend she sold about six pristine 10" Billie Holiday records and several JATP 10" records... for $1/each. I never could get her to part with "Meet the Supremes". I had just started collecting Motown a year or two earlier and I thought her price was too high...$20.00.

I didn't even know you could get a CD player that could do that!

Wanna hear my "still kicking myself" story? In college in Michigan, I used to go around to estate sales, etc. looking for rare Motown. I got a call one day that a lady I had bought from previously wanted to sell more of her collection. She had been a bit difficult so I passed. I found out from a friend she sold about six pristine 10" Billie Holiday records and several JATP 10" records... for $1/each. I never could get her to part with "Meet the Supremes". I had just started collecting Motown a year or two earlier and I thought her price was too high...$20.00.
    Now, that's kick-yourself-in-the-butt material, for sure! And here's another one for you: When I got into CDs back in 1987, I was totally impressed with their master-tape sound quality. Having been fed up with vinyl and its inherent problems like surface noise, warping, and being pressed off-center, I sold my entire LP collection of 1,600+ LPs consisting of every Motown LP I ever owned -- and I had collected nearly all of them that I could find over the years. I sold them ALL to the husband of a lady at work for $800.00. Imagine my shock when I later found out that a lot of those very early Motown LPs -- like Amos Milburn [[Motown), Ralph Sharon [[Gordy), and The Gospel Stars [[Tamla) were worth $1,000 EACH in Near Mint condition [[which all of mine were)! And I foolishly sold the whole kit & kaboodle for a measly $800! Live and learn!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-29-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Hmm.... how much do you want for your CD collection PMG?

The DRATS medley of hits [[which had additional drums etc and ran almost 10 minutes) was on the Superstar CD and the Diana extended set for sure.

There are other medleys too - Diana Ross "All The Great Hits" has a medley that runs to over 15 minutes of segued tracks. Then there's the "Hits Medley" on their "Lost & Found Supreme Rarities" set which runs at around 4 minutes. Plus other live medleys from their shows of course.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Hmm.... how much do you want for your CD collection PMG?
    For all 6,000+ of them? Um.....$95,683,423.98 plus Shipping! HaHa! Do we have a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The DRATS medley of hits [[which had additional drums etc and ran almost 10 minutes) was on the Superstar CD and the Diana extended set for sure.

There are other medleys too - Diana Ross "All The Great Hits" has a medley that runs to over 15 minutes of segued tracks. Then there's the "Hits Medley" on their "Lost & Found Supreme Rarities" set which runs at around 4 minutes. Plus other live medleys from their shows of course.
    When Motown reissued Diana's "All The Great Hits" on CD, they eliminated the long medley. Because of that, I didn't buy it. The remaining studio tracks were all duplicates anyway.

When Motown reissued Diana's "All The Great Hits" on CD, they eliminated the long medley. Because of that, I didn't buy it. The remaining studio tracks were all duplicates anyway.
    Apparently the Supremes medley is on the 1992 CD release of All the Great Hits. They removed it from the reissue released in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Apparently the Supremes medley is on the 1992 CD release of All the Great Hits. They removed it from the reissue released in 2000.
    I wasn't aware of that, Carlo. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes I have the CD with the long medley [[which is basically segued tracks).

there was also a Smokey Robinson [[ no mention of The Miracles) Greatest Hits Medley [[1982?) that I always liked and for some reason I think it was perhaps entirely resung by Smokey as this medley?

I've always wanted to hear it to confirm that but i check periodically and it NEVER appears on YouTube.

it may have had a STARS ON 45 vibe to it, constant hand claps...
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-30-2019 at 04:23 AM.

Here it is, Boogiedown. [[Thanks to Alphonse Franklin for posting to YouTube.)

https://youtu.be/zjHHvGin3TI
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-30-2019 at 04:38 AM.

Here it is, Boogiedown.
    thank you thank you thank you Philles/Motown Gary!
    I don't know HOW you found that , believe me I've tried.

Didn't remember the "live" aspect of it. Fun Stuff. BEING WITH YOU sounds good sped up Imo.

that was a long awaited treat , I'll relisten in morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    thank you thank you thank you Philles/Motown Gary!
    I don't know HOW you found that , believe me I've tried.

Didn't remember the "live" aspect of it. Fun Stuff. BEING WITH YOU sounds good sped up Imo.

that was a long awaited treat , I'll relisten in morning.
    You're welcome, boogiedown. Glad I was able to make your day!

Now, that's kick-yourself-in-the-butt material, for sure! And here's another one for you: When I got into CDs back in 1987, I was totally impressed with their master-tape sound quality. Having been fed up with vinyl and its inherent problems like surface noise, warping, and being pressed off-center, I sold my entire LP collection of 1,600+ LPs consisting of every Motown LP I ever owned -- and I had collected nearly all of them that I could find over the years. I sold them ALL to the husband of a lady at work for $800.00. Imagine my shock when I later found out that a lot of those very early Motown LPs -- like Amos Milburn [[Motown), Ralph Sharon [[Gordy), and The Gospel Stars [[Tamla) were worth $1,000 EACH in Near Mint condition [[which all of mine were)! And I foolishly sold the whole kit & kaboodle for a measly $800! Live and learn!
    I surrender. You win on the "still kicking myself" account. Wow.

I surrender. You win on the "still kicking myself" account. Wow.
    Yeah, I'll trade my loss for yours any day! But, gotta hand it to you -- losing "Meet The Supremes" because you thought a $20 asking price was too high is funny! If only you knew then what you know now!