[REMOVE ADS]

Mooz-lum' Exceeds Box Office Expectations and Rolls Out to Additional Markets

Mooz-lum' Exceeds Box Office Expectations and Rolls Out to Additional Markets
    Social media and grassroots marketing play key role in the indie film's success

By Peace Film

Published: Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2011 - 11:38 am
    NEW YORK, Feb. 15, 2011 -- /PRNewswire/ -- Peace Film -- The numbers are in! Mooz-lum, the independently produced and distributed film that has sparked a social media movement, exceeded expectations at the box office last weekend, earning $12,712 per screen -- one of the highest per screen averages in the country. AMC Theatres® [[AMC) had the film exclusively in 10 cities on 11 screens.

By comparison, films like Just Go With It and Justin Beiber: Never Say Never, both of which opened on over 3,000 screens each, averaged $8,601 and $9,505 per screen, respectively.

The rate at which movie-goers packed the theaters to see Mooz-lum proved the film's viral marketing approach – drawing heavily on Eventful Demand it!, Facebook and Twitter along with word-of-mouth promotion and targeted public relations – is working.

Mooz-lum's social media campaign marked the first time that film lovers have had the power to decide where an independent film should be released. Since the campaign launched in late 2010, more than 56,000 fans have "Demanded" that the film be shown in AMC Theatres® local markets.

"I always knew that if we could just get this film to the people, they'd show up," says Mooz-lumwriter/director Qasim Basir. "And although we didn't open in every city, those people should know that we're coming."

AMC and Mooz-lum used movie lover Demands to determine the first 10 cities the film opened in. And as a result of Mooz-lum's strong opening, AMC Theatres® is expanding the film to the next 5 cities based on Demand counts:

Columbus, OH - AMC Lennox Town Center 24
    Elizabeth, NJ - AMC Jersey Gardens 20
    Minneapolis, MN - AMC Block E 15
    Phoenix, AZ - AMC Arizona Center 24
    Seattle, WA - AMC Pacific Place 11

Additionally, AMC is adding another screen, AMC Southlake Pavillion 24, in Atlanta.

"We are always exploring new distribution platforms to help independent filmmakers tell their stories through our AMC independent® program," said Nikkole Denson-Randolph, vice president, specialty and alternative content, AMC. "We are so proud to be a part of Mooz-lum's success and glad this important movie appealed to so many of our guests."

Said the film's producer Dana Offenbach: "AMC paved the way for us to get this film to our audience and we are extremely grateful for the opportunity."

Mooz-lum stars Evan Ross, Nia Long and Danny Glover. The film has received glowing reviews from critics from the L.A. Times, Variety and the Chicago Sun-Times:

LOS ANGELES TIMES - "Well-crafted in all aspects, 'Mooz-lum' is not only rich in nuance, but also an engrossing entertainment made with skill and passion."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2155822.story

VARIETY - "Evan Ross impresses with an implosive performance as Tariq Mahdi..."

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117944549?refcatid=31

CHICAGO SUN TIMES -"When Basir speaks of and presents Muslim-Americans, he knows what he is doing and knows the characters he is presenting. This point alone makes this film a long awaited breath of fresh air."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/foreignc/2011/02/moozlum.html

POPCORN REEL - Ms. Long is a worthy contender for next year's Academy honors as a steadfast woman in a male-oriented environment...It's one of the fullest, authentic and compassionate portrayals of a woman I've seen on screen lately. The scale and care she invests in her character merits Ms. Long a nomination."

http://www.popcornreel.com/htm/moozlumrev.html

Mooz-lum is currently playing at these AMC Theatres®:

New York City - AMC Empire 25
    Atlanta - AMC North Dekalb Mall 16
    Chicago - AMC River East 21
    Los Angeles - AMC 30 at the Block and AMC Covina 30
    Philadelphia - AMC Franklin Mills Mall 14
    Detroit - AMC Star Fairlane 21
    Houston - AMC Studio 30
    San Francisco - AMC Loews Metreon 16
    Dallas - AMC Grapevine Mills 30
    Washington, D.C. - AMC Hoffman Center 22

For more information, visit www.moozlumthemovie.com or www.facebook.com/moozlumthemovie.

SOURCE Peace Film

miss_lish Guest
    Nice. Evan's fixxin' to blow up! I wonder if Tony Turner will share what Evan said at the Oprah taping he attended.

Looks like the film is doing well although I think this is PR hype from the company............but you have to have faith in your product.

He will if he is Sean R!

miss_lish Guest
    Sean R will attend the taping that is still to take place; apparently attended the taping that has already took place. Tony Turner will scoop Sean R on this one. Trust and believe!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    Sean R will attend the taping that is still to take place; apparently attended the taping that has already took place. Tony Turner will scoop Sean R on this one. Trust and believe!
    Likely the real scoop that needs attending to is why jobeterod always defends elegantsoul - a known racist.

Perhaps the view from Vancouver is somewhat icy and slick.
    Last edited by topdiva1; 02-20-2011 at 02:49 PM.

I don't defend racists or liars or mean spirited people; you guys from Stirfry and these other places have too much history. I don't know anything Elegant even did except for the pharmacy newstory Marv graced us with. It wasn't becoming of anybody, the poster or the postee.

I always heard that the biggest jealousies started over who got all the best promo stuff out of Motown. I heard there was huge jealousy of Motown Fan because he got everything.

Vancouver never gets snowed in; might get icy and slick but never snowed in.

Finally we will get to see Evan sit down with Monique on Wednesday's show. BET - 11:00pm . Double dose of Evan this week! He's debuting his first single called "Yes Me" on Oprah this friday~!! Wow! This is too good to believe! I wonder what his sound is like...I guess we will see!

And, as expected, the film is generating lots of defensive, paranoid criticism from the right-wing...

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    Well here you go again MissLish bringing up Tony Turner when no one has mentioned him, at all on this thread.

WHY?

I just thought I would point that out to others - how you always use the name of Tony Turner to start sh_T. You are so messy.

Posted online:

Finally we will get to see Evan sit down with Monique on Wednesday's show. BET - 11:00pm . Double dose of Evan this week! He's debuting his first single called "Yes Me" on Oprah this friday~!! Wow! This is too good to believe! I wonder what his sound is like...I guess we will see!