[REMOVE ADS]

Is “Don’t leave me this Way” and “Love Hangover” a Blurred Line?

With all this talk of Blurred Lines either straight up copying Got to give it up, or Just being inspired by the song, it got me to thinking. Does Don’t leave me this way copy Love Hangover or was it just inspired by it? I know that for many disco Classics, if a song was hugely successful there would usually be another song released afterwords that would have the same exact groove. Sometimes by the same artist. Candi Staton comes to mind. So what’s the story with Don’t leave me this way and Love Hangover?

There is no story and no there was no copying. Hal Davis produced both recordings.

And DLMTW was a Philly song.

Don't leave me this way was recorded and released by Harold Melvin and The Blue notes in 1975... before Love Hangover...

Maybe a good comparison would be Al Hudsons "You can do it" Leon Haywoods "Don't push it dont force it" and Kool and The Gangs "Ladies Night"

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    And DLMTW was a Philly song.
    Exactly mysterysinger.

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Don't leave me this way was recorded and released by Harold Melvin and The Blue notes in 1975... before Love Hangover...

You are totally right Alexstassi!

Maybe a good comparison would be Al Hudsons "You can do it" Leon Haywoods "Don't push it dont force it" and Kool and The Gangs "Ladies Night"
    I remember back in the day when those songs were out that a lot of comparisions were made.

This is the Motown forum, so I naturally assumed that people would know I was talking about the Motown released Don’t leave me this way and Love hangover. I’m talking about the instrumentation. Thelma’s version/ arrangement of the song does not sound like Harold Melvin’s. To my ears, I hear a similarity to Love Hangover.

This is not how this works, guys. LOL

Hal Davis was behind both songs. PUHLEASE!

I’m not asking who was behind it, or what Label it was. Like Judge Judy says, it’s either yes or no. Does Don’t leave me this way have any similarities to Love Hangover? I just want to know if it’s a direct sample or a re-creation of the feeling?
    Last edited by khansperac; 01-12-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    This is not how this works, guys. LOL

Hal Davis was behind both songs. PUHLEASE!
    Exactly! This is why I said this is not a story.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I’m not asking who was behind it, or what Label it was. Like Judge Judy says, it’s either yes or no. Does Don’t leave me this way have any similarities to Love Hangover? I just want to know if it’s a direct sample or a re-creation of the feeling?
    If you're talking about the actual songs in regards to melody and chord structure. No. They don't sound anything alike. There was no copying.

If we're talking about the actual arrangements comparing "Love Hangover" to Thelma Houston's version of "Don't Leave Me This Way," then yes they are similar, but that was done on purpose by Hal Davis. He produced both tracks and used the same bass line in "Love Hangover" in "Don't Leave Me This Way." Hal intended it for Diana as the follow-up. It's no different than Smokey producing "Going To A Go Go" and making "Dancing's Alright" sound the same. The arrangements were copied, but since Hal Davis arranged both then nothing was stolen or ever be taken to court.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    "Don't Leave Me This Way" has way better and stronger vocals than "Love Hangover" So again NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Thank you Brad.

Happened on a somewhat similar discussion at another time regarding Los Angeles based sessions and musicians and happened to remember that the core rhythm guys Hal Davis liked to use and I'm pretty sure played on these tracks were Eddie Davis on bass, James Gadson on drums, and keyboardist Joe Sample. That could certainly impact the overall sound...

There were two other disco records released by Motown in 1976 that have a similar feel to Love Hangover and Don't Leave Me This Way, imo. These two were not produced by Hal Davis, so blurred lines indeed. I loved them all.

Originals - Down To Love Town [[instrumental break starts at 2:50 app):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZzqbN0ou-Y

Dynamic Superiors - I Can't Stay Away [[instrumental break starts at 3:30 and 5:30 app):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdRc3fhCEE

Van McCoy productions sound samey - "Walk Away From Love" & "Don't Pity Me" perhaps.

How about Stock, Aitken & Waterman. Same song different words.

Ike Turner did a LOT of same type of productions on the same song over and over and over and OVER AND OVER AND... well you get it.

I didn't think they sounded alike until I played "Don't Leave Me This Way" yesterday and I can hear it now! Towards the end where they go into disco mode, the bass lines especially.

How about Stock, Aitken & Waterman. Same song different words.
    Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley + Together Again by the same man.
    I Heard a Rumour by Bananarama + Donna Summer - This Time I Know It's For Real.
    All of Dead or Alive's songs.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    There were two other disco records released by Motown in 1976 that have a similar feel to Love Hangover and Don't Leave Me This Way, imo. These two were not produced by Hal Davis, so blurred lines indeed. I loved them all.

Originals - Down To Love Town [[instrumental break starts at 2:50 app):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZzqbN0ou-Y

Dynamic Superiors - I Can't Stay Away [[instrumental break starts at 3:30 and 5:30 app):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdRc3fhCEE
    I loved them all too. DOWN TO LOVE TOWN , another secret record of the disco world [[where it charted #1). If you didn't go to clubs , slim chance you knew of it:

A Frank Wilson song [[ STONED LOVE, BOOGIE DOWN ...etc....)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-16-2019 at 02:03 AM.

How about between Thelma's "Don't Leave Me This Way" and "I'm Here Again"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    How about between Thelma's "Don't Leave Me This Way" and "I'm Here Again"?

No blurred line there...that’s just the same damn song, point blank, period.🤣

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    No blurred line there...that’s just the same damn song, point blank, period.��
    Sansradio.....LOL!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Sansradio.....LOL!!!!!!
    I love ‘em both, though; no hate!😆

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    No blurred line there...that’s just the same damn song, point blank, period.��
    Reluctantly, I have to agree

Never understood why they put out I’m here again. Such a lazy copy after the brilliance of Thelma and DONT LEAVE ME THIS WAY. Why didn’t Diana record Don’t Leave Me this way? Did she not like it?

I've always wondered how Hal Davis felt about this knock-off, did it have his blessings? I wonder why he wasn't at the helm for a follow-up and The Suttons instead took over?

Also, it's one thing to plead with your partner not to leave as in DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY , it's quite another to be banging at the front door demanding to be uh, 'kissed' , as in I'M HERE AGAIN .
    Kind of creepy ..... FATAL ATTRACTION !