[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hi Rob... I wanted to "see" Diana's "Best Years of My Life" and googled the ITUNE Charts but didn't see it at #50. The #50 spot was "Better Now" by Post Malone. Is there an R&B chart perhaps? Just curious. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There’s a clip on Facebook of someone, I don’t know who, singing Mercy Mercy Me - and also of Stevie Wonder singing
    John Legend performed a Marvin tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Mary at the Grammys

Pinched from Stephen Woods

Attachment 15022
    SW pinched these from FB and Twitter.

mary at the grammys

pinched from stephen woods

Attachment 15022
    Alright Miss Wilson!!!

I have a friend involved with this show.

Gladys had a gig last night and couldn’t attend. I didn’t ask about Otis or others, but don’t assume folks werent asked just because they weren’t there. Mary will never be invited to perform or appear onstage at a Motown controlled production because of her erratic behavior and lack of respect to the plans. Crashing the stage at Motown The Musical cemented that forever. Sadly, I’m told by another source that Berry totally snubbed Mary even with her standing ten feet in front of him at one point looking fantastic and acting quite conspicuous. I’m going to discreetly enquirer about who she spoke to when the time is right so as not to embarrass her, but three sources state that she never got Gordy or Ross’ attention. The press would have exploded again with a pic of them but I guess Miss Ross is not, like Minnie Castevette, ”innerested.”
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 02-13-2019 at 01:18 PM.

I dont plan on watching this nor did I watch the Grammys. I've been very disappointed in how Motown's legacy has been preserved over the years. I dont know if Berry Gordy lost it somewhere along the way or what.

I'm hesitant regarding this Motown documentary but I do plan on watching that one.

Shame to hear that at 75, Mary and Diana cant even say hello to each other. I wonder if Flo were here if she'd be putting up with those two's behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post

Gladys had a gig last night and couldn’t attend. I didn’t ask about Otis or others, but don’t assume folks werent asked just because they weren’t there. Mary will never be invited to perform or appear onstage at a Motown controlled production because of her erratic behavior and lack of respect to the plans. Crashing the stage at Motown The Musical cemented that forever. Sadly, I’m told by another source that Berry totally snubbed Mary even with her standing ten feet in front of him at one point looking fantastic and acting quite conspicuous. I’m going to discreetly enquirer about who she spoke to when the time is right so as not to embarrass her, but three sources state that she never got Gordy or Ross’ attention. The press would have exploded again with a pic of them but I guess Miss Ross is not, like Minnie Castevette, ”innerested.”
    Yikes!

I do suspect some artists were busy. Gladys always has a gig to do lol

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I dont plan on watching this nor did I watch the Grammys. I've been very disappointed in how Motown's legacy has been preserved over the years. I dont know if Berry Gordy lost it somewhere along the way or what.

I'm hesitant regarding this Motown documentary but I do plan on watching that one.

Shame to hear that at 75, Mary and Diana cant even say hello to each other. I wonder if Flo were here if she'd be putting up with those two's behavior.
    Flo would probably be rolling her eyes at the both of them spilling tea on them like Denise Clark-Bradford of the Clark Sisters lol

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    John Legend performed a Marvin tribute.
    I thought it might be him. I might be able to find and post it.

You beat me to posting this.

The lineup actually does look good. Meghan at least has a voice.

But yeah not surprised Stevie got to close it out...

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    Hi Rob... I wanted to "see" Diana's "Best Years of My Life" and googled the ITUNE Charts but didn't see it at #50. The #50 spot was "Better Now" by Post Malone. Is there an R&B chart perhaps? Just curious. Thanks.
    Yes it was the R & B chart; she and Motown had a lot of entries after the show.

Yeah you have to check the iTunes R&B charts. Not pop ones.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/mo...ary-2-12-2019/

There's some performance clips there - Wonder, Ross, Legend, I think

Looks like your sources are wrong. Here's a photo of Gordy with Mary and Claudette Robinson last night. Mary has been at a lot of events with Gordy since the musical opening and he never has snubbed her. There are lots of photos of them together, hugging, etc. In fact, Mary introduced me to Mr. Gordy back in 2015 and from what I saw the two of them had great affection for the other.

Name:  GordyWilsonRobinson.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  73.5 KB

Thanks for clearing that up, Brad! I was concerned for a minute.

And FTR, Mary did talk with both Berry and Diana the night she took her bow with them during the end of MTM. So I don't know where MM's friend got that from.

I'm sure they can at least smile and say hello; they've hardly seen each other for 50 years; even feuding family members can generally get over it and smile for 20 seconds.

maybe they could have had Mary sing with the other ladies from the Supremes , but then again. just a thought. obviously that didn't happen. in my mind I was hoping for Stoned Love.

Thanks for posting Brad. For as little as I know, I would have found it hard to believe that Mary and Berry would have zero interaction. I can't say for certain Berry would have approached her, but there's no way she would have not said hello to him. And say what everyone else might, I'd almost bet Mary and Diana at some point exchanged pleasantries.

What's disappointing about Motown 60, to me, is how wrong they got it. When you think about how many original players are still left and able to travel, every singer from the glory days should have been there: Kat from the Marvelettes, Roz, Nettie, Betty, and Lois from the Vandellas, Otis, Duke, and every living Supreme, with the exception of Cindy. You could even extend that to the Velvelettes and the Andantes, and of course, the Jackson 4. What is that, 20 people at most? Let them stand up and wave and be recognized for 6 decades of music.

Now maybe some were there. Maybe some couldn't make it. But if it was open to the public, there's no reason there shouldn't have been an invitation.

that picture, I hate to say it, looks doctored,like she was pasted on there...,how it looks to me anyway

Why do you think it's shopped???

@marybrewster, I think there's a sad reason the Jackson 4 was not invited or were probably disinvited.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    that picture, I hate to say it, looks doctored,like she was pasted on there...,how it looks to me anyway
    Huh??? It's definitely not photoshopped.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Ooooos. I guess I misheard
    Yes, CBS. Remember that big Grammy Salute to Stevie Wonder a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Thanks for posting Brad. For as little as I know, I would have found it hard to believe that Mary and Berry would have zero interaction. I can't say for certain Berry would have approached her, but there's no way she would have not said hello to him. And say what everyone else might, I'd almost bet Mary and Diana at some point exchanged pleasantries.

What's disappointing about Motown 60, to me, is how wrong they got it. When you think about how many original players are still left and able to travel, every singer from the glory days should have been there: Kat from the Marvelettes, Roz, Nettie, Betty, and Lois from the Vandellas, Otis, Duke, and every living Supreme, with the exception of Cindy. You could even extend that to the Velvelettes and the Andantes, and of course, the Jackson 4. What is that, 20 people at most? Let them stand up and wave and be recognized for 6 decades of music.

Now maybe some were there. Maybe some couldn't make it. But if it was open to the public, there's no reason there shouldn't have been an invitation.
    Now I agree with and like your ideas here.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Looks like your sources are wrong. Here's a photo of Gordy with Mary and Claudette Robinson last night. Mary has been at a lot of events with Gordy since the musical opening and he never has snubbed her. There are lots of photos of them together, hugging, etc. In fact, Mary introduced me to Mr. Gordy back in 2015 and from what I saw the two of them had great affection for the other.

You cannot believe almost anything this guy MotownManiac says ESPECIALLY when it comes to Mary Wilson or Berry Gordy. Mary and Berry are very close. Mary has also been represented in EVERY Motown Anniversary in some form or fashion, so I don't know what he is talking about and where he got that idea.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-13-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

They all look great! Thanks for the photo Brad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    It does to me too now that I have taken a second look.

Mary at the Grammys

Pinched from Stephen Woods

Attachment 15022
    She looks spectacular! Thank you!

Another pinched photo. Mary With Steven Aaron. Mary looks f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s

Attachment 15023
    Mary is looking as fine as ever........! Thank you again theboyfromxtown!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    It does to me too now that I have taken a second look.
    I didn't really take much notice of this photo until you guys mentioned it, but now i think you may indeed have a point. This does not look natural.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post

Flo would have no say over who they talk to, so I doubt very much if she’d put up with it or not.

I do know now now that I was given wrong info about Berry snubbing Mary last night. They did speak and were friendly. My ”sources” saw Mary enter, and saw Berry notice and adjust away - they never saw them together, but another bud said they spoke and he saw it. As for Ross, she never was in the audience before the show, then suddenly appeared sitting next to Berry for her segment, sang Mahogany, good morning heartache and my man, then went up on stage with Berry, introduced him and walked off stage as Berry spoke. She got in her car and split so There would not have been a chance for mary and diana to speak should they have wanted to. Although taped about in the middle of the show, Ross’ segment will be shown at the end to close the broadcast.

Martha sang Nowhere To Run and Thelma Houston brought down the House with her number one. Stevie did 35 minutes And, oddly, no one can remember the Jacksons Or MJ even being mentioned - maybe a segment is going to be added later as I can’t imagine that at least the historic moonwalk would not have been referenced. No Lionel Richie. Otis was there but not on stage. At one point they asked for people in the audience who were part of the Motown family To stand, and that’s when people like Otis and Mary and others were acknowledged. I’m glad they had Martha and Thelma perform, but I’m shocked that the Temptations did not perform…… Again perhaps they’ll be some sort of video tribute added. Also, since Diana only sing solo songs, I wonder if there will be some sort of video tribute to the supreme us it would be odd if they weren’t mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up, Brad! I was concerned for a minute.

And FTR, Mary did talk with both Berry and Diana the night she took her bow with them during the end of MTM. So I don't know where MM's friend got that from.
    my bud was doing press at the event and neither he, nor other friends saw Berryband Mary together, but another did and there’s a pic.

I was at Motown The Musical opening night and saw Exactly what happened. During the ceremony after the play, Diana, Stevie, Smokey and Berry were onstage with cast members when Mary and Gladys cane walking down the aisle toward the stage, went up the stairs [[used by thevross character to descend Into the audience for Reach out and touch) got up on stage and walked all the way across to the other end of the stage where Gordy and ross were…… Mary walked straight towards Diana kissed her fingers and raised them up in the air that look like perhaps she was going to slap her but instead it made the pleasant gesture of taking the kids that was on her lips and putting it on Diana‘s face. Nonetheless, Diana looked extremely uncomfortable. And it’s true that they took pictures together but that is absolutely not any kind of indication of their closeness. In fact, being a first-hand witness to that, I put the entire relationship to bed in my mind because it was it abundantly clear that while Diana would go through the motions of posing in front of the camera, she really wasn’t good enough actress to appear pleased to see Mary let alone Pose with her during an impromptu and totally uninvited and unexpected photo op. Now I know what Mary tells me, but I don’t know that I believe that she really does love Diana. Of course I’ve never met Diana so I have no idea what she Thinks about anything, But if body language and forced smile’s say anything, my prediction is that’s the last will see the two of them together. And if so, I’m actually glad they got their picture taken together so those wanting something like that get their wish.

I’ve just heard Diana singing Do you know and she was in splendid voice

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You cannot believe almost anything this guy MotownManiac says ESPECIALLY when it comes to Mary Wilson or Berry Gordy. Mary and Berry are very close. Mary has also been represented in EVERY Motown Anniversary in some form or fashion, so I don't know what he is talking about and where he got that idea.
    I specifically stated that my sources told me because I myself didn’t witness it [[however, I did believe it to be accurate) As soon as I found out differently, I came on to correct the info - see above post. When, on the rare occasion I have been incorrect before, I’ve corrected it asap. I have no agenda or reason or desire to make stuff up like you do. And the difference is that when you are proved wrong, you just disappear from the thread and you DO have an agenda. Two of my faves of yours:

1)Diana Ross, in a major act of greed, gavecall and list all of her money with Bernie Madoff.

2) that Mary got her Hollywood Palace solo because the director thought it was unfair Ross got all the solos and TOLD Berry that Mary was doing a solo.

Need i I go On? There are dozens more.

In neither case case did you accept proof to the contrary. Even when one guy explained to you that Variety show directors have ZERO content control - they are there to bring the script to life. Several of us actually checked with Mary who said those decisions were made by Berry only.

the point of this forum, for most of us, is to share and learn about an art form we have a passion for - not to sway opinion with falsities.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 02-14-2019 at 09:05 AM.

I specifically stated that my sources told me because I myself didn’t witness it [[however, I did believe it to be accurate) As soon as I found out differently, I came on to correct the info - see above post. When, on the rare occasion I have been incorrect before, I’ve corrected it asap. I have no agenda or reason or desire to make stuff up like you do. And the difference is that when you are proved wrong, you just disappear from the thread and you DO have an agenda. Two of my faves of yours:

1)Diana Ross, in a major act of greed, gavecall and list all of her money with Bernie Madoff.

2) that Mary got her Hollywood Palace solo because the director thought it was unfair Ross got all the solos and TOLD Berry that Mary was doing a solo.

In neither case case did you accept proof to the contrary. Even when one guy explained to you that Variety show directors have ZERO content control - they are there to bring the script to life. Several of us actually checked with Mary who said those decisions were made by Berry only.

the point of this forum, for most of us, is to share and learn about an art form we have a passion for - not to sway opinion with falsities.
    Right?? I'm waiting for him to involve Diana & Berry in Russian election meddling, the Flint water crisis, and climate change. Imagine what a more productive person could do with the time this one wastes on trying to avenge a bodyguard for taking his camera. #laughingstock.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Right?? I'm waiting for him to involve Diana & Berry in Russian election meddling, the Flint water crisis, and climate change. Imagine what a more productive person could do with the time this one wastes on trying to avenge a bodyguard for taking his camera. #laughingstock.
    You will probably not have long to wait!

Excellent response and explanation. You have no further need to explain yourself. If you know who is still determined to pick a fight we can dig out some of the occasions when he has been proved to be talking out of his rectum, and then not having the courage or manners to offer an apology. You have dignity and courtesy in abundance , and you can hold your head up high, unlike you know who. Respect to you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt1ZNUpg...wdwLH-0nNbZcAQ

Hope this works She sounds so great

Although taped about in the middle of the show, Ross’ segment will be shown at the end to close the broadcast.
    As for Ross, she never was in the audience before the show, then suddenly appeared sitting next to Berry for her segment, sang Mahogany, good morning heartache and my man, then went up on stage with Berry, introduced him and walked off stage as Berry spoke.
    Yes, those songs that everyone knows were big Motown hits -- "Good Morning, Heartache" and "My Man."

Thanks for that clip of My Man, one of her greatest performances

my bud was doing press at the event and neither he, nor other friends saw Berryband Mary together, but another did and there’s a pic.

I was at Motown The Musical opening night and saw Exactly what happened. During the ceremony after the play, Diana, Stevie, Smokey and Berry were onstage with cast members when Mary and Gladys cane walking down the aisle toward the stage, went up the stairs [[used by thevross character to descend Into the audience for Reach out and touch) got up on stage and walked all the way across to the other end of the stage where Gordy and ross were…… Mary walked straight towards Diana kissed her fingers and raised them up in the air that look like perhaps she was going to slap her but instead it made the pleasant gesture of taking the kids that was on her lips and putting it on Diana‘s face. Nonetheless, Diana looked extremely uncomfortable. And it’s true that they took pictures together but that is absolutely not any kind of indication of their closeness. In fact, being a first-hand witness to that, I put the entire relationship to bed in my mind because it was it abundantly clear that while Diana would go through the motions of posing in front of the camera, she really wasn’t good enough actress to appear pleased to see Mary let alone Pose with her during an impromptu and totally uninvited and unexpected photo op. Now I know what Mary tells me, but I don’t know that I believe that she really does love Diana. Of course I’ve never met Diana so I have no idea what she Thinks about anything, But if body language and forced smile’s say anything, my prediction is that’s the last will see the two of them together. And if so, I’m actually glad they got their picture taken together so those wanting something like that get their wish.
    Interesting. There are many versions of this event but all seem quite similar and all seem to agree that Wilson, perpetuating the one career move she gets right, rushed up to the one person present guaranteed to get her publicity, Diana Ross.

We've all [[at least those of us who have actually had workplace/neighbor friend-quaintances...) had the experience of 'that person' who could just not give up the glom and move on, managing to spoil a perfectly nice, occasional meeting - in the same way that Wilson can't stop, at every given opportunity, mentioning that she briefly worked with Diana Ross 50 years ago.

Too, I can't help but remember Wilson's shock [[SHOCK!) that Diana DARED to approach her at Florence's funeral so that the two could remember together their fallen friend. I can only imagine the repercussions if Diana had not done so, but that's perhaps another thread.

Acting? Hmm. Two thoughts. 1) Even Meryl Streep couldn't act the part well enough; 2) Diana is a better actress than we think, being that she managed even to go through the motions and pose during the usual shenanigans.

I thought Diana looked like she might be sick

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    Yes, those songs that everyone knows were big Motown hits -- "Good Morning, Heartache" and "My Man."
    Diana’s segment of the show was called “Movie Medley”. Someone who attended took a picture of the production log. It was only that section I saw . I’m sure her solo hits/ Supreme songs were represented in the show, either by video, or someone performing them.

They were from her #1 album on the Billboard charts. The Soundtrack to "Lady Sings The Blues". So these are big Diana Ross songs.

I know recent post in this thread are about Mary, or Diana, but This topic is about the taping of a Motown special. Why would it be moved out of the Motown section? So odd. Is there even any point now for me to say something about the Temptations or Marvellettes?

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    They were from her #1 album on the Billboard charts. The Soundtrack to "Lady Sings The Blues". So these are big Diana Ross songs.
    While what you say about them appearing on a Number One album, I think a "Motown 60th Special" with non-Motown artists is geared for the casual viewer, not Motown aficianados like us. If you were to ask people, "Name some of Diana Ross' hits," I highly doubt most people on the street would answer "My Man" or even "Good Morning, Heartache." It shows how much things have changed since the 1960s. Diana probably was asked what she would like to sing and there was a "negotiation" about it.
    Nothing really wrong with it, it's just that I would imagine that the average casual viewer will wonder, "Why not 'Upside Down' or 'I'm Comin' Out' ? "

While what you say about them appearing on a Number One album, I think a "Motown 60th Special" with non-Motown artists is geared for the casual viewer, not Motown aficianados like us. If you were to ask people, "Name some of Diana Ross' hits," I highly doubt most people on the street would answer "My Man" or even "Good Morning, Heartache." It shows how much things have changed since the 1960s. Diana probably was asked what she would like to sing and there was a "negotiation" about it.
    Nothing really wrong with it, it's just that I would imagine that the average casual viewer will wonder, "Why not 'Upside Down' or 'I'm Comin' Out' ? "
    I haven't seen the special but I was thinking these songs were chosen to highlight Motowns involvement or success in the Movies.

I for one am delighted Diana chose to sing "Good Morning Heartache" and "My Man". Now i am REALLY looking forward to seeing motown 60. As far i'm concerned she can keep "I'm Coming Out" for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I for one am delighted Diana chose to sing "Good Morning Heartache" and "My Man". Now i am REALLY looking forward to seeing motown 60. As far i'm concerned she can keep "I'm Coming Out" for another day.
    I love & look foward to GMH and MM!