[REMOVE ADS]

"Come To Me": Marv or Mary, which version do you prefer?

As we mark the 60th Anniversary of Motown, let's talk about the label's first release, "Come To Me". Which version of the song do you prefer: Marv Johnson's original or Mary Wells' remake [[my pick is Mary's version).

I'm gonna have to go with Mary. I love the original just for nostalgic purposes but Mary gave it that extra spunk imho

I prefer Mary's version over Marv's even though I love them both. I don't really compare them to be honest because they were both products of their time. Not to mention the acoustics of the respective studios they were recorded in that played a part sound wise: United Sound and Hitsville. I especially think Benny Benjamin's drumming was incredible on Mary's version. Highlighting his metronomic sense of time[[ he wasn't a millisecond off) and fast fills.

INHO I prefer Mary´s version. The vocal accompaniment by The Love-Tones [[I think) it´s amazing ;-)

Not a fan of either version, but I prefer Mary's to Marv's.

I have to wonder what success the two of them would have had if they had recorded as a couple like Mary did with Marvin Gaye. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I have to wonder what success the two of them would have had if they had recorded as a couple like Mary did with Marvin Gaye. Food for thought.
    I doubt if that would've come to fruition even if United Artists didn't acquire Marv. I can't hear them sounding like lovers or even great friends convincingly. The styles don't mesh to me. If Marv had settled in and Mary never left and the idea came up,disadvantage would probably still it. Marv had ruined nearly all his relationships in the industry at that point[[including the one with Berry Gordy) and the jocks would sabotage it. Mary would be lending a helping hand in reviving his career in agreeing to do it if nothing else. At least Marvin's stock was rising, Marv had cooled off considerably. Honest evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I doubt if that would've come to fruition even if United Artists didn't acquire Marv. I can't hear them sounding like lovers or even great friends convincingly. The styles don't mesh to me. If Marv had settled in and Mary never left and the idea came up,disadvantage would probably still it. Marv had ruined nearly all his relationships in the industry at that point[[including the one with Berry Gordy) and the jocks would sabotage it. Mary would be lending a helping hand in reviving his career in agreeing to do it if nothing else. At least Marvin's stock was rising, Marv had cooled off considerably. Honest evaluation.
    Didn't know Marv was being blackballed... wow... Marvin became the leading male Motown star that Marv Johnson never quite became.