[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Gladys Knight to sing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl

I am sadden that she is singing the Nation Anthem at the Super Bowl, especially considering the way the NFL has treated Colin Kaepernick and other players taking the knee for justice in America. I would be okay if she sung some other song, such as America, the Beautiful or God, Bless America. I won't be going to another Gladys concert.

Gladys gave some shade to Colin Kaepernick in her latest statement where she was possibly criticized for agreeing to the gig:

Gladys Knight says she not only disagrees with Colin Kaepernick using the national anthem as a protest, but she also says she's been in the game a lot longer than him when it comes to the fight for social justice.

Gladys doubled down on her decision to sing the anthem at the upcoming Super Bowl, saying, "I have been in the forefront of this battle longer than most of those voicing their opinions to win the right to sing our country's Anthem on a stage as large as the Super Bowl LIII."

She goes on ... "It is unfortunate that our National Anthem has been dragged into this debate when the distinctive senses of the National Anthem and fighting for justice should each stand alone."

That said, Gladys does not doubt Colin's intentions ... "I understand that Mr. Kaepernick is protesting two things, and they are police violence and injustice," the 74-year-old legend said in a statement.

Of course, Knight is referencing Colin's decision to take a knee during the 'Star-Spangled Banner' during NFL games. Kap had said the demonstration is intended to put a spotlight on police violence against minorities.

Knight might agree with his message but clearly disagrees with his methods.

"I am here today and on Sunday, Feb. 3 to give the Anthem back its voice, to stand for that historic choice of words, the way it unites us when we hear it and to free it from the same prejudices and struggles I have fought long and hard for all my life."

"No matter who chooses to deflect with this narrative and continue to mix these two in the same message, it is not so and cannot be made so by anyone speaking it. I pray that this National Anthem will bring us all together in a way never before witnessed and we can move forward and untangle these truths which mean so much to all of us."

Kaepernick -- along with his girlfriend, close friends and celebrities -- have been agreed to perform at the Super Bowl. Rap star Common has even called for Travis Scott to pull out of the halftime show.

As for Colin's thoughts on Gladys -- so far, he has not issued a comment.

----
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-18-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Gladys ain't been right since she became a Mormon [[which I think was due to her son or daughter being Mormons, I forget which).

I can't count how many famous singers have sung the National Anthem before sporting events in this country. I do know that I wish that they were not arguing over this particular moment in the public media. I would have much more preferred that Ms. Knight and Mr. Kaepernick had met privately to discuss the matter. Gladys has fought for social and civil rights for decades. Her religious beliefs have nothing to do with anything in my opinion. I applaud her for acknowledging accurately that the protest is about police violence and injustice whereas the President and a certain segment of the population refuse to acknowledge that and try to deflect everything off as disrespecting the Veterans!

I see that there's quite a bit of disagreement with Knight's decision to sing at the Super Bowl due to their anti-African American stances. I've not yet read a comment from her about it. It's not my right to make an assessment but I'm finding it interesting to read the opinions of those who do have the right to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    I am sadden that she is singing the Nation Anthem at the Super Bowl, especially considering the way the NFL has treated Colin Kaepernick and other players taking the knee for justice in America. I would be okay if she sung some other song, such as America, the Beautiful or God, Bless America. I won't be going to another Gladys concert.
    Understood. And supported.

It’s a big chance for her

But I wish she had said no

And I don’t think her explanation is helpful

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can't count how many famous singers have sung the National Anthem before sporting events in this country. I do know that I wish that they were not arguing over this particular moment in the public media. I would have much more preferred that Ms. Knight and Mr. Kaepernick had met privately to discuss the matter. Gladys has fought for social and civil rights for decades. Her religious beliefs have nothing to do with anything in my opinion. I applaud her for acknowledging accurately that the protest is about police violence and injustice whereas the President and a certain segment of the population refuse to acknowledge that and try to deflect everything off as disrespecting the Veterans!
    I'm done with her because of this. Done. Every confederate flag-toting Dixie-loving Deplorable who applauds when cops are acquitted for killing unarmed black people is pointing at her and saying "See. Gladys Knight is with us." I don't care what she said her reasons are, she's mucking up the next phase of the movement she wants to share credit for leading. Keep in mind that in spite of all of her pain [[which is appreciated), we are still nowhere near the finish line. To disparage Kaep and perform at the Super Bowl tells me more than I needed to know about one of my formerly favorite singers.

Her saying "I marched with King" does not help. Sorry Gladys, you're on your own...

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

I don't mind her taking the gig but she should've not said anything. Now she's just adding extra ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

This is not a "big chance" for Gladys Knight. She's been one of the biggest, most famous singers in the World for decades. She's sentimental about it being in Atlanta, her hometown.

She shouldn't be doing this, but I have an idea that if you tell her that, she's going to do it!

I can't wait to see the GREATEST female vocalist /performer on the planet singing the National Anthem !.... LOVE YOU GLADYS !!!

Does Martha have to stop singing it every morning [[as she claimed in a book she did to exercise her voice)?

Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    I can't wait to see the GREATEST female vocalist /performer on the planet singing the National Anthem !.... LOVE YOU GLADYS !!!
    Love Gladys standing far above all the petty B***S***… Stay strong Gladys...I'm sure your rendition will be right up there with Marvin, Whitney, and now the most soulful woman to ever come out of Motown...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I'm done with her because of this. Done. Every confederate flag-toting Dixie-loving Deplorable who applauds when cops are acquitted for killing unarmed black people is pointing at her and saying "See. Gladys Knight is with us." I don't care what she said her reasons are, she's mucking up the next phase of the movement she wants to share credit for leading. Keep in mind that in spite of all of her pain [[which is appreciated), we are still nowhere near the finish line. To disparage Kaep and perform at the Super Bowl tells me more than I needed to know about one of my formerly favorite singers.
    Well stated and I wish you the best.

If you can't see what Gladys has done, achieved for the good over the last 60years, then I truly am sad for you !.....It's the EMPRESS of SOUL singing the National Anthem ! where's the problem ????

???

I don't see anything in Jerry's statement that took away from what she did?

Just that in his mind, it's not a good decision on her part.

But apparently a critical post is dismissing her legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ???

I don't see anything in Jerry's statement that took away from what she did?

Just that in his mind, it's not a good decision on her part.

But apparently a critical post is dismissing her legacy.

If your post is aimed at me, then I have no need to relax !....[[ If not, then I apologise) seriously looking forward to seeing Gladys do what she does best next June in the UK, " Singing"... which is what she will be doing at the Super Bowl !.. It what she does !....

Gladys ‘ statement simply tries to justify her singing and gives no insight as to what started all of this and the respect that Mr Kaepernick and others deserve for their courage. I’m disappointed in her.

Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    If your post is aimed at me, then I have no need to relax !....[[ If not, then I apologise) seriously looking forward to seeing Gladys do what she does best next June in the UK, " Singing"... which is what she will be doing at the Super Bowl !.. It what she does !....
    Nah it's not to anyone. Just in general. Because if this was just about her singing the song, she shouldn't have made a statement. I mean I know I wouldn't. Why bring more attention to it? As Luke said, she wanted to justify why she was singing it and playing egalitarian about it considering the issues we have to why Colin Kaepernick did his protest in the first place.

I don't care if you're a music legend, that doesn't excuse that sometimes, legends can make bad decisions and this was a bad decision by Gladys. Simple as that.

Commenters on both Twitter and Instagram have been criticizing Gladys' decision to do the national anthem. Apparently the responses on IG had Gladys block everyone from commenting! Apparently #MAGATwitter is LOVING THIS... if Gladys thought she was uniting folks, she was sadly mistaken... CHILD...

Gladys will just have to learn to live with the fact that her Super Bowl Anthem performance isn't playing well on Soulful Detroit and by some folks on Twitter...She'll just have to learn to live with it...somehow …LOL

I love to hear the passion in Gladys voice. Being an old traditionalist as I am, I just hope she doesn't go all over the place with too many vocal acrobatics. I have so many opinions about the "performance" of the national anthem these days at events, but they are too many to name here. All of y'all complaining about "dem dare players not standing" during the anthem, be sure y'all get your butts off the recliner at home to do more than run to the refrigerator for more dip and chips as the anthem is being sung. Be sure you're standing in allegiance also instead of counting how many players are kneeling. I'm just sayin'. Note: My personal belief: it's everyone's right to stand or kneel.

^ Folks who complain about folks not standing up for the anthem don't care for this country either... some folks just don't feel this anthem is theirs... wasn't too long ago when an American anthem was played at the Olympics and the runners who protested used the Black Power symbol... please remember that as some of y'all defend Gladys' decision to sing it. She has that much right to sing it but we have much right not to stand for it or if we do stand for it, do our own salute for our people and not the flag or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I love to hear the passion in Gladys voice. Being an old traditionalist as I am, I just hope she doesn't go all over the place with too many vocal acrobatics. I have so many opinions about the "performance" of the national anthem these days at events, but they are too many to name here. All of y'all complaining about "dem dare players not standing" during the anthem, be sure y'all get your butts off the recliner at home to do more than run to the refrigerator for more dip and chips as the anthem is being sung. Be sure you're standing in allegiance also instead of counting how many players are kneeling. I'm just sayin'. Note: My personal belief: it's everyone's right to stand or kneel.
    Gladys is NOT Mariah Carey...Thankfully
    Last edited by StuBass1; 01-19-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Didn't realize there were two threads.

I love Gladys Knight and the music she has given us for nearly 60 years, but like many entertainers [[not all) she is totally clueless on this political issue. It's not completely her fault that her hard work and devotion has allowed her to live in a different world from the people who love her. While she deserves the fruits of success she has earned, please don't come off apologizing for those of us who are rightfully angry about the injustice that exists in this country. Her privilege has shielded her from what many of us experience continuously.

Colin Kaepernick's protest was never about the flag or the national anthem until those symbols were dragged in with the intent to inflame, by those offended by him exercising his right to protest.

We still and always will love you, Miss Gladys, but learn to see things from perspectives other than the one right before your eyes. I say this as one who also has earned privileges most don't have. I know from whence I came and that everyone's life isn't as easy as mine became.

WADR...In other words..."Gladys...see the world through my narrow lens or you are a traitor to [[fill in the blank)"...Gladys was significantly and positively impacting peoples rights and helping those in need while some of those criticizing her [[including Mr Kaepernick) were wearing Buster Browns, Oshkosh B'Gosh or just a glint in their daddys eye and is boldly rejecting the efforts at extortion. The fact that Gladys loves her country and agreed to honor it by performing the National Anthem at this years Super Bowl is refreshing in todays politically divisive environment. She owes nothing to nobody except herself and her lifelong body of excellence and efforts to make the world a better place. Gladys has spent her life making contribution after contribution and those unfamiliar with her struggles and accomplishments should take a few minutes to learn a bit about her...Gladys is gonna tear it up...Don't like it...don't have to watch it...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 01-19-2019 at 04:25 PM.

It is what it is! As long as she doesn’t sport a MAGA baseball cap or something like that, I’m fine with it. Although she could have kept the comments about Kaepernick to herself.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    It is what it is! As long as she doesn’t sport a MAGA baseball cap or something like that, I’m fine with it. Although she could have kept the comments about Kaepernick to herself.
    I think that's why a lot of folks are now commenting. Before, it was just a few who were upset she was even doing it. The minute she said something, it only added fuel to the fire. Like I said, I don't mind her doing it, but don't explain, just say "no comment". It's not hard to do, really. I understand she wanted to clarify but "bringing back its voice" can mean many things to those who researched the history of the anthem. There's a reason everyone only sings just the two verses and it's not just because it was too long... I speak as someone who hasn't been a football fan in years and hasn't watched anything in the Super Bowl since Beyonce and Bruno Mars were on it [[and that was pre-kneeling before the anthem).

Like I mention, unfortunately, it's become political. You got the activists on one side and the #MAGA Trumpers on the other...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    WADR...In other words..."Gladys...see the world through my narrow lens or you are a traitor to [[fill in the blank)"...Gladys was significantly and positively impacting peoples rights and helping those in need while some of those criticizing her [[including Mr Kaepernick) were wearing Buster Browns, Oshkosh B'Gosh or just a glint in their daddys eye and is boldly rejecting the efforts at extortion. The fact that Gladys loves her country and agreed to honor it by performing the National Anthem at this years Super Bowl is refreshing in todays politically divisive environment. She owes nothing to nobody except herself and her lifelong body of excellence and efforts to make the world a better place. Gladys has spent her life making contribution after contribution and those unfamiliar with her struggles and accomplishments should take a few minutes to learn a bit about her...Gladys is gonna tear it up...Don't like it...don't have to watch it...
    This all reminds me of when celebrities went and played Sun City in the 70s. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with Gladys Knight singing the National Anthem, she is a legend! She is already in the history books and this will not change much as it relates to the entirety of her career.

I think that's why a lot of folks are now commenting. Before, it was just a few who were upset she was even doing it. The minute she said something, it only added fuel to the fire. Like I said, I don't mind her doing it, but don't explain, just say "no comment". It's not hard to do, really. I understand she wanted to clarify but "bringing back its voice" can mean many things to those who researched the history of the anthem. There's a reason everyone only sings just the two verses and it's not just because it was too long... I speak as someone who hasn't been a football fan in years and hasn't watched anything in the Super Bowl since Beyonce and Bruno Mars were on it [[and that was pre-kneeling before the anthem).

Like I mention, unfortunately, it's become political. You got the activists on one side and the #MAGA Trumpers on the other...
    But don't you find this just a bit hypocritical of some folks? Everyone from Whitney Houston to Rosanne Barr has sang the National Anthem at sporting events. It had the same history and lyrics as it does now!

Just a sidenote if i may...the anthem was not written aboard a ship in the baltimore harbour but in a tavern on 14th st in d.c.

But don't you find this just a bit hypocritical of some folks? Everyone from Whitney Houston to Rosanne Barr has sang the National Anthem at sporting events. It had the same history and lyrics as it does now!
    They've skipped two verses in the song for a good reason though...

I think the point was, folks don't think this is their anthem so they'll give anyone a side eye who claims it is. Hence the Gladys issue.

I mean I get why it would be hypocritical but yeah...
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-19-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Just a sidenote if i may...the anthem was not written aboard a ship in the baltimore harbour but in a tavern on 14th st in d.c.
    I didn't know that. Thanks JAI.

They've skipped two verses in the song for a good reason though...

I think the point was, folks don't think this is their anthem so they'll give anyone a side eye who claims it is. Hence the Gladys issue.

I don't know what the two verses are. I do know that we sang it in school. We also said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning.

I don't know what the two verses are. I do know that we sang it in school. We also said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning.
    Apparently one of the verses was about slavery. :/ It WAS written in 1814 after all.

This all reminds me of when celebrities went and played Sun City in the 70s. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with Gladys Knight singing the National Anthem, she is a legend! She is already in the history books and this will not change much as it relates to the entirety of her career.
    Thank God the extortionists weren't around when THIS happened...https://youtu.be/5bW5Wf_dH7Q

The hypocrisy around the anthem is manifold, especially when it comes to it being sung before sporting events. I often ask the patriots who are enraged that Kaepernick chose to kneel if they stand when the anthem is sung at home. Most ignore the question and the others lie by saying that they do. I've grown up in a family full of veterans and I've never seen one of them stand when the anthem is sung before an NBA or NFL game. One guy on Facebook chose to lie and say that if he hears it played on the radio while he's driving his rig, he'll pull over and stand outside his truck in attention until it's over. BS for many obvious reasons, not the least that it takes five minutes to pull a semi over on the freeway and brake it down. So if you're such a patriot, why lie about it?

There were two easy ways to handle Kaepernick's protest, one hard one and one deceptive way to view it. The easy ways to handle it would be to look at something else in a stadium with 60 thousand people or simply ignore it. The hard way would be to acknowledge that we are far away from having a country where there is liberty and justice for all by working to change a system that shrugged this week when three cops who were proven guilty of conspiring to cover up the murder of LaQuan McDonald by a fellow cop were acquitted by a judge who acknowledged their conspiracy. And a day later, the pig who pumped 16 bullets into him was given six years for the murder.

God bless everybody who watches the Super Bowl this year, but I won't be one of them. And Gladys can choke on the anthem for all that I care. I wonder if she'd feel the same way if one of her sons was killed by a cop like my brother-in-law was?

And if anybody reading this wonders what the anthem has to do with any of this, I ask what the hell it has to do with football? It galls me to see thousands of people who watch black players compete for their favorite teams, rooting and cheering when they score. But if those players were killed in error or malice by cops the day after they quit, most of those fans would be fine with it. They don't mind black players. But they'll be damned if they care about black people.

"Land of the free" my ass. One day, look up the sentencing discrepancy rates of black people and white people who are convicted of the same crimes. In most cases, the same judge is much harsher about sending black people to prison in the exact same circumstances. This is America.

Well said Jerry!

Preach, Jerry. As much as it pains me to say this, Gladys got this one 50 kinds of wrong. If she had just taken the gig and eaten her food, it would have been bad enough. But to throw shade at Kaep and the other protesters is a bridge too far. Ultimately, I'm not shocked that she chose to kowtow to the NFL plantation; my shock over her judgment stopped the day she joined a religion that preached that Black folks were evil [[until their funding was threatened). And now--surprisibus surprisibus-- Fox News is lionizing her [[probably with a graphic of Patti LaBelle). Those kinda friends I don't need.
    Last edited by sansradio; 01-19-2019 at 10:50 PM.

The hypocrisy around the anthem is manifold, especially when it comes to it being sung before sporting events. I often ask the patriots who are enraged that Kaepernick chose to kneel if they stand when the anthem is sung at home. Most ignore the question and the others lie by saying that they do. I've grown up in a family full of veterans and I've never seen one of them stand when the anthem is sung before an NBA or NFL game. One guy on Facebook chose to lie and say that if he hears it played on the radio while he's driving his rig, he'll pull over and stand outside his truck in attention until it's over. BS for many obvious reasons, not the least that it takes five minutes to pull a semi over on the freeway and brake it down. So if you're such a patriot, why lie about it?

There were two easy ways to handle Kaepernick's protest, one hard one and one deceptive way to view it. The easy ways to handle it would be to look at something else in a stadium with 60 thousand people or simply ignore it. The hard way would be to acknowledge that we are far away from having a country where there is liberty and justice for all by working to change a system that shrugged this week when three cops who were proven guilty of conspiring to cover up the murder of LaQuan McDonald by a fellow cop were acquitted by a judge who acknowledged their conspiracy. And a day later, the pig who pumped 16 bullets into him was given six years for the murder.

God bless everybody who watches the Super Bowl this year, but I won't be one of them. And Gladys can choke on the anthem for all that I care. I wonder if she'd feel the same way if one of her sons was killed by a cop like my brother-in-law was?

And if anybody reading this wonders what the anthem has to do with any of this, I ask what the hell it has to do with football? It galls me to see thousands of people who watch black players compete for their favorite teams, rooting and cheering when they score. But if those players were killed in error or malice by cops the day after they quit, most of those fans would be fine with it. They don't mind black players. But they'll be damned if they care about black people.

"Land of the free" my ass. One day, look up the sentencing discrepancy rates of black people and white people who are convicted of the same crimes. In most cases, the same judge is much harsher about sending black people to prison in the exact same circumstances. This is America.

Well said Jerry. The little respect I had Gladys Knight went out the window when she played right into the hands of the MAGA bigots by trashing a true patriot like Colin Kaepernick. Ive always known she was phony but this is simply disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Thank God the extortionists weren't around when THIS happened...https://youtu.be/5bW5Wf_dH7Q
    Whitney shut it down for all times! hehehehehehe! There were grown men crying after that. For many years they played Whitney Houston's version everyday in New York at 12 noon on WCBS.

Jerry you made a lot of great points. It reminded me of Motown, it's music and the Motortown Revue tours of the South during the early 60's. You had die hard southern racists attending these shows that had segregated audiences. The performers were black, the music was black music, but yet they paid money to see the shows. They never gave a thought to the fact the black entertainers they were cheering could not sleep in the local hotels or eat at the local restaurants! They just disconnected from all of that when it came to the music. Hypocresy!

People lied when they claimed that the Veterans were offended by the NFL protest, but a large group of Veterans said publicly that they were not offended. They said the reason they went and fought was for Americans like me, you, Kaepernick and everyone to have the right to protest injustices. That truck driver you mentioned is lying. People in this country love to pick sides like life is a school yard game with shirts vs skins. They don't even know why they do it most of time. I support Colin Kaepernick and have since the very beginning. I have gotten into my share of arguments over it. I love Gladys Knight and have all of my life and will continue to love her. She's not perfect, but who is?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Well said Jerry!
    Yes he did!

Now Marv are you implying there is fake news?! Lol

Jerry you made a lot of great points. It reminded me of Motown, it's music and the Motortown Revue tours of the South during the early 60's. You had die hard southern racists attending these shows that had segregated audiences. The performers were black, the music was black music, but yet they paid money to see the shows. They never gave a thought to the fact the black entertainers they were cheering could not sleep in the local hotels or eat at the local restaurants! They just disconnected from all of that when it came to the music. Hypocresy!

People lied when they claimed that the Veterans were offended by the NFL protest, but a large group of Veterans said publicly that they were not offended. They said the reason they went and fought was for Americans like me, you, Kaepernick and everyone to have the right to protest injustices. That truck driver you mentioned is lying. People in this country love to pick sides like life is a school yard game with shirts vs skins. They don't even know why they do it most of time. I support Colin Kaepernick and have since the very beginning. I have gotten into my share of arguments over it. I love Gladys Knight and have all of my life and will continue to love her. She's not perfect, but who is?
    That's cool, Marv. You will never hear me encourage anybody to accept my views on anything. I will argue about a lot but never to try to coerce someone to do something that they don't want to do. On one of the Clubhouse threads, Jai, moe, ms_m and I discuss football and basketball and I haven't watched a football game at home all year. But I love those three enough that I want them to enjoy it. I feel the same way with you and Gladys. Never ever let somebody twist how you feel about someone or something.

I'm a little special pissy with Ms. Knight because I'm pretty sure she appeared as the Bee on the "Masked Singer" a couple weeks ago and she knocked her song out of the park. I was happy to know that she still had pipes and looking forward to what she was going to do next. And then, she did this shit.

I don't hate her because I don't hate too many people. But I just don't like her anymore. And that's just too bad. If you didn't see the show, here she is:

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Now Marv are you implying there is fake news?! Lol
    Luke, I said no such thing! LOL!