[REMOVE ADS]

Cosmic Truth & Higher Than High: The Undisputed Truth

Yes!!! Its finally happening!!

Good news.

YES!!!! So cool!!!! Can't wait!

Wonderful news... Cosmic Truth is my all time favorite album by them.

Excellent! I'm so pleased that these are going to be issued. I've already ordered my copy :-)

Fantastic! The Ace releases are top notch and these albums deserve to be reissued.

Thanks for the good news, lucky! I needed a pick-me-up, and this did the trick!

I guess this has been released now???

Thanks for bumping this up, Tom. This release hasn’t gotten much fanfare.

No bonus tracks or anything but I’m still thrilled to have it!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I guess this has been released now???
    Yes, Tom. My copy arrived this past Monday from Amazon [[U.S.). Sound quality is great, as always. Out of 18 tracks, I like 5, but I knew that when I ordered it. My favorite Undisputed Truth albums were their first self-titled "Undisputed Truth" LP, their 3rd LP "Law Of The Land", and their 4th LP "Down To Earth". These last two Motown releases -- "Cosmic Truth" and "Higher Than High" -- were too psychedelic-laden for my taste, but they had their moments and, regardless, it's Motown and I had to have it!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-13-2019 at 11:09 PM.

You fool you PMG. Buying cos it's Motown whatever next lol? I have to have it for the same reason [[and I dont think I've heard the albums before). Price seems a little steep at the moment

I got mine direct from Ace records. Got delivered on 23rd Feb. Paid £17.75.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    You fool you PMG. Buying cos it's Motown whatever next lol? I have to have it for the same reason [[and I dont think I've heard the albums before). Price seems a little steep at the moment
    Yep! It's the Motown addiction, alright. We Motown junkies are a loyal bunch! And, I, too thought the price was a bit steeper than usual, but, then....such is life. To avoid being disappointed and frustrated later, you should get your CD copy now while the gettin' is good. We all know what could happen later when the only CD copy available is for $100.00 via the price gougers. [[I'm not sorry I bought it. The five tracks I like make having the set worth having. It's just that the remaining tracks aren't at all soulful to me. Some of them don't even sound like Norman nor Motown but, it IS Motown, and had to have it.)

I hear you Gary, some of the tracks are quite crazy and out there, but I still enjoy them. What are the tracks you do like?

I hear you Gary, some of the tracks are quite crazy and out there, but I still enjoy them. What are the tracks you do like?
    Tom, the tracks I like are:

CD 1: "Cosmic Truth"

Tracks:
    6) Spaced Out
    9) [[I Know) I'm Losing You

CD 2 - "Higher Than High"

Tracks:
    1) Higher Than High
    2) Poontang
    5) Help Yourself [[laid-back 2nd version)

For me, the remaining tracks range from yuck to so-so.

Which tracks are your favorites, Tom?

I recall these albums during my university years. Glad to have them on CD. Especially love Earthquake Shake, Down By The River, UFO, Lil' Red Ridin' Hood, and Spaced Out from Cosmic Truth. From Higher Than High, favorites are Poontang, Help Yourself [[2 version), Overload, I'm In The Red Zone, and I Saw You When You Met Her. The track Higher than High was a favorite when I was in school. Not so much now, but glad to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Tom, the tracks I like are:

CD 1: "Cosmic Truth"

Tracks:
    6) Spaced Out
    9) [[I Know) I'm Losing You

CD 2 - "Higher Than High"

Tracks:
    1) Higher Than High
    2) Poontang
    5) Help Yourself [[laid-back 2nd version)

For me, the remaining tracks range from yuck to so-so.

Which tracks are your favorites, Tom?
    Great choices Gary! Those are probably the least crazy and trippy tracks.

I like all of the tracks apart from "Overload", which I've never really got into. My favourite of them all is definitely "Poontang" such an awesome song I wish it were longer. "Earthquake Shake" [[not including the weird outro) and "Higher Than High" probably second.

"Squeeze Me, Tease Me" and "I'm In The Red Zone" I always find fun!! A great version of "Ma" as well.

I wonder if you know the definition of "Poontang".

AllMusic's review of Higher Than High:

Higher Than High expands on the spacy vibes first exhibited on Down to Earth, expanded on via Cosmic Truth, and maximized on this, their exit album from the Gordy/Motown family of labels. Members, Joe Harris, Calvin Stephenson, Tyrone Barkley, Tyrone Douglas, and Virginia McDonald bend your mind on a set that's comparable to critically acclaimed Funkadelic albums of the same period. "Life Ain't So Easy," asung by Joe and Virginia, is a haunting ballad about the perils of big city life; "Poontang" probably shocked Berry Gordy Jr. out of his mansion -- the risqué chorus goes "I used to hate it, til I ate it." "Help Yourself" is the best rocker on the set; this version is different from an earlier version they recorded. And I can't imagine what type of dance you would do to "Boogie Bump Boogie," a psychedelic groover performed at laser speed. "I Saw You When You Met Her" is an eerie ballad about a woman who caught her man cheating; nice, but I like David Ruffin's version off the Me & Rock n Roll are Here to Stay album better. "I'm In the Red Zone" compares sexual frustration to a jonesing junkie. A nice parting shot for the group and Norman Whitfield.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I wonder if you know the definition of "Poontang".
    Of course

"an ode to cunnilingus"

Tom, look at you with your tongue hangin' out"! HaHaHaHaHa!!!

You definitely got it Gary! Ha!!

And I thought you were young and innocent

This is a great release! I wasn't listening to the UD back then - I was young and my taste went to more straight up disco, with some Motown on the side but it didn't extend to the UD though I was always a big fan of their second album.

I had no idea they had gone so all out funky [[except for the costumes) previously. Whitfield really was a genius. He took elements of P-Funk and Sly Stone and others but totally makes everything with his own signature stamp readily apparent. What a great, great pair of albums! Their version of "Down by the River," a song which I love by Neil Young, well, I love the UD's version just as much after hearing their own take on it. Anyone who casts this group off as another set of "Norman Whitfield Singers" is really missing out.

There's some good reviews on Amazon. I'm going to put mine up too.

I totally agree kenneth. Definitely influenced by P-Funk but with Norman's unique and awesome stamp all over it.

I listened to both albums over a couple of days once I got the CDs, and they are indeed still great. I have come to appreciate all the tracks even though some are pretty trippy!

I posted my review on Amazon. Please add yours as well to help promote this great set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...at_pdctrvw_srp

Great review kenneth!

Great review kenneth!
    Thanks! It turned out to be a bit lengthy...always so much to say about the music.

I played "Poontang" on my radio show when I did my Motown 60 special back in january

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    I played "Poontang" on my radio show when I did my Motown 60 special back in january
    Boy, you've got guts, Alex! Back in the day, the radio station's switchboard would have lit up, the sponsors would have pulled their ads, and your show would have been history!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Great news. Thanks for the heads up. I've just ordered my copy.