[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross' High School to be Torn Down

http://www.spinner.com/2011/02/10/de.../?ncid=webmail

With a rundown Detroit high school set for a date with a wrecking ball, members of a lengthy list of prominent alumni are trying to save it.

The old Cass Technical High School building closed six years ago when its replacement opened next door. Over the years the now-abandoned building housed students including Diana Ross, Jack White and a veritable who's-who list of jazz musicians, including Alice Coltrane, Ron Carter, Kenny Burrell, Paul Chambers, Geri Allen, Ali Jackson, Billy Mitchell and Donald Byrd. Other famous Cass alumni include actors Lily Tomlin, David Allen Grier, Della Reese and Ellen Burstyn.

FilmMagic
    The school system, citing concerns over safety -- the building has been victim to regular trespassing and vandalizing since it closed -- plans to demolish it. Opponents say it's an easy way out of dealing with a historic building that could be converted to any number of uses, including an arts center, artist lofts or high-density housing.

According to Steve Wasko, a spokesperson for the Detroit school district, the fight to save the school is over -- because it never began in the first place.

"We've heard some spectacular ideas for how to reuse the old structure, but they've come with zero funding," he tells Spinner, calling the recent wave of nostalgia "nothing other than a PR stunt." He adds, "Their energy is misdirected and a little too late. If there was a seriousness in wanting to redevelop that building, that should have occurred much earlier."

In an interview with NPR, White credited Cass Technical High School for his musical growth and said it the academic atmosphere was second to none.

"I played marimba on one of my albums, and I learned how to play marimba in a class at that school," White said, referring to the White Stripes' 2005 album 'Get Behind Me Satan.' "Going to school there at age 14 was like all of sudden you were going to Harvard or something. It seemed like you were going to college."

While several alumni have spoken out against the demolition, it appears the fight to save Cass is currently rooted more in nostalgia than action. Workers are already gutting the building, and opponents don't have the money -- estimated at around $150 million -- to purchase or renovate the property.
    Last edited by loveblind; 02-19-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Wow, after driving past that castle for most of my life, it's finally coming down huh? Well, everything must change I guess. The new school is just right behind it.

Hmm well if people are petitioning to keep it why didn't they do anything about it when it was vandalized? Don't make sense to keep it and leave it the way it is if you're not going to do anything anymore. That's unfortunate to say but if that's how it has to be...

I was reading up on this.How long has this school been in this condition..And why hvent they try to fix it up already

topdiva1 Guest
    Would have made great condos.

And life goes on...

Maybe they should have saved my old school because Alice Cooper went there for a year.

I went to school there in the ninth grade. It was quite a place.

miss_lish Guest
    Nice ralpht! Cass Tech is somewhat mythical to Motown historians. Any stories you'd care to share?

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I went to school there in the ninth grade. It was quite a place.
    What use could this building have been put to, for today's times? I am sure that it could have helped mark and promote the return of a once great city. It seems a total shame that it could not be saved.

Miss Lish,
    Back when I attended Cass, I thought I wanted to be an aeronautical engineer. I was in a program that was called "Auto-Aero".
    It was interesting, but it was about this time that I was beginning to realize how much music governed my life. That plus I got tired of riding a bus one hour to get to school and an hour to get home. That got old quickly, and I transfered to Henry Ford High in the tenth grade.

miss_lish Guest
    Thanks, Ralph.

I find the story of Cass Tech to be compelling. It was one of, if not the first high school, that was integrated and without a court order if I have my facts straight. Also, students had to maintain a certain GPA to attend there. That juxtaposed against a city where African Americans fled the South in search of better opportunities, all of the famous alumni, Motown, and the automobile industry, would make for an interesting book and or film about a slice of Americana that no longer exists. In many ways Detroit was ahead of the curve with regard to the Civil Rights Movement of the Sixties. I think it is a story that should be told.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    Thanks, Ralph.

I find the story of Cass Tech to be compelling. It was one of, if not the first high school, that was integrated and without a court order if I have my facts straight. Also, students had to maintain a certain GPA to attend there. That juxtaposed against a city where African Americans fled the South in search of better opportunities, all of the famous alumni, Motown, and the automobile industry, would make for an interesting book and or film about a slice of Americana that no longer exists. In many ways Detroit was ahead of the curve with regard to the Civil Rights Movement of the Sixties. I think it is a story that should be told.
    You must be kidding? Why do you think we had the Great Riots of 1967? GeeeZ!

miss_lish Guest
    What part did I get wrong, Marv2?

Maybe diana should stand in front of the wrecking ball and sing-stop in the name of love!!

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You must be kidding? Why do you think we had the Great Riots of 1967? GeeeZ!

I'll wait..........

Miss Lish,
    I'm guessing what Marv is getting at is, if Detroit was so ahead of any curve there never would have been the riots of '67. He makes a good point, but I think Cass Tech did it's share to bring young people of varying backgrounds together to find mutual understanding and friendship. It seemed to work that way for me, anyway.

Sorry if I spoke out of line for you, Marv, but I think I'm reading you correctly.

miss_lish Guest
    That was my point exactly Ralph. What I should have said was that specifically with regard to Cass Tech, Detroit was ahead of the curve; Detroit was ahead of the curve with regard to employment and housing issues, if I have my facts right. This is why so many blacks from the South moved there. In these regards, Detroit was ahead of the curve.

I'm not from there, and therefore am no expert, which I freely admitted. I don't find Marv2's condescending approach to discussing this topic to be appropriate.

There has been a LOT of publicity in the U.K regarding the global recession etc, and there has been quite a few T.V. news and magazine articles about Detroit. How a Powerhouse city of U.S. industry could be allowed to die the way it has. What, I think shocked myself, and a lot of the British viewers, readers, was the sight of all those wonderful buildings,homes, and so forth, just either being demolished, or torched, or just abandend to the elements. In the U.K., many of these buildings would be listed as historically valuable, and no wrecking ball would be allowed anywhere near them. Why is the U.S so intent on NOT preserving its history? Can someone please explain?..Paulo xxxx

WOW, Cass was a site to behold back in the day but, I don't find it unbelievable that it is coming down. $150 million to restore and get back in working condition ? Now I find that dollar amount a little short.

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    There has been a LOT of publicity in the U.K regarding the global recession etc, and there has been quite a few T.V. news and magazine articles about Detroit. How a Powerhouse city of U.S. industry could be allowed to die the way it has. What, I think shocked myself, and a lot of the British viewers, readers, was the sight of all those wonderful buildings,homes, and so forth, just either being demolished, or torched, or just abandend to the elements. In the U.K., many of these buildings would be listed as historically valuable, and no wrecking ball would be allowed anywhere near them. Why is the U.S so intent on NOT preserving its history? Can someone please explain?..Paulo xxxx
    It's something that started here in the late 60's , early 70's called "Urban Renewal".........

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Miss Lish,
    I'm guessing what Marv is getting at is, if Detroit was so ahead of any curve there never would have been the riots of '67. He makes a good point, but I think Cass Tech did it's share to bring young people of varying backgrounds together to find mutual understanding and friendship. It seemed to work that way for me, anyway.

Sorry if I spoke out of line for you, Marv, but I think I'm reading you correctly.

Thanks Ralph you did it perfectly.......!

miss_lish Guest
    Why is Marv2 always so angry?

topdiva1 Guest
    Staying on topic

- I have wondered why so many of the great buildings in Detroit - were left to ruins and abandonment. I understand, somewhat the economic times of the city, but couldn't these structures have been at least boarded up and protected until a use and developer could be found.

Detroit needs Donald Trump perhaps.

What I do not understand is that the Detroit Public Schools [[DPS) were keeping Cass Tech up, windows were intact, structure was sound, and then all of a sudden, ALL of the windows were broken seemingly at once, something very odd to me. I suspect that the wanted the windows broken and the school vandalized so that they could tear it down. I can tell you a lot of stories about Cass; I knew the building frontwards and backwards, but I wasn't around when Diana Ross or Lily Tomlin attended.
    About Detroit being ahead of the racial curve - I guess in some aspects yes, as you could come to Detroit in the 20's, 30's and 40's and get a "better" job than you could down south, although you had to live in certain areas [[Black Bottom, east side, projects) and you could not move to areas such as NorthWest Detroit. Berry Gordy wanted to move into the Palmer Woods/Sherwood Forest area in the early sixties and was redlined...but on the other hand, he did move on West Outer Drive, in an area that had just recently opened up to minorities. I guess it is what part of the socialeconomic strata you are talking about to see if Detroit was ahead of the racial curve, in the middle of the pack, or lagged behind.

topdiva1 Guest
    ^^^^^^^ Great information - Thanks

I'd heard a story about Cass Tech on NPR last year it was very interesting. Maybe a film student or director could make a documentary on Cass Tech. It was the top high school in Detroit and one of the top in the country in the last century. With it's vast list of alumni it would make one hell of a documentary special on PBS or hey even for Oscar consideration if it's done right.

Like I said earlier..WHY would anyone want to destroy their past, their history, their legacy?

I went by there not too long ago. It would be sad if they brought this building down. People talk bad about Detroit but I found the architecture, history and people so warm and wonderful. We must save Detroit.

Being a huge history buff, I hate to see old historic buildings fall into neglect and despair, especially when they have a significant history to them. Here in Cleveland, they are building a Medical Mart and Convention center which will stand next to the current Cleveland Public Auditorium and Convention Center which dates back to the early 1920s. The building has fallen into disrepair which is a shame because both the Music Hall and Public Auditorium have such a history to them. I know Public Auditorium has held a number of Democratic & Republican National Conventions back in the 20's and 30's as well as tons of concerts [[the Beatles, Queen, David Bowie), rallies, games, etc. Bill Cosby's live album "To My Brother Russell, Whom I Slept With" was recorded at the Public Auditorium. Recently it held the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductions a couple years ago, but they had to do a lot of paint jobs to get it to look presentable. The stage at Public Auditorium backs right up to the Music Hall which is more a traditional theatre seating. I know the Rolling Stones played in the Music Hall, Diana Ross & the Supremes had a concert there back in 1968, the Cleveland Orchestra used to play there, etc. So many historic events took place and now the roof is leaking, paint is peeling off the walls, molding falling off the walls and ceiling. Ever since Quicken & Loans Arena [[formerly the Gund Arena) and Cleveland Convocation Center opened up, the Cleveland Public Auditorium & Music Hall are never used. It's a real shame to see something that has so much character and historic importance being neglected. It’s the perfect venue for concerts to be performed in again. I'm not sure if they plan on doing any preservation on the building when they build/finish the Medical Mart, but it is something that really needs to be address and breathed new life into.

My old high school [[built in 1913) was slated for closing and demolition a few years ago. The alumni raised so much hell over it that it has not only been spared, but is also receiving $41 million in totally renovations. At it's peak in the 70's it had an average enrollment of 2,100 students. In recent years that had fallen 600-700!

The one structure I hated to see demolished in Detroit was Tiger Stadium! Talk about history! humpf!

topdiva1 Guest
    Why does Detroit continue to have the "tear it on down" mentality, when perhaps private investors can be helpful to saving these historic structures.

What would be the attraction for private investors to invest? A moral satisfaction or a monetary gain?

It's just been announced that China is to put in a mobile telephone network that means Londoners can use their mobiles on the train system. The headlines say..its at no cost to the UK taxpayer. I thought to myself.....how kind of them....until I read the small print about the rental charges they will be imposing.

We have ancient churches going back 100's of years in the UK but it's usually down to the local people to do the fund raising to keep these buildings from being demolished. It's very sad but that's how it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Why does Detroit continue to have the "tear it on down" mentality, when perhaps private investors can be helpful to saving these historic structures.
    If you stood still long enough, they'll tear you down too! LOL! Just joking.

Detroit is not alone in this type of "civic mentality" or public policy. There are cities such as Toledo less than hour south and other major urban areas that tear down old,historic buildings all the time. Many times demolition is scheduled whether the building has fallen into a state of severe disrepair or not. Buildings in many cities are torn down even if the land is not readily needed or desired. I've learned when it comes to older public schools, they tear them down because the Boards of Education can not afford to maintain them and the State Government will offer financial assistance towards the cost of demolition!

I assume most U.S. citizens regard the local KFC as historical, as it has been there for, AT LEAST, 10 years. I guess that McDonalds next door must be AT LEAST 11 years old. We cannot get rid of these. BUT that old 100 year old house across the street? Well, we DO need another 100 car parking lot. So lets demolish it to accomodate all the new Japanese /Korean/ German cars that will flood the area to get another wholesome KFC / McDonalds /Wendys...whatever...PEOPLE IN NORTH AFRICA AND THE MIDDLE EAST ARE DEMANDING CHANGE...You are just..Oh whatever?Do I have to drive another 2 miles to get a hot dog?

topdiva1 Guest
    Does anyone know - what will be built on the old Cass High School site?

Topdiva1; when they first proposed to tear Cass Tech down, they were going to relocate the football/athletic field to the empty space. The football field that is there is not regulation, I believe it is 98 yards long with goalposts only 5 -7 yards from the end zone line. Now, I believe they are going to put a parking lot in the space of the old Cass Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Does anyone know - what will be built on the old Cass High School site?

Most likely nothing. They do not need the land. The new Cass Tech High School sits almost directly behind the old one. The old one sits right on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    most likely nothing. They do not need the land. The new cass tech high school sits almost directly behind the old one. The old one sits right on the highway.
    wait a high school minute here,hold the hooch...there's a new cass tech right behind the old one and folks are crying about it being torn down????!!!!?????.....get outta here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    wait a high school minute here,hold the hooch...there's a new cass tech right behind the old one and folks are crying about it being torn down????!!!!?????.....get outta here!!!
    No stuff huh? LOL!!!!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Topdiva1; when they first proposed to tear Cass Tech down, they were going to relocate the football/athletic field to the empty space. The football field that is there is not regulation, I believe it is 98 yards long with goalposts only 5 -7 yards from the end zone line. Now, I believe they are going to put a parking lot in the space of the old Cass Tech.

Wow - thanks - it is still a shame - it is an interesting looking building that maybe could of served in another way.