[REMOVE ADS]

Carol Channing's Connection to the Supremes

I just read this morning that the great Carol Channing passed away. My first exposure to her name was back in 1967 when the Diana Ross & the Supremes' Greatest Hits 3-lp album was released. Miss Channing wrote the liner notes.

My opinion: I always felt that there was a similarity in the look of Diana and Carol in their eyes and their mouths. They both, again my opinion, seemed to 'own' whatever room they entered.

Interesting comparison and I felt that too in a similar way. When Carol left Dolly in the sixties, the entire cast was replaced with an all black cast starring Pearl Bailey. Pearl also filled any room that she entered.

Last year, when Bette Midler was set to leave the successful revival of Dolly, I wished that they would have done the same and replace the cast with an all black cast starring Diana Ross.

Of course it was wishful thinking, but we do a lot of that here.

Carol Channing was a Broadway and entertainment treasure. I regret that I never got to see her perform live.
    Last edited by milven; 01-15-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I just read this morning that the great Carol Channing passed away. My first exposure to her name was back in 1967 when the Diana Ross & the Supremes' Greatest Hits 3-lp album was released. Miss Channing wrote the liner notes.

My opinion: I always felt that there was a similarity in the look of Diana and Carol in their eyes and their mouths. They both, again my opinion, seemed to 'own' whatever room they entered.
    Did you know Carol was part African American?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did you know Carol was part African American?
    She mentioned it in her autobiography that she had a black grandmother and her dad’s birth certificate listed him as “colored”. Because of discrimination, she kept it quiet to avoid the discriminatory treatment that black entertainers of the time experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    The liner notes she wrote were intended for the From Broadway To Hollywood album. When the album was scrapped, they used the liner notes for Greatest Hits.

With her charisma that’s a great idea per Diana doing Hello Dolly! Have never understood Channing’s appeal but I never saw her in a show. Did she have a great voice?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    With her charisma that’s a great idea per Diana doing Hello Dolly! Have never understood Channing’s appeal but I never saw her in a show. Did she have a great voice?
    Not technically, but, much like Elaine Stritch, she a had a razzle-dazzle effervescence that was irresistible.

Carol Channing had so much warmth and enthusiasm to her personality that, to me, she could even seem a tad over-the-top on camera, especially in close-up.

Live, on stage, Ms. Channing's persona just seemed to fill the place. It was almost as if she was holding the entire audience in her arms.

Every utterance with that raspy voice, every flash of that wider than wide smile, seemed to emanate straight from her heart, to yours.

Every bat of those eyelashes billowed warmth and goodwill down the aisles, and then to encircle the seats.

Mesmerising, and really quite extraordinary....

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Carol Channing had so much warmth and enthusiasm to her personality that, to me, she could even seem a tad over-the-top on camera, especially in close-up.

Live, on stage, Ms. Channing's persona just seemed to fill the place. It was almost as if she was holding the entire audience in her arms.

Every utterance with that raspy voice, every flash of that wider than wide smile, seemed to emanate straight from her heart, to yours.

Every bat of those eyelashes billowed warmth and goodwill down the aisles, and then to encircle the seats.

Mesmerising, and really quite extraordinary....
    I remember her most from the Ed Sullivan Show and guest shots on Laugh In.

Great entertainer. May she RIP.

One of the last great old school entertainer dames......Carol Channing. Will always be remember. Rest in peace and thank you!

Marv

She really had a great life. Indeed her life will be celebrated. I never noticed it before but @jobucats you nailed it. They both flashed their eyes in the same way. Diane commented once in an early interview in TV Guide that she was trying to tone down her gestures and mentioned her eye flashing. But you're right, she and Channing, and the other Broadway greats like Jolson and Merman, they could play to the entire audience.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    She really had a great life. Indeed her life will be celebrated. I never noticed it before but @jobucats you nailed it. They both flashed their eyes in the same way. Diane commented once in an early interview in TV Guide that she was trying to tone down her gestures and mentioned her eye flashing. But you're right, she and Channing, and the other Broadway greats like Jolson and Merman, they could play to the entire audience.
    They both had the ability to make you feel like you are also the only one in the room with them. One of my leisure time activities is to go to the "What's My Line" channel on YouTube and watch those classic shows from the 50s and 60s. Carol was on there several times as mystery guest and guest panelist. As we are all remembering, she just had that certain charisma about her. Let's not forget her hair styles [[wigs) back in the day were very similar to the ones Diana was sporting.