[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Diana & Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    My Mistake grew on me - it was not an instant fave. I do like it but the reaction to it by just about everyone I knew was over the top. It got very spotty regional play. My brother was at MIT and told me it was on the radio all the time. Other college age buds on the east coast mentioned they liked it - which was unusual for the to mention as they were not into Diana or Marvin. Record stores from Chicago to St Louis did very well with it. My friends on the west coast never heard of it period. I think after the failure of the first single, programmers were wary to add it and the west coast was quite conservative as a rule.
    I actually heard it quite a bit here in LA.
    It was definitely more popular than You're a Special Part of Me.
    Friends here who were not into Diana or Marvin also liked the song. A couple seemed to like to sing along with Diana's scale climb at the end.

I would have released.

1. You are everything
    2. My mistake
    3. Stop, Look, Listen
    4. Just say, Just say
    5. Special part of me.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 01-28-2019 at 04:21 PM.

I would have released

1. love twins
    2. You are everything
    3. My mistake
    4. Stop look listen

Special part of me needed more of a melody and some hooks

When I first heard My Mistake on a Marvin anthology, I jam to it immediately. Everything gelled. The music, Marvin, Diana, it was pretty catchy to my ears. You're a Special Part of Me just felt flat. Good song but it felt flat... the strongest material in the album was the A&S composition and the Stylistics covers.

Just had to post Just Say, Just Say! To say they slayed this track would be an understatement. A&S were some great producers/writers!

^ Hearing this again, I think it could have been a hit. The mellow vibe and sensibility is similar to records Roberta Flack was taking to the top of the pop charts at the time.

I never liked Special Part of Me. I think a TV appearance together would have helped the whole project a lot. Sad that never happened

I think, With let’s get it on, and touch me in the morning still in the top 20 and this song coming out a month or six weeks before the album, the single it would’ve been on its way to number one And on the wonderful strength of the beautiful sound of these two voices on this record,when the album came out it would’ve soared into the top 10. Just say would have done well on every format pop, R&B, adult contemporary, quiet storm, light jazz… It would’ve been huge and love twins as a follow-up, With its fresh funky sound, not only would’ve been a smash on its own right, but convinced of those who didn’t buy the album yet that it was a must. Then it would be a coin toss, but I would probably go with my mistake and then you are everything. If the stylistics hadn’t gone gold with it first, it would’ve been a natural single.

The album did stay in the top 200 for nearly a year so it sold pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I didn't know that!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    In a BLACK STARS interview, Marilyn McLeod, co-writer of LOVE TWINS and INCLUDE ME IN YOUR LIFE, mentioned that the album went gold.

Does anyone know if everything from the Diana & Marvin sessions has now been released other then alternate vocals?.

On Wikipedia, it says it sold over a million copies world wide. It was #1 in Japan, #2 in Australia and #6 in the United Kingdom.

This is what Marvin was quoted as saying:

Gaye later said of the experience: "I'm not sure I handled the situation very well. Musically I may have overplayed my hand. I was too cavalier. I should have done everything in the world to make Diana comfortable. After all, she was making movies, recording two or three albums a year, starring in her own TV specials, and about to have a baby. I could have been a little more understanding. But I went the other way. It's hard for me to deal with prima donnas. We were like two spoiled kids going after the same cookie..."[10]

You gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In a BLACK STARS interview, Marilyn McLeod, co-writer of LOVE TWINS and INCLUDE ME IN YOUR LIFE, mentioned that the album went gold.
    I like to know how much it sold but someone who was there at the time, I can believe this. I did hear it sold half a million copies or was coming close to selling a million copies? I mean any album that stays on the Billboard 200 [[or as it was called back then, the Top LPs chart) in those days was almost certified gold!

I can tell you this . When I was a youngster in the early 80’s, whenever I would visit friends houses I would always look [[with permission) through their- usually parents, album collection. I saw this album a lot.

I love Marvin’s opening on pledging your love

Did they ever perform any of these songs live together?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    I love Marvin’s opening on pledging your love

Did they ever perform any of these songs live together?
    Marvin did "Love Twins" on his last tour.
    But no they never did any song from this album.
    But I bet if Marvin was still alive in later years, he'd probably be singing You Are Everything with her.