[REMOVE ADS]

The Moment You Knew Diana Ross Was Destined For Solo Stardom

In your opinion, what was the performance you think BEST represents Diana Ross' moving from being "merely" a lead singer of a group to showing great signs that she might truly make it on her own?

For me, I think the Leading Lady medley from GIT was really the moment the world should've taken notice that the lady might be here to stay, and that she should probably make a go at it alone. From the start of their stardom, any idiot could see that Diana Ross' voice and star quality was the key to setting the Supremes apart from the competition, and while I realize that there was some consideration- serious or not- as early as 1966 by Gordy and company to let Diana give a solo go a try, I don't think she was ready and would have fallen on her face. She was right where she needed to be. But by the time of GIT- and I imagine at that point she already knew her exit date- and that Leading Lady segment, she was definitely ready. I think that's the first time she shows the incredible talent that would captivate the world in the following decade. Prior to that she was, in my opinion, a gifted lead singer of a singing group, and very likable. But superstar? Not yet. The Leading Lady medley stars a superstar. Had I been born at the time, I would've put my money on Ross at that point, that she would succeed in the years to come.

You?

Like Hep, TCB solos, Leading Lady...... but now that I think of it, it was probably the fats Waller medley and forever came today on sullivan - I had to hold onto the arms of my chair not to get blown away…… I recall that… I subconsciously thought of mary and Cindy as disposable by then. Which is nothing against them, they simply were no longer necessary.

I’m sorry, to answer the question: the leading lady medley.

aint no mountain high enough
    lady sings the blues
    mahagony

I wasn't around when it was happening but having watched it on YouTube: Afro Vogue from TCB and the Leading Lady medley from GIT.

The very first time I saw her, I believe on Sullivan, with the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The very first time I saw her, I believe on Sullivan, with the other two.
    It might have been that. My Mother told me she particularly disliked that one in the middle who bugged her eyes out at you all the time.

So she had set herself apart right away.

But two other moments were TCB and definitely, Lady Sings the Blues.

I'd agree with the Forever Came Today and Fats Waller Medley Sullivan appearance. She had such a confidence about her by this point that she didn't the years prior.

Thinking back to clips I’ve seen, I would say those times she did those dance routines. One with Sammy and the other dancing with that guy- can’t remember his name, but they danced to “The Soulful Strut”. Truthfully, there were many performances while with the Supremes where you could just tell that she had “It”. There are certain performers that come along where their appeal and talent cannot be denied. They just stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Thinking back to clips I’ve seen, I would say those times she did those dance routines. One with Sammy and the other dancing with that guy- can’t remember his name, but they danced to “The Soulful Strut”. Truthfully, there were many performances while with the Supremes where you could just tell that she had “It”. There are certain performers that come along where their appeal and talent cannot be denied. They just stand out.
    The dancing guy in question is the legendary dancer/choreographer/director Donald McKayle, who passed away last year.

I can only answer by clips I've seen; my choice would be the "Funny Girl" medley from Sullivan. Or their performance of "Always". It's been a while since I've watched either, but memory seems to think that Diana opens both of these performances solo; tight shots of her alone, and the Supremes come in much later for the backgrounds an chorus. It was like TV was pushing how long we can get away with having the DRATS on, but only featuring Diana.

From 'You Can't Hurry Love' I could see that she was pushing herself to the limits of being in a group. After Florence left it was simply a matter of time!

Growing up as a Supremes fan, I didn't think or want to think about Diana Ross going solo. Which is strange now to me, because she always was the reason I loved the Supremes. When they became DRATS, I saw what the bigger picture looked like for the group and Motown.
    I think I realized she could indeed be a big solo pop star with the Funny Girl album and the subsequent Sullivan performance. TCB's Somewhere and GIT's Leading Lady medley clinched it. Although I didn't know Love Child and Someday We'll Be Together were essentially Diana Ross solos, they made me feel she could be competitive with anyone on the record charts as well.
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough was a big validation [[and a big sigh of relief!).
    She became a Superstar with Lady Sings The Blues and Touch Me In The Morning [[and the rest is history!)
    Last edited by lucky2012; 01-27-2019 at 10:35 PM.

the first time I heard WDOLG on a car radio in 1964 without even seeing her,just the voice and the delivery I was GONE!!!SOLD AMERICAN!!!

Ditto Jimi - First time I heard her voice on the radio I was in love with it. Did not care about any background singers, and still don't. It was the lead voice that made the ol' heart melt. I can't remember for sure, but I think that first song was Stop!

Good question RanRan. For me, the first moment I felt that Diana Ross was destined for solo stardom was when I heard "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" [[the full length version). And the various TV specials, movies & hit singles over the years simply confirmed her stardom.

Personally....I believe it looks quite "cemented" in the Reflections video with the silver gowns...that was a major glam up for them too.