[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1

    Is Syreeta the winner?

    Recorded on most Motown labels? Motown, MoWest and Tamla.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Recorded on most Motown labels? Motown, MoWest and Tamla.

    I don't know what the criteria is,but in nearly 20 years with Motown, she only had one hit.

  3. #3
    If you go beyond the sale to MCA, then the Temps were on Gordy, Miracle and Motown.

  4. #4
    The Velvelettes were on Soul, VIP and some early label right? Not Motown

  5. #5
    Thelma Houston on Motown Mowest Tamla

  6. #6
    Ok I get it now. It's about who recorded on the most Motown related labels.

  7. #7
    Blinky - Motown/Soul/MoWest

  8. #8
    I thought Thelma left after MoWest and Tamla.

  9. #9
    Thought I had a Motown 45 on her once...could be wrong

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    The Velvelettes were on Soul, VIP and some early label right? Not Motown
    Yeah they had IPG, VIP, Soul and Motown (16 Big Hits Vol 6 with Needle) lol

  12. #12
    Chris Clark - Motown, V.I.P., Weed

  13. #13
    Seems the artists who got bumped around to different Motown labels were trying hard to find a fit for them and could never seem to find it...

  14. #14
    IPG had nothing to do with Motown right? Blinky was on the Motown label?

  15. #15
    IPG, independent producers group, which I think was a Mickey Stevenson project.
    I think it's 100% Motown in all but name..is musicians writers producers etc.
    Did you check the Motown 45 on Thelma posted above?

  16. #16
    The initial query says 'recorded on' . There is one group on 5 labels:

    Temptations- Gordy, Melody (as Pirates), Miracle, Motown (with Diana Ross & the Supremes), Natural Resources (LP)

    Next is a 4-way tie:

    Blinky- Gordy, Motown, Mowest, Soul (scheduled)

    Marvin Gaye- Gordy (EP), Motown, Natural Resources (LP), Tamla

    Gladys Knight & the Pips - Chisa (EP) , Motown, Natural Resources (LP) , Soul

    Miracles-Gordy (EP), Motown, Natural Resources (LP), Tamla

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    IPG had nothing to do with Motown right? Blinky was on the Motown label?
    Motown 1134: I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is/ I'll Always Love You

    Motown 1233: You Get A Tangle In Your Lifeline/This Man Of Mine

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    The initial query says 'recorded on' . There is one group on 5 labels:

    Temptations- Gordy, Melody (as Pirates), Miracle, Motown (with Diana Ross & the Supremes), Natural Resources (LP)

    Next is a 4-way tie:

    Blinky- Gordy, Motown, Mowest, Soul (scheduled)

    Marvin Gaye- Gordy (EP), Motown, Natural Resources (LP), Tamla

    Gladys Knight & the Pips - Chisa (EP) , Motown, Natural Resources (LP) , Soul

    Miracles-Gordy (EP), Motown, Natural Resources (LP), Tamla
    Should the Natural Resources label be included since those are reissues?

  19. #19
    Is it a Motown label? Is it listed in discographies?

    If not eligible, then it appears that Blinky is definitely the surprising winner!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Is it a Motown label? Is it listed in discographies?

    If not eligible, then it appears that Blinky is definitely the surprising winner!
    It is a Motown label. The initial releases were 1st issues by artists I have never even heard of, then compilation albums and after that mostly reissues and more compilations.

  21. #21
    So did Tempts have a reissue on NR label?

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    So did Tempts have a reissue on NR label?
    Yes, "In a Mellow Mood".

    https://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/natural/natural.html

  23. #23
    Now Blinky (with Edwin Starr) had a track on one of the Natural Resources compilations - "It Takes Two". The song "Oh How Happy".

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Now Blinky (with Edwin Starr) had a track on one of the Natural Resources compilations - "It Takes Two". The song "Oh How Happy".
    Thanks for that

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't know what the criteria is,but in nearly 20 years with Motown, she only had one hit.
    Five hits in the UK, including a #2 hit with Billy Preston.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    And also "T.C.B."

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Five hits in the UK, including a #2 hit with Billy Preston.
    3 solo & 2 with Billy - all Top 50

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Should the Natural Resources label be included since those are reissues?
    Nope. Marvin recorded only for Tamla. The only time he recorded for the "Motown" imprint was only because Diana's name was on top of his in their duet album so he don't count. Neither do Gladys Knight & the Pips (they only recorded for Soul; the post-departure albums don't count) or the Miracles.

  29. #29
    But don't forget "In Loving Memory" where Marvin was on the album and had a Motown single released "His Eye Is On The Sparrow".

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Nope. Marvin recorded only for Tamla. The only time he recorded for the "Motown" imprint was only because Diana's name was on top of his in their duet album so he don't count. Neither do Gladys Knight & the Pips (they only recorded for Soul; the post-departure albums don't count) or the Miracles.
    Marvin Gaye:

    Motown M-00014D1 A Funky Space Reincarnation
    A Funky Space Reincarnation (instrumental)

    Motown M9-791A3 Marvin Gaye Anthology

    Gladys Knight & the Pips:

    Chisa 60642 Various artists: In Loving Memory
    Side 1 - Gladys Knight & The Pips: How Great Thou Art

    Motown M-792S2 Gladys Knight & The Pips Anthology

    The Miracles:

    Gordy EP Jobete BMI DM04-0108 Side A DM04-0109 Side B
    Various Artists Recorded Live
    The Miracles- A Love She Can Count On

    Motown G1/G2 The Miracles featuring Bill "Smokey" Robinson Bad Girl/ I Love You
    Baby
    Also issued as Motown 2207

    I will concede that the criteria was never clearly defined. But Motown chose to release artists on labels as they saw fit, even on labels with which they were not usually associated.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Nope. Marvin recorded only for Tamla. The only time he recorded for the "Motown" imprint was only because Diana's name was on top of his in their duet album so he don't count. Neither do Gladys Knight & the Pips (they only recorded for Soul; the post-departure albums don't count) or the Miracles.
    His duets with Mary Wells were also released on the Motown imprint, even though he received top billing.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    His duets with Mary Wells were also released on the Motown imprint, even though he received top billing.
    *DOH* I forgot that. Lol he sure did. But that could be because Mary was in the process of leaving at the time? IDK...

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Marvin Gaye:

    Motown M-00014D1 A Funky Space Reincarnation
    A Funky Space Reincarnation (instrumental)

    Motown M9-791A3 Marvin Gaye Anthology

    Gladys Knight & the Pips:

    Chisa 60642 Various artists: In Loving Memory
    Side 1 - Gladys Knight & The Pips: How Great Thou Art

    Motown M-792S2 Gladys Knight & The Pips Anthology

    The Miracles:

    Gordy EP Jobete BMI DM04-0108 Side A DM04-0109 Side B
    Various Artists Recorded Live
    The Miracles- A Love She Can Count On

    Motown G1/G2 The Miracles featuring Bill "Smokey" Robinson Bad Girl/ I Love You
    Baby
    Also issued as Motown 2207

    I will concede that the criteria was never clearly defined. But Motown chose to release artists on labels as they saw fit, even on labels with which they were not usually associated.
    Interesting AFSR was released on Motown. I know all of his albums with the exceptions of the Mary Wells and Diana Ross duet albums were released on Tamla though.

    But yeah, I wonder why some artists had their singles on other Motown labels when they signed with one specific label in Motown.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Recorded on most Motown labels? Motown, MoWest and Tamla.
    Syreeta was also on Gordy as Rita Wright.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    IPG, independent producers group, which I think was a Mickey Stevenson project.
    I think it's 100% Motown in all but name..is musicians writers producers etc.
    Did you check the Motown 45 on Thelma posted above?
    IPG 1008 Jay Wiggins - Sad Girl (Smith & Wiggins)/ No Not Me (Wiggins)
    Published by IPG Music Inc. Distributed by Independent Producers Group Inc.

    Nothing on label to make connection to Motown or Mickey Stevenson.

  36. #36
    Stevie Wonder - Tamla for a majority of his career but...
    The Eivets Rednow album and Alfie single were released on Gordy
    The Hollywood Palace show - mostly DRATS was on Motown
    The Charlene duet "Used To Be" was also on Motown as was his final album under Berry Gordy, Characters.
    If we expand to production credits, The Spinners "It's A Shame" came out on V.I.P and a majority of his Syreeta work was on Mo-West.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    IPG 1008 Jay Wiggins - Sad Girl (Smith & Wiggins)/ No Not Me (Wiggins)
    Published by IPG Music Inc. Distributed by Independent Producers Group Inc.

    Nothing on label to make connection to Motown or Mickey Stevenson.
    Here's an old, old thread about it ...

    http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1163780899

  38. #38
    Stevie Wonder did a duet with Charlene!? Well I never!

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Stevie Wonder - Tamla for a majority of his career but...
    The Eivets Rednow album and Alfie single were released on Gordy
    The Hollywood Palace show - mostly DRATS was on Motown
    The Charlene duet "Used To Be" was also on Motown as was his final album under Berry Gordy, Characters.
    If we expand to production credits, The Spinners "It's A Shame" came out on V.I.P and a majority of his Syreeta work was on Mo-West.
    Actually I think only Syreeta's debut was on MoWest. SW Presents Syreeta was on Motown.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Here's an old, old thread about it ...

    http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1163780899
    Thanks for the info.

    I notice IPG 1008 isn't included on the IPG listing on that thread. I wonder what the other missing numbers are.

  41. #41
    I know its out of subject but if i make a Thread on my own I'll get no attention.....My question is...Is there anybody who knows there's some Flo Ballard video footage of 1973 to 75 ???

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    *DOH* I forgot that. Lol he sure did. But that could be because Mary was in the process of leaving at the time? IDK...
    What about POPS WE LOVE YOU.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty CanFly View Post
    I know its out of subject but if i make a Thread on my own I'll get no attention.....My question is...Is there anybody who knows there's some Flo Ballard video footage of 1973 to 75 ???
    Try the DRATS sub forum for all things Ross/Supremes.

  44. #44
    Marvin Gaye's "Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye" and "Vulnerable" were on Motown.

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    The Velvelettes were on Soul, VIP and some early label right? Not Motown
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  21.1 KB
    In fall 1963, Mickey Stevenson leased Motown Velvelettes' recordings to I.P.G. (Independent Producers' Group), in Miami and New York. But, that wasn't a Motown label, in any way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.