[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Milven, is this what you were talking about earlier?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-vs-the-clock/
    Yes. People are actually laying odds on how long it will take for Gladys to sing the Anthem.

Another interesting wager is on the length of Gladys Knight’s rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Several offshore books have set the total for the anthem at 1 minute 47 seconds, and the implied odds for both the under and the over were set at one book at -115 — a 53.5 percent implied probability — on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Most of her Motown buddies have sung the Star Spangled Banner at televised sporting events. Some have sung it at the Super Bowl. What are they going to say "Uh Gladys, well you know I've sung it, even more than once......but you shouldn't"?

The difference is unlike Miss Gladys - NONE of her Motown buddies have criticized a real hero and patriot like Colin Kaepernick.

Plus Rhonda and Tracee are vigorous and outspoken leaders for strong black womenswear and would never said yes; Gladys could have stood up and said no but she chose not to

Just gonna leave this here.

And he did it WHILE singing the anthem. THAT'S how you protest lol

Can you imagine what the reaction would've been fifty years ago from Gladys and her Motown buddies if they had been told that in the year 2019!! there'd be Americans who would openly oppose Gladys singing our national anthem because of the color of her skin.

Yes yes yes.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Yes. People are actually laying odds on how long it will take for Gladys to sing the Anthem.

Another interesting wager is on the length of Gladys Knight’s rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Several offshore books have set the total for the anthem at 1 minute 47 seconds, and the implied odds for both the under and the over were set at one book at -115 — a 53.5 percent implied probability — on both sides.
    That is really interesting...

That is really interesting...
    There are all kinds of bets going on about Gladys and the anthem.

Will she kneel, will she wear a dress or pants, will she have a mike stand, will she omit a word from the anthem, etc?

I'm just hoping that she does not get heckled or booed during the anthem

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/...-gladys-knight

Will she kneel, will she wear a dress or pants, will she have a mike stand, will she omit a word from the anthem, etc?

I think she'll play it safe.

She's not going to do anything other than sing the song straight and without drama. If she gave a crap, she wouldn't be singing. And nobody will boo her or heckle her. The disrespect in this issue has consistently come from people on the anti-kneeling side of the divide. Folks didn't pay $1,500 for a ticket because they are anti-NFL.

And nobody booed anyone who sang the anthem this season or last. That's not even the point. People who are inclined to boo aren't going to be in attendance.

I'm not sure why "protest" in this sense is analogous with "disrespect". Kaep stopped sitting because a vet convinced him that kneeling is respectful, whereas sitting is not and he didn't want the message to be one of disrespect. People try to conflate the two because they prefer to avoid having a serious conversation on social justice.

Because people are straight up weird. Some were bothered by Marvin's 1983 interpretation of it:

Welp, she nailed it! Didn’t have on any Trump Apparel or anything! Just sang!

On a side note, they’re doing their darndest to win back the folks that cancelled the NFL! Dr. King’s youngest daughter did the coin toss.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    On a side note, they’re doing their darndest to win back the folks that cancelled the NFL! Dr. King’s youngest daughter did the coin toss.
    I read that they have had commercials aimed at social issues...

Gladys singing was the only time I had the speakers on during the Super Bowl.

edafan

Because people are straight up weird. Some were bothered by Marvin's 1983 interpretation of it:

I am now retired from 49 years teaching high school. But I used to play Marvin Gaye's version for my classes.

edafan

She sounded and looked great!

I certainly agree!

This was a very thought provoking thread.Although I come down on the side of "let her sing,, she's an artist" I found the entire conversation interesting, both sides being respectful of each other, Well done guys.

Lowest Super Bowl ratings in 10 years.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/super-b...202548893/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    This was a very thought provoking thread.Although I come down on the side of "let her sing,, she's an artist" I found the entire conversation interesting, both sides being respectful of each other, Well done guys.
    Thanks, Ralph.

There's a consorted effort to generate interest with various story lines each year around the Superbowl. It's a shame one of those angles has become who would/shouldn't sing the national anthem . I'm glad it fizzled into nothing. I think there was a realization that you weren't going to win going after a legend like GLADYS KNIGHT. She was the perfect choice. She presented herself grandly and she represented well all that is good about being an American.

Although I'm not "going after Gladys Knight", I'm no longer interested in her as a celebrity or American. As stated before, I'll still enjoy the music that I've enjoyed for decades but I won't click on any headlines about her or wish her good luck in her endeavors. And if she comes out with a new record, no way that I'm buying it.

And yeah, I agree that this has been a respectful thread, which is what can happen when we focus on the subject and not make personal attacks against those who disagree with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Although I'm not "going after Gladys Knight", I'm no longer interested in her as a celebrity or American. As stated before, I'll still enjoy the music that I've enjoyed for decades but I won't click on any headlines about her or wish her good luck in her endeavors. And if she comes out with a new record, no way that I'm buying it.

And yeah, I agree that this has been a respectful thread, which is what can happen when we focus on the subject and not make personal attacks against those who disagree with us.
    I couldnt agree with you more Jerry Oz.

I noticed Maroon 5 took the biggest beating but their sales are way up into the Top 10

Gladys attracted less notoriety and she got a bump in sales as well, although lesser than Maroon 5

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I noticed Maroon 5 took the biggest beating but their sales are way up into the Top 10

Gladys attracted less notoriety and she got a bump in sales as well, although lesser than Maroon 5
    Any publicity is good publicity, I guess.