[REMOVE ADS]

Executive Producer: Berry Gordy

The thread on Diana’s record deals after Motown got me to thinking. I have often wished that Diana team up with Berry Gordy to executive produce an album for her. I cannot think of anyone better. He may not have his pulse on today’s music anymore but I bet he still has a pulse on what music Diana should record. I am not exactly sure what an executive producer does, but I am guessing they are responsible for coordinating the choice of songs, musicians, producers, and writers. I don’t think Diana should try to appeal to the record buying public in general but more to her fans who I suspect would love a new album by her.

That's an interesting suggestion. I think Diana is clearly past the point where her number one concern when recording new music is appealing to the general public for chart position and platinum sales. I would think artistic expression would be her priority. That's not to say that she wouldn't want the project to be a success. The woman has an ego, as does everyone else in the business, and I doubt if that has really diminished with age. But could Berry steer Diana into her latest project of artistry? I don't know. When's the last time Gordy has produced any music? The 80s? And what was that? IMO, even Gordy's 60s productions were rarely part of the incredible section of the Motown catalog.

I just listened to some of Lamont Dozier's Reimagination album and I have to wonder if maybe reuniting him with Diana for a project might be a good idea. His album seems to be mostly acoustic, and her album certainly doesn't have to be, but it seems like he did such a good job of producing himself that I wonder if he'd be able to tap into what Miss Ross should do that might remove the flat taste of I Love You. Certainly Valerie Simpson producing Diana again might be interesting. Daryl Hall possibly. Lionel Richie definitely. An entire Stevie project might also yield interesting results.

I just don't think she should be producing herself.

Maybe a Diana Ross Produced and Arranged By Mary Wilson might work.

RR79, reuniting Diana with the writers/producers you mentioned is exactly what I have been thinking with Berry being the coordinator of such an album. I have mixed feelings about her re-interpreting the Supreme music even with HDH. I would love to see her reunite with some songs from HDH, Valerie, Stevie, and Smokey. I only wish that Michael Masser and Deke Richards were still with us. I think all these writers/producers would know exactly the kind of song or music she excels at - whether it be a new one or a re-interpretation. I have to think she is at a point in her career, where she would turn the reins over to Berry and writers that she has worked with many times over the years.

Anyway, wishful thinking on my part.

I don't want her doing any reinterpretations of her music. If she wants to give that a try, she should revamp some of the hits in her live act to satisfy that need. If she's going to record new music I think the songs should either be originally new or new covers or a mixture of both. I really hope she releases some new product soon. She's enjoying another resurgence in popularity lately so she should be capitalizing on that as much as possible. Perhaps one of the planned celebrations for her 75th year is a new album of new music. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Maybe a Diana Ross Produced and Arranged By Mary Wilson might work.
    YES!!! Next up, a Donald Trump reality show produced by Nancy Pelosi.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    YES!!! Next up, a Donald Trump reality show produced by Nancy Pelosi.
    Oh that would be a ratings bonanza!! I think that's going to pull in better numbers than the Colin Kaepernick appreciation special hosted by Gladys Knight, which is supposedly going to be something not to be missed.