[REMOVE ADS]

The Isley Brothers 1966 - "I Hear A Symphony" MOTOWN

Do you like this?

Good cover version; Ron Isley “feels” the song he’s singing. Evidently it wasn’t finished since there are no backing vocals by the other brothers. Of course, Diana, Mary and Flo own this tune.

Great version! Never noticed the lack of backing vocals before but now you mention it mowest it would be better with some!!

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Good cover version; Ron Isley “feels” the song he’s singing. Evidently it wasn’t finished since there are no backing vocals by the other brothers. Of course, Diana, Mary and Flo own this tune.
    Yes, I kinda thought the same with no backing vocals. I would have loved to hear what they could do with My World Is Empty Without You". Ron Isley and Levi Stubbs were tremedous!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Do you like this?

The Isley's version of "I Hear A Symphony" is nicely done but IMHO, it doesn't hold a candle to The Supremes' classic take on the song.

Yes I have always loved it.

Yes I prefer The Isleys to The Supremes version. More symphonic methinks. Barbara McNair's version is third choice.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 01-22-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Yep,very cool indeed.

Was Motown trying to get Ron a solo contract? It's also not the first time Ron had recorded a song at Hitsville by himself. Sounds like Phil Spector's recordings with Tina Turner around this same time...

Just to answer the question [["Do you like this?") and not to be mean. No. Their versions of the the HDH songs didn't quite 'hit the spot' with me. My opinion is not to diminish their talent.

Half of the songs on the This Old Heart Of Mine album overlap with the Supremes: "Stop! In The Name of Love," "This Old Heart of Mine," "I'll Guess I'll Always Love You," "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love," "Put Yourself In My Place," and "I Hear A Symphony." I really like their version of "Stop!" particularly the intro. And The Supremes' version of "This Old Heart of Mine" equals the original. My favorite song on the album, though, is "Take Some Time Out For Love."

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Half of the songs on the This Old Heart Of Mine album overlap with the Supremes: "Stop! In The Name of Love," "This Old Heart of Mine," "I'll Guess I'll Always Love You," "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love," "Put Yourself In My Place," and "I Hear A Symphony." I really like their version of "Stop!" particularly the intro. And The Supremes' version of "This Old Heart of Mine" equals the original. My favorite song on the album, though, is "Take Some Time Out For Love."
    Looks like there were intended versions of Symphony and My World Is Empty for Billy Eckstine that never got vocalised

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Just to answer the question [["Do you like this?") and not to be mean. No. Their versions of the the HDH songs didn't quite 'hit the spot' with me. My opinion is not to diminish their talent.
    But you wouldn't say you dislike them jobu? I'd like to think that they're pleasant at worst. I do feel like a little something is missing though.

When I bought "Soul On The Rocks", aside from Painted Smile I kinda thought so what. Over the years I've grown to love their work more and more. Their vocals and harmonies are amazing. Really wish they'd had more opportunities at Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yes I prefer The Isleys to The Supremes version. More symphonic methinks. Barbara McNair's version is third choice.
    I’m very fond of this version. Also, Ron handles the key changes more comfortably than The Supremes IMHO.

My favourite tracks from the album are “There’s No Love Left” in the ‘mono’ mix and “Seek And You Shall Find”.

I say ‘mono’ because that mix is actually a fold-down of an alternate stereo mix, as is the ‘mono’ mix of TOHOM.

I like the Isley's take on this song. I also like the Supreme's take as well, along with LOVING both groups takes on"I Guess I'll Always Love You".

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    When I bought "Soul On The Rocks", aside from Painted Smile I kinda thought so what. Over the years I've grown to love their work more and more. Their vocals and harmonies are amazing. Really wish they'd had more opportunities at Motown.
    Motown wouldn't have allowed them much freedom. They left at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Motown wouldn't have allowed them much freedom. They left at the right time.
    I can still picture the TNeck single of "It's Your Thing" in my mind, dancing at my cousin's house in 1969/1970 or so. What an impact that song made! Sounded a little TOO risque for Motown at that time.

"There's No Love Left" is my fave Isley's Motown recording, followed closely by "I Can't Go On Sharing Your Love".

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    But you wouldn't say you dislike them jobu? I'd like to think that they're pleasant at worst. I do feel like a little something is missing though.
    TomatoTom123, I do not dislike them. It's just my ears which could never relate to their sound. But again, from their success, they definitely have appealed to others which is all good.

I think they would have been great on one of the Motown gospel albums

I am a bit bias, I think the Isley Brothers sounded good whatever they sang from the 50's and onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    TomatoTom123, I do not dislike them. It's just my ears which could never relate to their sound. But again, from their success, they definitely have appealed to others which is all good.
    I hear you jobu

The Supremes own "I Hear A Symphony", as it's practically their theme song. However, I also love the versions by The Isley Brother[[s), Michael Jackson, and Barbara McNair. It being one of H-D-H's prettiest compositions, and as talented as Motown's artists were, I think it would be hard for any of them to mess it up. The only exception might be if a producer/arranger gave it a totally different arrangement like a rock n' roll beat [[ala The Mynabirds or The Messengers) or a cha-cha beat [[like Motown's pre-64 sound) which would probably ruin that beautiful song for me. But, so far, all of the Motown covers have been true to the Supremes' original arrangement which makes them all very special to me.

Lamont Dozier's version is slower. In fact I think there are three versions of it on his album of Motown faves. I do like Stevie Wonder's version too.

I, too, love Stevie's version of "I Hear A Symphony", mysterysinger. I had temporarily forgotten about that one. Had I searched through my word-processor Motown Playlist [[which contains each and every Motown recording that I own on CD), as I should have, I would have been reminded of Stevie's version -- which is really pretty and among my favorites.

I had never heard Lamont's non-Motown version before. I checked it out on YouTube, along with the rest of his Motown covers, and you're right -- it is SLOW!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-25-2019 at 11:22 AM.

I store all my CDs as mp3s on my personal cloud [[a glorified disc drive). I use Windows media player to access. So no need for separate lists [[but of course I have to rip everything first). I also won't delete multiple copies of the same song in case of any differences and to maintain album integrity). Instant access works for me lol

Sounds like you have it well-covered, mysterysinger!

My Motown Playlist consists of every Motown artist alphabetized by last name. Within each artist is a separate entry for each individual CD title by that artist -- again listed alphabetically. Within each CD title, I listed the title of each song alphabetically - with each song title on a single-disc set ending with a 1/_ [[the 1 indicating the Disc #; and the _ indicating the track number of that song. For example, a 3-disc CD set by The Supremes listing "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" - 3/5 would mean that song is on Disc 3/Track 5 on that box set.

Believe me, setting it all up was a LOT of work, but I had no other choice. It's the only way I can keep track of what I have in my collection. But, it is also a labor of love, as I maintain this cataloguing for all genres in my CD collection [[Philles, Girl Groups, Dance/Disco/Club, Country, Jazz, etc.)

What we don't go through for our favorite hobby!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-25-2019 at 04:21 PM.

I love it !!!!