[REMOVE ADS]

The Andantes Mystique

I'm sure this has been addressed on the board before, but it warrants a new mention

What happened with the Andantes?

A lot of the session singers of the day went on to become stars in their own right. Their Motown cohorts the Originals and Spinners stood on their own with releases eventually. Even the Blackberries got studio time, even though their album wasn't released. The Blossoms[[one of my absolute favs) and the Sweet Inspirations [[to name a few) branched out as well. It's odd that such beautiful voices would not be allowed to shine in their own right. Which brings up another point. Why was Ann Bogan utilized on both sides of the one single that bore their name? I'm sure Louvain would have loved to give her take on it.

Were the ladies not interested in performing live on a regular basis? I understand that a few of them were married with children, but a lot of the female singers like Merry Clayton and Cissy Houston were too. I don't think age was an issue after all Mable John was in the Raelettes.

Do you suspect things have been different if Emily Phillips had stayed with Marlene and Jackie? In all interviews I've read it seems that they [[Marlene and Jackie) were ready to throw in the towel after she left.

I would love if Louvain would chime in, as I know no one here truly has the answers but it's something that I have been pondering a lot lately.

Motown did have an abundance of female groups but why not one more?

Where is their vaulted material? Did they ever do scratch vocals for other artists that may be on tape? I just find it odd that we are getting releases by some of the most obscure artists but nothing on our ladies. It's all very mysterious to me.

I believe in AARP recent article Louvain says she was the only one interested in a singing career and was disappointed it didn’t happen and Motown kept them under wraps as kind of being a secret weapon .

Quote Originally Posted by CoolKatz View Post
    I'm sure this has been addressed on the board before, but it warrants a new mention

A lot of the session singers of the day went on to become stars in their own right. Their Motown cohorts the Originals and Spinners stood on their own with releases eventually. Even the Blackberries got studio time, even though their album wasn't released. The Blossoms[[one of my absolute favs) and the Sweet Inspirations [[to name a few) branched out as well. It's odd that such beautiful voices would not be allowed to shine in their own right. Which brings up another point. Why was Ann Bogan utilized on both sides of the one single that bore their name? I'm sure Louvain would have loved to give her take on it.

Were the ladies not interested in performing live on a regular basis? I understand that a few of them were married with children, but a lot of the female singers like Merry Clayton and Cissy Houston were too. I don't think age was an issue after all Mable John was in the Raelettes.

Do you suspect things have been different if Emily Phillips had stayed with Marlene and Jackie? In all interviews I've read it seems that they [[Marlene and Jackie) were ready to throw in the towel after she left.

I would love if Louvain would chime in, as I know no one here truly has the answers but it's something that I have been pondering a lot lately.

Where is their vaulted material? Did they ever do scratch vocals for other artists that may be on tape? I just find it odd that we are getting releases by some of the most obscure artists but nothing on our ladies. It's all very mysterious to me.
    I can't answer you definitively, but I can offer an opinion. There are millions of people with great singing voices. Visit any church of any denomination, any high school giving a choir performance, and you will hear great singers. However. Very, VERY, few people have individuality and star power. For example, Florence Ballard, Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson all had 'it'. The Andantes did not. 'Greater' voices than those whose records appeared on? Maybe. But, as in the case of the much-mythologized Merry Clayton, not really born to be STARS.

It's no mystery at all. While Motown appreciated the background vocals of The Andantes, they were simply not viewed as potential recording stars by the company. In the feature on The Andantes from AARP Magazine's article about Motown's 60th Anniversary, the group was even not notified that the label was moving from Detroit to Los Angeles [[and they were still owed a paycheck at the time of the move).
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 01-21-2019 at 06:51 AM.

I always thought that the group just visually would not have fit with Gordy's ideas of visible singing sensations. And then at a certain point the group became so integral as in house backing vocalists that pushing them into the limelight still didn't fit with the program. What I was always surprised about was that the group didn't continue [[as far as I know, please correct me if wrong) to be in demand backing vocalists post Motown. Their voices were on tons of hit records, their talent was undeniable, but were other labels and artists not calling?

Smile The Andantes - Brilliance!

I have always thought of The Andantes as being superb as just listen to them in the background on so many Motown records in the 60's and there was their single "Like A Nightmare" in 1964 on V.I.P. label I've added 602 Motown tracks to my You Tube of a lot of their background vocals. I'm in the UK and have been a fan of these since Motown started too! I was honored by Louvain commenting on one of the tracks I'd added as she remembered it well. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them. Maybe you'd like to listen to some of them, I added most under my own name. Many thanks to all. John G Byrne

They were background singers. They had no mystique. That's all 'ya need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownMagic1959 View Post
    I have always thought of The Andantes as being superb as just listen to them in the background on so many Motown records in the 60's and there was their single "Like A Nightmare" in 1964 on V.I.P. label I've added 602 Motown tracks to my You Tube of a lot of their background vocals. I'm in the UK and have been a fan of these since Motown started too! I was honored by Louvain commenting on one of the tracks I'd added as she remembered it well. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them. Maybe you'd like to listen to some of them, I added most under my own name. Many thanks to all. John G Byrne
    Hi John, long time no speak, hope you are well. The Andantes were indeed superb, an essential but largely unknown piece of the classic Motown sound. So great to hear Louvain commenting on one of your tracks! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MotownMagic1959 View Post
    I have always thought of The Andantes as being superb as just listen to them in the background on so many Motown records in the 60's
    Personally I've always thought that the Andantes lacked the personality of the Supremes, Vandellas, even the Marvelettes, but I've also always been of the opinion that the Andantes had a beautiful sound. It's easy to see why they were so valued by the producers. Value as far as being employed on so many records but not necessarily compensated per value. Some of my favorite Andantes moments are on Mary Wells' "A Lovely Way to Spend An Evening", Marvin Gaye's "Aint That Peculiar", the Supremes' "Any Girl In Love", the Tempts' "Just Another Lonely Night", and the Tops' "I'll Turn to Stone".

I love The Andantes' sound too Ran. They could brighten up any song.

The same thing happened to The Sweethearts of Sigma, Barbara, Carla, and Evette, at Philly Int. They were called in to sing on many many Philly projects but never had an album of their own.

I have to think one of the biggest insults had to be the bringing in of the Three Degrees to fulfill the Sweethearts usual role of singing incidentals on one of the labels biggest hits and giving them a singing credit for doing so to boot.

That would be TSOP [[Soultrain Theme) by MFSB featuring the Three Degrees.