[REMOVE ADS]




Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 228
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    You betta preach Jerry!!! I agree with this in it's entirety. I'll always love Gladys Knight for the impact her artistry has had on me for my entire lifetime thus far, but I don't respect her and she'll never get another dime from me. She's cooning for a position, and if Fox News is giving her airtime of praise, she can consider it a job well done. I'll await to hear of her "Knight At the White House: Gladys Performs For the President" Fox News special, presented by Sean Hannity, who accompanies Gladys on an emotional rendition of "Dixie". I'm done with her.
    Shes now the darling of the far right. Shes going to be singing for President Pus*y Grabber real soon. SMH

    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/glad...ational-anthem

    https://www.newsmax.com/jameshirsen/.../22/id/899250/

    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/gutf...-gladys-knight

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    "We must tell our white brothers that the few Uncle Toms who will sill their souls for a mess of economic pottage do not speak for the Negro."
    The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    [Address at Public Meeting of the Southern Christian Ministers Conference of Mississippi
    ;
    September 23, 1959]
    Revisionist history would have you believe Dr. King never uttered the word "Uncle Tom". Here we have it!

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Shes now the darling of the far right. Shes going to be singing for President Pus*y Grabber real soon. SMH

    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/glad...ational-anthem

    https://www.newsmax.com/jameshirsen/.../22/id/899250/

    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/gutf...-gladys-knight
    And that's why I don't get defenses from the centrists about this. She's already a Mormon...

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    And that's why I don't get defenses from the centrists about this. She's already a Mormon...
    Exactly midnightman.

  5. #105
    Oh Gladys

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    You betta preach Jerry!!! I agree with this in it's entirety. I'll always love Gladys Knight for the impact her artistry has had on me for my entire lifetime thus far, but I don't respect her and she'll never get another dime from me. She's cooning for a position, and if Fox News is giving her airtime of praise, she can consider it a job well done. I'll await to hear of her "Knight At the White House: Gladys Performs For the President" Fox News special, presented by Sean Hannity, who accompanies Gladys on an emotional rendition of "Dixie". I'm done with her.
    All you people who are dissing Gladys Knight are most likely a bunch of hypocrites. The products you buy support child labor, much of the produce you eat is produced from abused workers and the executives of the organizations you work for could careless about equality as the majority of their programs are lip service. Kinda like the Kennedy’s early attitude abt civil rights until they realized there was political value in promoting civil rights. And you have the nerve to go pick the low hanging fruit abt her singing the national anthem.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    All you people who are dissing Gladys Knight are most likely a bunch of hypocrites. The products you buy support child labor, much of the produce you eat is produced from abused workers and the executives of the organizations you work for could careless about equality as the majority of their programs are lip service. Kinda like the Kennedy’s early attitude abt civil rights until they realized there was political value in promoting civil rights. And you have the nerve to go pick the low hanging fruit abt her singing the national anthem.
    This is the most out-of-left-field off post that I've ever read (and that's saying something). What the hell are you even talking about? You know squat about anybody just like we know nothing (nor care to know) about you. Some advice for discussing things in a public forum in the future:

    1. Find rocks
    2. Kick them

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    This is the most out-of-left-field off post that I've ever read (and that's saying something). What the hell are you even talking about? You know squat about anybody just like we know nothing (nor care to know) about you. Some advice for discussing things in a public forum in the future:

    1. Find rocks
    2. Kick them
    I think what he is saying boils down to simply "those without sin, cast the first stone" (at least I think that's how it goes).

    For me, I understand and support the Colin Kaepernick led protest. I have from the beginning and that will not change. I love Gladys Knight and that will not change. This is life, this is not a game like they play in places like Fox News. They don't give damn about the NFL protest, police brutality, racism or Gladys Knight! They do love to carry out their masters objectives of keeping people divided and fighting while they rank in all of the dough!
    Last edited by marv2; 01-25-2019 at 02:15 AM.

  9. #109
    Now I see why I block some fools in this forum... if y'all wanna be self-hating kneegrows, fine, but spew that BS to Breitbart, not here.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Now I see why I block some fools in this forum... if y'all wanna be self-hating kneegrows, fine, but spew that BS to Breitbart, not here.
    I been blocked his/her ass a long time ago and if it hadn't been for Jerry quoting that nonsense, I wouldn't know what the hell was going on. Some folks get real defensive about Black people drawing a line in the sand. Everybody else can do it, but oh Lordy, don't let the nigras say enough is enough. GTFOH.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I been blocked his/her ass a long time ago and if it hadn't been for Jerry quoting that nonsense, I wouldn't know what the hell was going on. Some folks get real defensive about Black people drawing a line in the sand. Everybody else can do it, but oh Lordy, don't let the nigras say enough is enough. GTFOH.
    And I always noticed it's always US. Imagine if we weren't so divided as a community and actually did come together. There's always gotta be a sell-out screaming that no one cares and we're "wasting our time". Like there weren't sell-outs during the civil rights era telling black activists at the time exactly that! I assume dmg is black anyway. It's bad enough when other races point fingers at us, it's horrible when it's your own people telling you "sit down" because their favorite Motown singer is doing it. I bet if it was Garth Brooks, they wouldn't be saying "shut up". They'd be like "what's wrong with him?" Just because I also think Gladys Knight was the greatest female vocalist Motown produced doesn't mean I'm gonna co-sign what she does because she became famous off of Motown. Hell SHE doesn't even wanna recognize/represent Motown HALF the time!

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Now I see why I block some fools in this forum... if y'all wanna be self-hating kneegrows, fine, but spew that BS to Breitbart, not here.
    Who the heck is detmotown to tell us what to say or write or think. If it was another ex Motown superstar hed be blasting her along with his BFF.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    All you people who are dissing Gladys Knight are most likely a bunch of hypocrites. The products you buy support child labor, much of the produce you eat is produced from abused workers and the executives of the organizations you work for could careless about equality as the majority of their programs are lip service. Kinda like the Kennedy’s early attitude abt civil rights until they realized there was political value in promoting civil rights. And you have the nerve to go pick the low hanging fruit abt her singing the national anthem.
    No sir/ma'am we are blasting Gladys knight for criticizing a REAL hero like Colin Kaepernick. Miss Gladys also recorded a right wing known bigots music so instead of telling us what we should be thinking or writing why dont you do a little research on Miss Mormon.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Shes now the darling of the far right. Shes going to be singing for President Pus*y Grabber real soon. SMH

    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/glad...ational-anthem

    https://www.newsmax.com/jameshirsen/.../22/id/899250/

    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/gutf...-gladys-knight
    That's another major issue with Gladys' decision to sing at the Superbowl. You just KNEW the GOP would adopt her as a poster-child.

  15. #115
    I notice some folks hating on another Motown legend for not going to the White House for the signing of the Music Modernization Act despite her feverish campaigning but people who were complaining were the ones claiming they were her biggest fans but "disappointed" she didn't show up at the signing...



    Not naming names. Just using her as an example! So for those that go OT, I'll report you. Focus on the Empress of the Mormons lol

  16. #116
    A few words on the Super Bowl performance from Gladys Husband...…

    Let it be clear Gladys isdoing the National anthem at the Super Bowl. And we are doing it not goingagainst Colin .Kaepernick, he’s protesting two subjects police violence andinjustice in the courts both we stand with. Gladys has walked through morebackdoors performed in the Jim Crow South marched with Martin Luther King andprotested apartheid. She did this so others who came after her could walkthrough the front door after her and others kicked it down. We’re doing the national anthem so that we canget rid of the lie that this is what Collin has been protesting against, alsoto let the country know that our black young men do not come from SOBs but theyare born of queens like Aretha and an empresses like my wife. We have manyblack men heroes that have died for this country and love this country evenwhen his country didn’t love them. So we sing the national anthem for a countrythat we have died and fought for. We are united against any injustice but I’masking you to not let anyone including the president. Take your mind off theprice
    Atlanta your daughter is coming home and this timethey’re opening the door for her.
    Any questions!?

  17. #117
    Sorry, but I'm not buying the "we stand with you but..." excuse. The reason I'm not believing it is because she has a microphone in her face right now and if she "stands" with BLM, she could prove it by voicing a call for change. In fact, she's in prime position to put the city of Atlanta on blast for many problems it's had with the police. But go ahead Gladys, you were saying...

    And for the record: I still love Gladys' records and will dance (and try to sing them) when they come on. But I don't have to respect her as a person who has a political expression that is diametrically opposite of my point of view. As I've stated before, I've lost a family member to police use of deadly force that was neither transparently investigated nor explained in any way that made sense. When I speak on this issue it's because I don't want to lose someone else. It's not "politics" to me.

    I'm pretty sure Gladys' point of view would be closer to mine if one of her sons or brothers was shot to death because a cop "couldn't see his hands". As a matter of fact, everybody on that side of the issue would. So I'll listen to her sing but I don't want to hear her speak again. She's said plenty.

  18. #118
    I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what this conversation is all about. Gladys is singing at the Super Bowl. Be happy for her. She will tear it up. What else do you guys want to complain about?

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what this conversation is all about. Gladys is singing at the Super Bowl. Be happy for her. She will tear it up. What else do you guys want to complain about?
    At Last !.. A voice of common sense !...…. Thank You Ralpht !... I can't wait to see the EMPRESS !..... as you say, she'll tear it up !

  20. #120
    Perhaps folks can just sit back and reflect for a moment as has this (non sellout) great American spokesperson on just what we ALL have to be grateful for and express it for 90 seconds, before a football game roar...https://youtu.be/iIkNsj6cDGc
    Last edited by StuBass1; 01-25-2019 at 06:40 PM.

  21. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what this conversation is all about. Gladys is singing at the Super Bowl. Be happy for her. She will tear it up. What else do you guys want to complain about?
    I'll try to break it down for you, Ralph. The Civil Rights movement lay dormant for decades. People were foolish enough to believe that we were somehow moving toward a post-racial society where everybody actually did have a chance to succeed. Some of us didn't need a reminder that this foolish worldview was fallacious. We saw, spoke about and remembered incidents in our community where police abused suspects (and sometimes, non-suspects) and there was never an accounting for it. Some were promoted to leadership later. That might not be your experience, but it's mine.

    Flash forward to the 2000s. The advent of social media gave us a lot of things. Like Soulful Detroit. And Facebook. And Twitter. But the main thing it gave us (along with people carrying cell phones that could video and snap photos of important events) was a news cycle that updated in real time. That's why I live 400 miles away from NYC but saw Eric Garner's life being choked out for selling loose cigarettes. And I'm 600 miles from Minneapolis but I saw the blood on Philando Castille's chest after he was killed for literally no reason. And Alton Sterling. And Sandra Bland. And dozens more.

    This is not and will never be a concern for many, perhaps not even for you. But it has always been a concern for many, especially me. And when Kaepernick took a knee, he was representing people who had finally said "enough" and were glad to see someone take a stance. But the reaction was not to discuss police brutality, it was to call his patriotism and mine into question. What am I to garner from this reaction? Well, not only is America 100% fine with police abuse and corruption, America also was willing to make an example for any black man foolish enough to bring attention to it. That's why the NFL got "that son of a bitch off the field" to quote Donald Trump.

    Do you think that makes it even more personal?

    I doubt that you've had this discussion with your family and loved ones as you've gathered around the table for holiday dinners but I have. We talk about it frequently because I have nephews and nieces that I worry about. That's why a lot of black people have that other discussion with their kids that white parents would never need to have. The one where we tell them that if the cops stop you for no good reason and call you derogatory names and shout at you or tackle you from behind even before addressing you, you have to treat them with respect that they won't show you. You don't know how hard that is to either talk to your kids about it or to bite your tongue and put it in practice when it happens to you. Been there. Done that.

    Gladys Knight knows about this issue. She's acknowledged it. If she was singing at the World Series or NBA Championship or Stanley Cup Finals, nobody would give two shits about it. But she's singing at the Super Bowl. As I said, she didn't make that decision in a vacuum, she did it with full knowledge of the issues surrounding that league and that political statement.

    God bless her. And you. I hope you enjoy seeing her next time she comes to town but I won't. And I surely won't be happy for her and won't be rooting for her to tear it up.

  22. #122
    Jerry, I appreciate your point of view, although I fail to see how it can be OK to perform ( as you say) at the World series, Stanley Cup etc... but not OK at the Super Bowl.... are people looking to deep into this performance ?... If the US is too unbearable for you, how about moving to the UK ?... we're far more civilised here anyway !

  23. #123
    Someone asked on another forum I saw today. What about the NFL players? Should the Black players boycott the Super Bowl or just Gladys Knight?

  24. #124
    I remember when Diana Ross sang the National Anthem for the Super Bowl in her hometown:


  25. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    Jerry, I appreciate your point of view, although I fail to see how it can be OK to perform ( as you say) at the World series, Stanley Cup etc... but not OK at the Super Bowl.... are people looking to deep into this performance ?... If the US is too unbearable for you, how about moving to the UK ?... we're far more civilised here anyway !
    I wouldn't do it at any public event. But the NFL sought this schism with its handling of the situation. The NBA is more progressive than the other venues so it's hard to see someone griping about it. And the people affected by the issue (peoples of color, mostly) are a small minority of the fans or participants in MLB or NHL. People wouldn't be happy, but neither of the other leagues is the political hot potato that the NFL is right now. And if it was a practical time to leave, I would do it in a heartbeat. With that said, leaving the fight is not a way to win it.

    The saddest part of this mess is that most black Americans don't hate this country. We hate that we're treated like black Americans in it. It's the privileged few (like Gladys and her husband) who can pretend to relate to the problems and people they left behind.

  26. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Someone asked on another forum I saw today. What about the NFL players? Should the Black players boycott the Super Bowl or just Gladys Knight?
    And that question has nothing to do with the issue at all. The answer it is that they shouldn't have to. The question is whether people should be forced to comply in someone else's idea of what is patriotic? I need nobody to tell me how I need to show respect for anything that refuses to respect me.

    With that said, the players have a hell of an opportunity to say something right now. If they organized and made a joint statement, it would shake the world up. But I'm not asking anyone to give up millions, not even Gladys who is doing it for exposure that IMO she does not need.

  27. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    And I always noticed it's always US. Imagine if we weren't so divided as a community and actually did come together. There's always gotta be a sell-out screaming that no one cares and we're "wasting our time". Like there weren't sell-outs during the civil rights era telling black activists at the time exactly that! I assume dmg is black anyway. It's bad enough when other races point fingers at us, it's horrible when it's your own people telling you "sit down" because their favorite Motown singer is doing it. I bet if it was Garth Brooks, they wouldn't be saying "shut up". They'd be like "what's wrong with him?" Just because I also think Gladys Knight was the greatest female vocalist Motown produced doesn't mean I'm gonna co-sign what she does because she became famous off of Motown. Hell SHE doesn't even wanna recognize/represent Motown HALF the time!
    Yeah, we've always had people in our community who would rather kowtow to the establishment as opposed to fighting it. And their gripe is always with Black people who have something to say rather than having a gripe with the people causing the issue that Black people are talking about. It's been an issue for a long time.

  28. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Who the heck is detmotown to tell us what to say or write or think. If it was another ex Motown superstar hed be blasting her along with his BFF.
    I'm grown, so whoever he/she is can't dictate a damn thing to me, and thus can do what Jerry suggested and kick rocks. But you make an interesting point. I wonder how different the responses might be by some if it were a certain other Motown diva. Full disclosure, I even had to ask myself if I would feel any different if it were my favorite Motown diva, and I actually took a bit of time to ponder the answer. Ultimately I concluded that as hurt I would be, even she would have to end up in my "not another dime from me" category. I would lose all respect for her, as I have Gladys. It is what it is.

  29. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    A few words on the Super Bowl performance from Gladys Husband...…

    Let it be clear Gladys isdoing the National anthem at the Super Bowl. And we are doing it not goingagainst Colin .Kaepernick, he’s protesting two subjects police violence andinjustice in the courts both we stand with. Gladys has walked through morebackdoors performed in the Jim Crow South marched with Martin Luther King andprotested apartheid. She did this so others who came after her could walkthrough the front door after her and others kicked it down. We’re doing the national anthem so that we canget rid of the lie that this is what Collin has been protesting against, alsoto let the country know that our black young men do not come from SOBs but theyare born of queens like Aretha and an empresses like my wife. We have manyblack men heroes that have died for this country and love this country evenwhen his country didn’t love them. So we sing the national anthem for a countrythat we have died and fought for. We are united against any injustice but I’masking you to not let anyone including the president. Take your mind off theprice
    Atlanta your daughter is coming home and this timethey’re opening the door for her.
    Any questions!?
    Nope. Can't clean it up. Gladys has made her bed. Maybe she'll weather the storm with the public. I honestly don't care. She won't weather it with me. Case closed.

  30. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    And I always noticed it's always US. Imagine if we weren't so divided as a community and actually did come together. There's always gotta be a sell-out screaming that no one cares and we're "wasting our time". Like there weren't sell-outs during the civil rights era telling black activists at the time exactly that! I assume dmg is black anyway. It's bad enough when other races point fingers at us, it's horrible when it's your own people telling you "sit down" because their favorite Motown singer is doing it. I bet if it was Garth Brooks, they wouldn't be saying "shut up". They'd be like "what's wrong with him?" Just because I also think Gladys Knight was the greatest female vocalist Motown produced doesn't mean I'm gonna co-sign what she does because she became famous off of Motown. Hell SHE doesn't even wanna recognize/represent Motown HALF the time!
    Black America's combined economy would be that of a top 20 country if separated from the rest of the US. If we just determined to use our money (and our votes) in a unified effort to effect change, we'd have full equality in every aspect of society in 10 years. That would mean not purchasing cars from companies that don't have fair diversity practices or paying to watch movies from studios that don't employ us in executive and creative positions. It would mean everybody voting for the same candidate and eating at the same restaurant and watching the same network, which might sound ridiculous to many. But if we showed that were ubiquitous in something like those, then politicians and businesses would break their necks trying to get a bloc of 16% of the country to favor them.

    But as you've said, there's always going to be those "ain't nobody gonna tell me sh*t" people out there who would hold everybody back by doing what they want instead of what we'd need. People don't realize the magnitude of the loss we suffered when they took Dr. King. There's nobody close to being a leader and you can tell.

  31. #131
    Absolutely fascinating for me to read some of the responses on here !. you guys could start a argument in a empty room !....

  32. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what this conversation is all about. Gladys is singing at the Super Bowl. Be happy for her. She will tear it up. What else do you guys want to complain about?
    With all due respect, you're a white man in America. I don't expect you to get it. Not that your whiteness prevents you from understanding. There are millions of white Americans who get it. I just don't expect you to get it as the issues of Africa America do not effect you in a way where I feel like you should get it and then stand in solidarity. The fact that those of us who oppose Gladys' actions and words have been chalked up to complainers who apparently just want to complain for no good reason suggests to me that you do not have a full grasp of this entire conversation (not the thread, but the issues behind the thread) and again, I don't expect you to. Hopefully our thoughts will cause you to look into the issues a little deeper. I'd rather you understand the whole story and come to your concluded opinion rather than come to your concluded opinion without any knowledge of the issues at the root.

  33. #133
    https://abc6onyourside.com/news/ente...-at-super-bowl

    Here's a great article about it. It might put things in perspective for some of you who wonder what the big deal is but I don't think it will change any minds about Gladys. It did have a tweet from Bernice King that sums up my point of view 100%.
    Bernice King, the daughter of slain civil rights leader Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., declined an interview request but has spoken out on Twitter.

    "Imagine #TrayvonMartin having a chance to tell his side of the story," she wrote this week.

    "Imagine media searching for a better view on #MikeBrown's behalf. Imagine the Peace Warrior Organization, a group of youth in #Chicago working to stop violence, being invited to the White House this week."

  34. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I wouldn't do it at any public event. But the NFL sought this schism with its handling of the situation. The NBA is more progressive than the other venues so it's hard to see someone griping about it. And the people affected by the issue (peoples of color, mostly) are a small minority of the fans or participants in MLB or NHL. People wouldn't be happy, but neither of the other leagues is the political hot potato that the NFL is right now. And if it was a practical time to leave, I would do it in a heartbeat. With that said, leaving the fight is not a way to win it.

    The saddest part of this mess is that most black Americans don't hate this country. We hate that we're treated like black Americans in it. It's the privileged few (like Gladys and her husband) who can pretend to relate to the problems and people they left behind.
    I don't think Gladys Knight or her husband have left people behind. From 2017:

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ty-center.html

  35. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Black America's combined economy would be that of a top 20 country if separated from the rest of the US. If we just determined to use our money (and our votes) in a unified effort to effect change, we'd have full equality in every aspect of society in 10 years. That would mean not purchasing cars from companies that don't have fair diversity practices or paying to watch movies from studios that don't employ us in executive and creative positions. It would mean everybody voting for the same candidate and eating at the same restaurant and watching the same network, which might sound ridiculous to many. But if we showed that were ubiquitous in something like those, then politicians and businesses would break their necks trying to get a bloc of 16% of the country to favor them.

    But as you've said, there's always going to be those "ain't nobody gonna tell me sh*t" people out there who would hold everybody back by doing what they want instead of what we'd need. People don't realize the magnitude of the loss we suffered when they took Dr. King. There's nobody close to being a leader and you can tell.
    Preachin' again Rev Jerry, I see!!

  36. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    Absolutely fascinating for me to read some of the responses on here !. you guys could start a argument in a empty room !....
    That's an interesting comment, as I seem to recall that the thread had people like myself voicing our opposition and disappointment to the actions of one Gladys Knight, while people like yourself seem to have taken our issue with Gladys Knightvery personal. I'd venture that the more likely suspects of starting arguments in empty rooms would be those commenters such as yourself who have taken to responding to the criticism of others as though that criticism was directed at you. Miss me with that. In fact, I know just how to deal with it...

  37. #137
    This is for anyone: why do you think Gladys has made this, IMO, bad decision?

  38. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That's an interesting comment, as I seem to recall that the thread had people like myself voicing our opposition and disappointment to the actions of one Gladys Knight, while people like yourself seem to have taken our issue with Gladys Knightvery personal. I'd venture that the more likely suspects of starting arguments in empty rooms would be those commenters such as yourself who have taken to responding to the criticism of others as though that criticism was directed at you. Miss me with that. In fact, I know just how to deal with it...
    Bingo! Most of us have posted about our opinion but there's always going to be some who would rather post about other posters in a derogatory manner. It's like that old saying goes: Great minds talk about ideas. Average minds talk about events. But small minds talk about people.

  39. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    This is for anyone: why do you think Gladys has made this, IMO, bad decision?
    Not for her. She has a right to do whatever she wants to do. If that's what makes her happy, God bless her over there. But for me, it was an unfortunate decision and I'm sorry to read that one of my icons has a world view that is (in my opinion) counter-productive toward resolving a 164 year old problem.

  40. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    A few words on the Super Bowl performance from Gladys Husband...…

    Let it be clear Gladys isdoing the National anthem at the Super Bowl. And we are doing it not goingagainst Colin .Kaepernick, he’s protesting two subjects police violence andinjustice in the courts both we stand with. Gladys has walked through morebackdoors performed in the Jim Crow South marched with Martin Luther King andprotested apartheid. She did this so others who came after her could walkthrough the front door after her and others kicked it down. We’re doing the national anthem so that we canget rid of the lie that this is what Collin has been protesting against, alsoto let the country know that our black young men do not come from SOBs but theyare born of queens like Aretha and an empresses like my wife. We have manyblack men heroes that have died for this country and love this country evenwhen his country didn’t love them. So we sing the national anthem for a countrythat we have died and fought for. We are united against any injustice but I’masking you to not let anyone including the president. Take your mind off theprice
    Atlanta your daughter is coming home and this timethey’re opening the door for her.
    Any questions!?
    Child... if she didn't wanna go after Colin, why mention his name? Why make it about him? Instead of saying "I'm doing it because I love the NFL" and move on. For her to acknowledge what Colin, Marshawn Lynch (another one who does his own protest and actually SITS DOWN during the anthem lol) and others are trying to accomplish and to rub it in, so to speak, doesn't sit well with me. Or rather than not say anything, just sit there and eat her food and enjoy the free promotion. For her making it more political than it already is and choosing to be a centrist about it instead of saying "I'm there for you, Mr. Kaepernick" just shows where she is. She USED to be an uplifting black woman and to see her do this is freaking sad. That's just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

  41. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    Absolutely fascinating for me to read some of the responses on here !. you guys could start a argument in a empty room !....
    You take our complaints as "arguments". No, the point is it's not an argument unless you feel so upset that it is personally killing you that we're not showering Gladys Maria Knight with praise all the time. Every legend on here has the right to get criticized for the things they do and, yes, that, includes the "Supreme Diva". I love Marvin Gaye to death but if he had done the same thing in 1968 if he was still living, I'd be criticizing his actions too when he knows good well what has been going on (and FTR, I doubt he would be happy with Gladys either, he'd be supporting Colin - openly, I might add. I know Janis has!).

    But that's what separates Marvin and Stevie from everyone else as far the Motown legends in general, I suppose. They're the two Motown icons who were outspoken about social ills in their music and conversations. Stevie is a open supporter of Colin and his actions. I dare any of you who hate the fact we're criticizing Gladys to say that he's going too far or that he went too far last year (or the year before last) when he and his son kneeled down in protest of the NFL's policies before a show.

    Y'all took it to argue. We weren't arguing, we were simply airing our disappointments in her. But if you wanna claim that some of us are arguing, so be it. I can't speak for everyone else but I meant no harm... and I won't take back what I said. But I wish no ill will towards you. Maybe not clicking on this thread would help? Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-26-2019 at 12:27 AM.

  42. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Black America's combined economy would be that of a top 20 country if separated from the rest of the US. If we just determined to use our money (and our votes) in a unified effort to effect change, we'd have full equality in every aspect of society in 10 years. That would mean not purchasing cars from companies that don't have fair diversity practices or paying to watch movies from studios that don't employ us in executive and creative positions. It would mean everybody voting for the same candidate and eating at the same restaurant and watching the same network, which might sound ridiculous to many. But if we showed that were ubiquitous in something like those, then politicians and businesses would break their necks trying to get a bloc of 16% of the country to favor them.

    But as you've said, there's always going to be those "ain't nobody gonna tell me sh*t" people out there who would hold everybody back by doing what they want instead of what we'd need. People don't realize the magnitude of the loss we suffered when they took Dr. King. There's nobody close to being a leader and you can tell.
    Yep. Ever since 1968, we've been a community without much of a voice and some leave with the false belief that all the advancements King and Malcolm X fought for were all accomplished. Judging from what led to the start of Black Lives Matter, that has proven not to be the case. And yet people are steaming mad about it because "a Motown singer is singing the national anthem, shut up". It's like REALLY?

  43. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    This is for anyone: why do you think Gladys has made this, IMO, bad decision?
    Free exposure. She's in the autumn of her years. I don't know, but right after Aretha's death, she has seem to wanna pop up in the public recently. I mean if she wanna keep her name in the public eye (as opposed to simply performing at venues here and there), why not do it like Patti LaBelle, who has basically spent the last 20 years or so becoming one of the smartest businesswomen and entrepreneurs of her time selling her favorite brands of cakes and pies as well as acting in well promoted TV shows and Broadway plays? How does Gladys get into the headlines? Doing the "any publicity is good publicity" thing. The Aretha funeral is still etched in my mind how badly she handled it to the point when I saw her singing at the funeral, it wasn't her voice I was focused on. And now this.

    Least whoever works for Little Richard had the smarts to whisk Richard away when he said hurtful things about the LGBT community in his weak attempt to "save souls to Christ" so people would still remember him as "the Georgia Peach" and not some bitter 86-year-old man.

  44. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm grown, so whoever he/she is can't dictate a damn thing to me, and thus can do what Jerry suggested and kick rocks. But you make an interesting point. I wonder how different the responses might be by some if it were a certain other Motown diva. Full disclosure, I even had to ask myself if I would feel any different if it were my favorite Motown diva, and I actually took a bit of time to ponder the answer. Ultimately I concluded that as hurt I would be, even she would have to end up in my "not another dime from me" category. I would lose all respect for her, as I have Gladys. It is what it is.
    I'll just keep it real: if Patti had done it, I wouldn't play her songs again. Same with...that other Motown diva. It would be case closed and I wouldn't venture into that sub-section of the forum because it would hurt me that bad. Because those other two have a deeper effect on me than Gladys ever did. With Gladys, I just roll my eyes and shake my head. Except for Friendship Train, I haven't seen her be outspoken about social ills in her music, yet folks wanna compare her to Aretha, who had far more credentials as an actual civil rights activist than any diva in her time (with the obvious exception of Mavis Staples, another civil rights activist who won't be caught dead doing this).

  45. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    This is for anyone: why do you think Gladys has made this, IMO, bad decision?
    Money and ego

  46. #146
    Has everyone had their say here?

  47. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    This is for anyone: why do you think Gladys has made this, IMO, bad decision?
    Publicity. I think potential dollar signs have become more important to Gladys than taking a stand. Maybe it will work out for her.

  48. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Child... if she didn't wanna go after Colin, why mention his name? Why make it about him? Instead of saying "I'm doing it because I love the NFL" and move on. For her to acknowledge what Colin, Marshawn Lynch (another one who does his own protest and actually SITS DOWN during the anthem lol) and others are trying to accomplish and to rub it in, so to speak, doesn't sit well with me. Or rather than not say anything, just sit there and eat her food and enjoy the free promotion. For her making it more political than it already is and choosing to be a centrist about it instead of saying "I'm there for you, Mr. Kaepernick" just shows where she is. She USED to be an uplifting black woman and to see her do this is freaking sad. That's just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
    And that's it. I would've "side eyed" Gladys for doing the song at all, but I could've gotten past it. But when she brought Kaep into it, and the way she did it, that's what had me messed up. And it's also exactly why she's now the darling of the Faux News crowd. She sold us out and for that she will not sell me another musical product.

  49. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Has everyone had their say here?
    Meaning what exactly Ralph? Will this thread be shut down? And if so, would you allow us a reason for it (aside from this is your forum and you are certainly entitled to shut down any topic you want just because you can)? This definitely isn't a thread that has gone off the rails like some others in the past, so I'm trying to understand the question.

  50. #150
    Gladys got shit all over, here and many places except Fox

    Goes with the territory these days; everyone gets crapped on; but she did make choices here

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.