[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    By 1972 it was clear that The Supremes had slipped in popularity a lot. Their albums were not important new releases, their gigs were way lower in size and price and the turmoil in the group made DR&TS look like a love-in. There’s no reason to point Fingers - it was over. Lynda brought a new vivacity to the group - but it was ANOTHER change and the one that, I think, did them in. When Mary Wilson was the only recognizable Supreme on an album, the general population had no interest in going to a concert of a group with no giant hits. At the time, I was getting to know them personally, so as great as that was, it also burst my bubble about the group and show business. Jean was always nice to me, but she was not always nice to Mary and Mary was trying so hard to get along. I don’t think that showed on TV or on-stage, but only die-hards we’re still into the group. They did no concerts anymore as headliners in arenas or auditoriums that I knew of. Everything was split bills or they opened. They still got some club dates as the headliners, but those venues were deteriorating the pay scale. It was over then. A new, big something was needed but never came. They needed Lady Marmalade- not Floy Joy.

That’s not great to hear Jean didn’t treat Mary well; it shows a different side of Mary

Floy Joy was fine but pretty lightweight; it had good points but it was clear it was no Where Did Our Love Go or Stop in the Name of Love

i liked FJ , and thought it was good , fun. but the hits were fewer n fewer and the tv appearances the same.
    I think Jean and Mary had issues for a while. not exactly sure why, but I think it was professional.

I don't think that the wigs or gowns had anything to do with it. it didn't bother Dianas career. the bottom line was NO HITS. they needed hits and to update the show. NO Your nobody till somebody loves u. wow. cant believe Motown had them still doing that routine.

We should have a separate thread dealing with the post-Jean 'Supremes' flame-out. Lots of us have cut-and-pasted oft-repeated thoughts, so who am I to veer? Apres les Jean, simply stated: nobody in the record-buying public shave a git. Nobody recognized any of the 'Supremes' as Supremes - they were three random, middle-aged ladies flailin' & wailin'. They were yodelin' as if their lives depended on it, but that style was not what the record buying public wanted. Except for 15 or so posters who ended up here.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 01-16-2019 at 08:50 PM.

^oh lawd lol i'd love to start a thread and INTELLIGENTLY discuss our theories for the problems with the group in the mid and later 70s. but seems like that always turns into some sort of heated argument

i think its a bit common sense, mary was the only original left, she was used to being a supremes and how things were. when the other ladies joined and wanted to express themselves and update the show, she was unwilling to bend and therefore problems began and continued. Cindy survived mostly by just going along with things. the other ladies did not have the loyality to the name that Mary had. I am sure there were times when MW was right but other times when she was not.
    but once again how many Temptations has there been???? why did some leave??
    it seems drama stays with the ladies. to bad there wasn't a way to work things out as the JMC line up was very good

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    By 1972 it was clear that The Supremes had slipped in popularity a lot. Their albums were not important new releases, their gigs were way lower in size and price and the turmoil in the group made DR&TS look like a love-in. There’s no reason to point Fingers - it was over. Lynda brought a new vivacity to the group - but it was ANOTHER change and the one that, I think, did them in. When Mary Wilson was the only recognizable Supreme on an album, the general population had no interest in going to a concert of a group with no giant hits. At the time, I was getting to know them personally, so as great as that was, it also burst my bubble about the group and show business. Jean was always nice to me, but she was not always nice to Mary and Mary was trying so hard to get along. I don’t think that showed on TV or on-stage, but only die-hards we’re still into the group. They did no concerts anymore as headliners in arenas or auditoriums that I knew of. Everything was split bills or they opened. They still got some club dates as the headliners, but those venues were deteriorating the pay scale. It was over then. A new, big something was needed but never came. They needed Lady Marmalade- not Floy Joy.
    And that's why we need discussion like this because going on assumptions doesn't help. I can imagine how taxing it was on Mary to keep a group afloat and it's tougher when people don't get along with you. Which is a shame because Jean brought something to that group. If they were more united, they would've kicked everyone's a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i think its a bit common sense, mary was the only original left, she was used to being a supremes and how things were. when the other ladies joined and wanted to express themselves and update the show, she was unwilling to bend and therefore problems began and continued. Cindy survived mostly by just going along with things. the other ladies did not have the loyality to the name that Mary had. I am sure there were times when MW was right but other times when she was not.
    but once again how many Temptations has there been???? why did some leave??
    it seems drama stays with the ladies. to bad there wasn't a way to work things out as the JMC line up was very good
    I believe the difference with the Temptations is that the group had more than one lead singer from the beginning and the public at large did not specifically identify with one personality in the way that they did with Diana. Additionally 5 members as opposed to 3 made changes in line-up less visible.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    The video was already posted

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    The video was already posted
    Sorry if it has already been posted. I looked on this thread but could not find this rendition. You graciously gave us another fine performance at post #84.

The Supremes Archives where this was just posted yesterday gives this description:

This is cleaned up version with the right speed and pitch. The girls always did a great job with this song, and in my honest opinion the JML line-up did the best and clearest harmonies The Supremes ever had!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    You're mixing regions. Without and Reach were only international releases. they were not in the US. the singles RELEASED on the US were

Automatically Sunshine - 4/11/72
    YWSSL - 7/11/72
    I Guess - Oct 72 [[not sure why no sources can list the date of the month - anyone??)

internationally the release schedule was:
    Floy Joy - Feb 72
    Without - May 72
    Auto - June 72
    Reach - Nov 72
    YWSSL - Nov 72

Internationally, I Guess wasn't released until Jan 74. As for FJ in the states, yes i agree that you have a point that it's charting activity was in 72 and not 71. And the girls promoted it on Merv in Jan 72. but technically, the single was released on 12/1. there certainly were other singles that started to chart within weeks or even days of release. FJ obviously took a little time to warm up. but it was a 71 release.
    Uh excuse me, but I didn't say sh*t about regions, international, nation, domestic or anything like that. YOU DID! I said that they had 6 releases in 1972. Maybe I should have been clearer and said on the Planet Earth, that way you would not have felt the need to put words in my mouth!

Sorry if it has already been posted. I looked on this thread but could not find this rendition. You graciously gave us another fine performance at post #84.

The Supremes Archives where this was just posted yesterday gives this description:

This is cleaned up version with the right speed and pitch. The girls always did a great job with this song, and in my honest opinion the JML line-up did the best and clearest harmonies The Supremes ever had!
    Thank you for this Luckyluckyme. They sound great here!

Ive never heard this one before and it’s exquisite! THIS should have been the single. They sing like angels here and Jean is sublime. THANK YOU!

PO

both are from the same show only difference is He slowed it down ��

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Uh excuse me, but I didn't say sh*t about regions, international, nation, domestic or anything like that. YOU DID! I said that they had 6 releases in 1972. Maybe I should have been clearer and said on the Planet Earth, that way you would not have felt the need to put words in my mouth!
    Whatever Marv - i can think of something else to put in your mouth beside words

Attachment 14963

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Whatever Marv - i can think of something else to put in your mouth beside words

Attachment 14963
    Back at you!

Yo kids give it a rest

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Yo kids give it a rest
    Thank you! Come on people...

Yeah kids calm down! Was that really Joan Rivers in that photo? Wow, I never remember her looking like that!

yeah it's a fav pic of mine of joan lol. originally i found it online after she passed and someone had written "I can still see your ugly dresses from hell you whores!!" nearly died laughing when i ran across it lol

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

is what I have to add