[REMOVE ADS]

The truth about Eddie Kendricks

Hey marv,good info on the great eddie and most of this stuff i already knew,but tell me something,from things i've read down through the years including interviews with eddie himself,he seems to be angry about one thing or the other during most of his time in the temps and i'm not saying who's right or wrong cause i wasn't there but eddies problems with-blue,otis,berry are well documented,he seems to have been the angriest temptation.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv,good info on the great eddie and most of this stuff i already knew,but tell me something,from things i've read down through the years including interviews with eddie himself,he seems to be angry about one thing or the other during most of his time in the temps and i'm not saying who's right or wrong cause i wasn't there but eddies problems with-blue,otis,berry are well documented,he seems to have been the angriest temptation.
    To make it short. Eddie knew he was talented, but felt disrespected within the group. He also did not like the way his friend Paul Williams was treated over the years. Eddie brought the style and Paul brought the moves, the showmanship to the group.

There were really 3 great lead singers and one great back up in the famous 5 line up. The 3 leads were always going to have fall outs one way or another. I miss these guys

Marv, thanks for posting. This was a great presentation, I learned things that I was unaware of.

Question: Does anyone know how to get a transcript of the comments in the video? I gather from some of the pronunciations that the speaker was from the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Marv, thanks for posting. This was a great presentation, I learned things that I was unaware of.

Question: Does anyone know how to get a transcript of the comments in the video? I gather from some of the pronunciations that the speaker was from the UK.
    You're very welcome. It was really good and quite accurate. Some of the content came from wikipedia. The other info., they had to dig for and do their research. I was at that show where Eddie invited David up onstage which began their new partnership.

Sometime in the late 1980's, Ruffin, Kendrick, & Edwards were playing on Rte 1, in Saugus, MA at a Chinese Restaurant Supper Club. Their names were on the Billboard, and I can remember riding by.
    I didn't have the money at the time to go to the show.

Now every time I drive by the place I think of that time in my life.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Sometime in the late 1980's, Ruffin, Kendrick, & Edwards were playing on Rte 1, in Saugus, MA at a Chinese Restaurant Supper Club. Their names were on the Billboard, and I can remember riding by.
    I didn't have the money at the time to go to the show.

Now every time I drive by the place I think of that time in my life.

edafan
    Edafan, I know the Kowloon's restaurant you are referring to. It is huge! I've eaten there before but never caught a show there. They have some type name entertainers that perform there. It is a family owned company.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Edafan, I know the Kowloon's restaurant you are referring to. It is huge! I've eaten there before but never caught a show there. They have some type name entertainers that perform there. It is a family owned company.
    Yes Kowloon: across Rt 1 was Prince Spaghetti house: I taught the Castraberti's who owed it from Burlington, and my nephew worked there in college and my brother worked at the Hilltop steak house.

very busy area. Imagine seeing Ruffin Kendrick & Edwards on their Billboard

edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 01-10-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Yes Kowloon: across Rt 1 was Prince Spaghetti house: I taught the Castraberti's who owed it from Burlington, and my nephew worked there in college and my brother worked at the Hilltop steak house.

very busy area. Imagine seeing Ruffin Kendrick & Edwards on their Billboard

edafan
    Mary Wilson has performed there too!

I can't believe I missed Eddie, David and Dennis at Kowloon.

I did see Martha Reeves & The Vandellas [[Rosalind and Annette) at Kowloon on April 14, 1989. I have their autographs on my small ticket stub. Annette and Rosalind each wrote Vandella after their first name.

I was able to see Eddie, David, Martha and Mary Wells at The Channel nightclub in Boston during their Dancing In the Street tour in the late 80s.

Thanks Marv for sharing this video! Eddie was always one of my true favourites, listening to his amazing vocal often filled my eyes with tears, I worried when he left The Temptations but history tells me I was wrong to have those worries, it was sad when I last met Eddie and interviewed him when he toured the UK close to the end with David Ruffin, to see an hero in my life looking unwell, but he still as ever on stage gave His Best!

Thinking twice about this it might have been Ruffin, Kendrick only

edafan

Eddie Kendricks, like Levi Stubbs was one of those rare artists where the producer did not have to tell him how to sing a song. All they had to do with Eddie was turn on the tape and sit back.

That's why he was called-one take eddie!

Eddie
    Levi
    Marvin

I think those folks were the only artists in Motown who would get a track after seconds of hearing it...

As Ali said about himself, Eddie was a baaaaaaaad man!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Eddie
    Levi
    Marvin

I think those folks were the only artists in Motown who would get a track after seconds of hearing it...

As Ali said about himself, Eddie was a baaaaaaaad man!
    He knew how to bring it!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He knew how to bring it!

This song and the entire People...Hold On album was stellar... Still is.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    This song and the entire People...Hold On album was stellar... Still is.

This single 45 was so popular at the time that it was one of the prizes at one of our Jr. High sock hops around Christmas 1972. Music holds so many memories. The other prize was Valerie Simpson's "Silly Wasn't I".

I have and will always call eddie's lead on the classic[the girl's alright with me]the great first tenor lead in soul music history!!!