[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes recordings in later 64

Was listening to Bit of Liverpool again and while not a fav, i do spin it from time to time. it is a little odd that 2 motown songs are included and 2 british covers [[i Saw Him Standing and Not Fade Away) were dropped. made me wonder if the 2 motown tunes were really recorded specifically for this set or were vaulted tracks and dropped onto it to get some motown royalties in the mix.

that also made me look through the recording work post WDOLG in 64. and it's surprisingly light. we all know that HDH and the Sups hit gold with Where. and that the girls were quickly rushed into the studio to record more tunes. you'd think there would be more unreleased tunes and experimentation. aside from Liverpool and the Beach songs, they only recorded 12 songs [[a couple were rerecorded a few times) between July and Dec.

July - they recorded Come see and Baby love

August - rerecorded BL and recorded Ooowee Baby [[which is a Smokey, not HDH production), It's all your fault and Put Yourself in my place

Oct - Liverpool sessions

Nov - recorded Everything is good about you, only time i'm happy and who could ever doubt my love and rerecorded Ooowee baby

Dec - recorded Back in my arms again, I'm in love again, any girl in love, surfer boy, beach ball and come into my palace

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Was listening to Bit of Liverpool again and while not a fav, i do spin it from time to time. it is a little odd that 2 motown songs are included and 2 british covers [[i Saw Him Standing and Not Fade Away) were dropped. made me wonder if the 2 motown tunes were really recorded specifically for this set or were vaulted tracks and dropped onto it to get some motown royalties in the mix.
    The Liverpool album isn't one of my faves, either, although I do like the harmonies the girls do on it. Re the inclusion of Motown songs, those had been recorded by some British groups so I don't think it was strange to throw them in. Their sound is similar to the other songs on the album so I doubt that they were vaulted tracks.
    Last edited by reese; 01-08-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Sup_Fan, "Everything Is Good About You" was recorded in October 1965 with The Sups dubbed in in December 1965.

thanks Dan. will updated my timelines. and the version of Put Yourself In My Place that was recorded in 64 is not the version the girls [[actually just Diana) recorded for A Go Go.

i thought the WDOLG lp was really good. I would have included Oowee baby or added it to More Hits. the only song I didn't care for was Your Kiss Of Fire.
    I rarely play Liverpool ever. I few good tracks, but I prefer Country and Cooke.
    I personally would have released theres A Place for Us.

The two Motown tracks “Do You Love Me” and “You’ve Really Got Hold On Me” were recorded with the intention of being put on the Liverpool album. Since both tracks were hits with British artists, Motown found a way to make some money off their own songs by including them on a British Invasion themed album. I’m rather surprised they didn’t do “Please Mr. Postman” since the Beatles scored traction with that one.