[REMOVE ADS]

Spinners pre-date Motown by 5 years.

I never really thought of this in his respect, but according to the following from the upcoming concerts reported today in the Free Press, the Spinners survive after 65 years -- 5 more than before Motown started.

The Spinners

It's been 65 years since Henry Fambrough co-founded one of Detroit's most enduring and beloved vocal groups. Today he's the lone surviving Spinners original, and he's leading the quintet as it continues to celebrate hits like "Games People Play," "The Rubberband Man" and "It's a Shame." 8 p.m., Andiamo Celebrity Showroom, 7096 E. Fourteen Mile, Warren. 586-268-3200. $28 and up.

Yes, the origins of the 4 Tops and the Spinners goes back to the early fifties. They had different names back then, but they changed them before coming to Motown and so Motown did not control their names as they controlled the Supremes and of Motown names.

I wonder if he tried to change their names as he changed the Primettes name

Hi!

That's correct. The Domingoes was formed in Ferndale, Michigan, in 1954 and the very first line-up was C.P. Spencer, Henry Fambrough, Pervis Jackson, Billy Henderson and James Edwards, Chico Edwards' brother.

Best regards
    Heikki

65 years is a long time going! Such a great group.

Has anyone been to the Andiamo Celebrity Showroom yet? I know it opened a couple of years ago but have not caught a show there yet.

As I've mentioned before...As an 8 year old...I sang on a talent show with The Spinners [[they were calling themselves that then) on a talent show called The Sound. I was the very last performer accompanied by my brother and cousin...I remember hanging out with them in the stairwell backstage during rehearsals and during the show and being fascinated with their doo wop harmony. This was around 1958. I happened through a mutual friend during them visiting Detroit in about 1974 or so to meet up with Billy Henderson and Purvis Jackson and during the visit, having seen the program for the show and seeing The Spinners on the program and asking them if that was them on that show. Billy got all excited and told me it was them, he remembered even the name of the Show, and mentioned the producer of the show, a guy named Ivan Bloch telling me he ran across Ivan a year earlier in Los Angeles... Their music career came along a bit more successful than mine...but I remember all that stuff well...

The Four Tops started in 1954 too lol

And the Miracles started a year later afterwards as the Five Chimes.

Detroit was really booming with doo wop groups in the mid-50s, weren't they!?

The fact the Spinners came that far is an amazing story.

Now if the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame can finally get them inducted, that would be great too...

More good info,the spinners were very underused at motown,but they had some gems-sweething-how can i-it hurts-where is that girl..great group.

I played several USO shows with the
    Spinners in the mid 1950's