[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Is there any truth in the rumour that Mary Wilson was briefly considered for the part of Dororthy in the film version of The Wiz.
    She was only considered for the part of Evilene, the Wicked Witch of the West. Michael Jackson suggested it.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    She was only considered for the part of Evilene, the Wicked Witch of the West. Michael Jackson suggested it.
    This is too funny. Lol

SMELLING SALTS and fainting couch, please!! How DARE we denigrate MISS Mar-uh Wil-SUN, soopastah?? Well allRIGHT OH yeah Un-huh EVERYBODY gets to go to the moon!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 01-24-2019 at 07:55 PM.

When I first suggested that on here many years ago, many people took it for the truth.

Which is all fine and also some posters deserve that poke in the eye.

But I'm not wild about anyone poking any of the Supremes too many times; I think they all ignore it anyways; especially Diana because at that level of celebrity, it goes with the territory. But it's harder for Lynda and Mary in particular.

When I first suggested that on here many years ago, many people took it for the truth.

Which is all fine and also some posters deserve that poke in the eye.

But I'm not wild about anyone poking any of the Supremes too many times; I think they all ignore it anyways; especially Diana because at that level of celebrity, it goes with the territory. But it's harder for Lynda and Mary in particular.
    My interest in Mar-uh is at about the same level with her Q Score, but I, too, have fun with her fans. Who are really mostly people who just don't like Diana. Cold in Canada? Monday it was zero degrees in NJ. Almost as cold as our flotus in bed. Today? 58.

One of the mildest west coast winters but many are mild these years- it’s not climate change of course!!

I just missed the fainting couch and hit the deck!"£$%^&*.
    On a slightly more serious note.....I think Mary would have made a really good Evilene. NOTand i repeat NOT because i think she is in anyway nasty, but rather i think the role would have suited her voice and she has shown us she can indeed act.

Rob, that's not nice lol

I think Mary would have made a really good Evilene. NOTand i repeat NOT because i think she is in anyway nasty, but rather i think the role would have suited her voice and she has shown us she can indeed act.
    I'm going to disagree here. I don't think Mary has ever possessed the acting chops to do what Mabel did in the role, nor could she have handled "No Bad News" vocally. If I were going to give Mary a part in the movie it would've been as Miss One. I think Mary would've done a good acting job with it and would've done an excellent job with "He's the Wizard". Today I also think Mary could play Glenda the Good Witch and I think she would do a wonderful job on "Believe In Yourself".

I can imagine Mary singing "Believe in Yourself" now. It's the type of song she would slay.

I think she would have had to rely on the talk type of singing she does and I don't think anyone from a big production would have gone along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm going to disagree here. I don't think Mary has ever possessed the acting chops to do what Mabel did in the role, nor could she have handled "No Bad News" vocally. If I were going to give Mary a part in the movie it would've been as Miss One. I think Mary would've done a good acting job with it and would've done an excellent job with "He's the Wizard". Today I also think Mary could play Glenda the Good Witch and I think she would do a wonderful job on "Believe In Yourself".
    Perhaps on reflection Mary lacks that throaty growl that Mabel King possessed. I do agree that "Believe In Yourself" might be better suited to her voice.
    It would have been interesting if the cast had included additional motown performers. Martha Reeves as Miss One, Marvin Gaye as the Tin Man, Levi Stubbs as Lion. Keep Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow as he was so cute in the role.
    Mary wilson as a Poppy Girl...........JOKE!!!.............Bad one.

Perhaps on reflection Mary lacks that throaty growl that Mabel King possessed. I do agree that "Believe In Yourself" might be better suited to her voice.
    It would have been interesting if the cast had included additional motown performers. Martha Reeves as Miss One, Marvin Gaye as the Tin Man, Levi Stubbs as Lion. Keep Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow as he was so cute in the role.
    Mary was sexy enough to be a Poppy Girl, that's for sure.

moving on ...

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Scroll past the first two clippings, read, and weep:

https://lacienegasmiled.wordpress.co...ephanie-mills/
    awwwwwwwww

Mary was sexy enough to be a Poppy Girl, that's for sure.
    Yes she was, very much so.
    I think Motown Sings Songs From The Wiz might have made for a creative release. Imagine what Marvin could have done with "What Would I Do If I Could Feel. His soulful tones caressing the poignant lyrics.
    In hindsight it really would have been so much better if Diana had made a cameo appearance in the film playing Glinda. I'm sure she would have looked stunning and sounded great.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I can imagine Mary singing "Believe in Yourself" now. It's the type of song she would slay.
    Definitely. I keep saying it, Mary Wilson is one of the legends whose voice just seems to get better with age.

I think Motown Sings Songs From The Wiz might have made for a creative release. Imagine what Marvin could have done with "What Would I Do If I Could Feel. His soulful tones caressing the poignant lyrics.
    In hindsight it really would have been so much better if Diana had made a cameo appearance in the film playing Glinda. I'm sure she would have looked stunning and sounded great.
    Well considering how popular the movie eventually became, I don't think anyone other than Diana should've played Dorothy. But I do understand your logic.

I also think your Motown Sings idea is a great one. Marvin on "What Would I Do"...OMG, I'm salivating at the very thought!!! How about Thelma Houston on "No Bad News"? Rick James on "So You Wanted to Meet the Wizard" or "Mean Ole Lion"? Switch on "You Can't Win"?

I was sad Diana wasn't called to play Glinda in the NBC version of The Wiz... that would've been great.

Definitely. I keep saying it, Mary Wilson is one of the legends whose voice just seems to get better with age.
    It does. I love her voice from the later years!

I saw an article this morning calling The Wiz an iconic movie

Strange how things change

Oooh I really love that idea! I can't believe BG didn't think of that one to begin with! I would have Berry and Mary [[in makeup for her to look older) as Uncle Henry and Aunt Em. I agree with everyone else have casted, I can totally see Martha as Miss One. I think Flo would have been a great choice for Glinda. Flo and Diana had that special relationship like Glinda and Dorothy had [[whether fans want to believe it or not).

I saw an article this morning calling The Wiz an iconic movie

Strange how things change
    It indeed is an iconic film lol

I know its out of subject but if i make a Thread on my own I'll get no attention.....My question is...Is there anybody who knows there's some Flo Ballard video footage of 1973 to 75 ???

How can i contact Mary Wilson ??? I need to speak to her in a hurry....

Quote Originally Posted by Marty CanFly View Post
    How can i contact Mary Wilson ??? I need to speak to her in a hurry....
    There are ways and means Marty.