[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes 'More Hits' is wonderful!

I really wasn't at all confident in buying this collection, as I didn't 'know' many of the tracks. However, as I have been exploring the expanded editions and I found it relatively reasonably priced I thought I might as well. Oh my, I am glad that I did! It's really gorgeous. A wonderful effervescent, upbeat and enthralling selection. I love it! I wonder which other releases have similarly surprised other people?

I liked Where did our live go ..cool....I hear a symphony n the new Sing HDH

Quote Originally Posted by Worntorndress View Post
    I really wasn't at all confident in buying this collection, as I didn't 'know' many of the tracks. However, as I have been exploring the expanded editions and I found it relatively reasonably priced I thought I might as well. Oh my, I am glad that I did! It's really gorgeous. A wonderful effervescent, upbeat and enthralling selection. I love it! I wonder which other releases have similarly surprised other people?
    I picked up the Deluxe Edition of The Supremes A' Go-Go when it came out last year. It was the first time I bought an expanded edition of a CD I didn't hear before [[aside from the two classic singles from it). Didn't think that I would care for it since it was mostly remakes of other songs from the period [[and largely recorded in L.A. without The Funk Bros.) but after playing the album a few times, it won me over. And the extended remix of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" is the highlight of the unreleased songs & alternate takes on disc 2.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 01-07-2019 at 05:52 AM.

More Hits was my favorite Supremes album. So I knew I would love the Expanded Edition. I could hardly wait for it and was so excited for the expanded release. I love it..

I really love the "There's a Place for Us" collection, as I'm always fond of the standards and "pseudo-standards" [[like "For Once in My Life," which was written to sound like a standard and eventually became one on its own).

I also really love the "Meet the Supremes" collection. Even though the initial album seldom if ever got played by me, I loved going back and hearing how the group started and of course the mastering was much, much improved over the old LP. I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

After that, definitely the "A Go Go" collection because to me, the album had a thin, tinny quality to it and the remaster was just fabulous and you could really hear that Diane could sing with soul when she wanted to; it just wasn't her "go to" place.

I know its out of subject but if i make a Thread on my own I'll get no attention.....My question is...Is there anybody who knows there's some Flo Ballard video footage of 1973 to 75 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Marty CanFly View Post
    I know its out of subject but if i make a Thread on my own I'll get no attention.....My question is...Is there anybody who knows there's some Flo Ballard video footage of 1973 to 75 ???
    With all due respect, you should really let your standalone thread be your inquiry. This is the ninth time I’ve seen this question all over the Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty CanFly View Post
    Quick answer to your question...No

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    With all due respect, you should really let your standalone thread be your inquiry. This is the ninth time I’ve seen this question all over the Forum.
    I agree. This is annoying. If no one is answering your stand alone thread. Then they probably don't have any information for you.

MORE HITS is better. No good awful standards. They just can't do standards. Sounds all pop and puny. MORE HITS had real stompers like MOTHER DEAR, NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES, IM SO GLAD HEARTACHES DON'T LAST ALWAYS, WHO COULD EVER DOUBT MY LOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    MORE HITS is better. No good awful standards. They just can't do standards. Sounds all pop and puny. MORE HITS had real stompers like MOTHER DEAR, NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES, IM SO GLAD HEARTACHES DON'T LAST ALWAYS, WHO COULD EVER DOUBT MY LOVE.
    YIKES! You REALLY don't like The Supremes doing standards...at all.

"More Hits" is really a fantastic album. One of the few where every song is an original and not another cover. The structure and chord changes on many of the tunes are quite complex and dramatic in some instances. H-D-H had a way of doing these tunes where you would get this little counter melody going on within the song. "Honey Boy", "I'm In Love Again" and "The Only Time I'm Happy" are great examples of that.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 01-28-2019 at 04:07 AM.

My two favs of the expanded editions are "Meet" and "Where". "More Hits", "Symphony", and "A Go Go" are all great for one reason or another [[I never did catch the Copa expanded and I have yet to get HDH). But there's something about the cuts recorded during the group's early period that I'm just crazy about. I think it's because you really get to hear their raw talent. By the time of More Hits, the Supremes were polished and packaged. But before that, they were just three [[sometimes four) young ladies who just had natural talent. And I love listening to it.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post

"More Hits" is really a fantastic album. One of the few where every song is an original and not another cover. The structure and chord changes on many of the tunes are quite complex and dramatic in some instances. H-D-H had a way of doing these tunes where you would get this little counter melody going on within the song. "Honey Boy", "I'm In Love Again" and "The Only Time I'm Happy" are great examples of that.
    The ONLY group that could truly DO standards are the Four Tops. Not even the Temptations, Marvin Gaye or any other could. They had good individual versions but as a whole album I can only stomach the Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post

In my opinion, "More Hits" captured ideally what the Supremes were about at that time: three beautiful girls beginning to delve into the world with a major force. I agree with you, Waiting, that the structure of these songs were the beginnings of HDH becoming more complex in the way that they put the chords together to make a complex sound so ear friendly. Each song had a very catchy phrase in it. With all that said, there's a certain innocence and simplicity to the way the words, vocals, and backing instrumentals merge. Being that today [[January 29) is James Jamerson's birthday, I was reflecting on when his creative bass lines begin to be evident in the Motown recordings. In my opinion, if he is indeed doing bass on these sessions, it is more subdued [[not drawing one's attention to the bass line) rather than very predominant. Before some of y'all start screaming "foul", I am not throwing shade at him and his talent, but to demonstrate, in my opinion, that at this particular time, he was not playing lines that would make one say, "listen to that bass." Later on, his bass lines on many of the Motown recordings became just as memorable as the vocals.
    Last edited by jobucats; 01-29-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    In my opinion, "More Hits" captured ideally what the Supremes were about at that time: three beautiful girls beginning to delve into the world with a major force. I agree with you, Waiting, that the structure of these songs were the beginnings of HDH become more complex in the way that they put the chords together to make a complex sound so ear friendly. Each song had a very catchy phrase in it. With all that said, there's a certain innocence and simplicity to the way the words, vocals, and backing instrumentals merge. Being that today [[January 29) is James Jamerson's birthday, I was reflecting on when his creative bass lines begin to be evident in the Motown recordings. In my opinion, if he is indeed doing bass on these sessions, it is more subdued [[not drawing one's attention to the bass line) rather than very predominant. Before some of y'all start screaming "foul", I am not throwing shade at him and his talent, but to demonstrate, in my opinion, that at this particular time, he was not playing lines that would make one say, "listen to that bass." Later on, his bass lines on many of the Motown recordings became just as memorable as the vocals.
    I know EXACTLY what you're saying about James' bass lines on these songs in particular as well as other sessions from this time frame. I noticed it at 14 when I was listening. I was trying to learn to play the bass then, and it caught my ear on a lot of the H-D-H material from around '64, '65, James would play very direct lines, often just a single note within each bar. "Whisper You Love Me", "Honey Boy", "I'm In Love Again", pretty much the entire album, James will play it very straight, just that repetitive, single note phrase. I really believe that was all down to H-D-H specifically wanting it that way as they had a very definite blueprint of the sound they wanted.

If you listen to the alternate, extended version of "Whisper You Love Me" on the expanded set of "More Hits", right at the end, James tosses in a wicked 4-note run, very similar to the bouncy style he played on Mary Wells' "My Guy." I heard that and it was like being electrocuted. Then I thought, for certain, H-D-H wanted James to keep his style restrained on these tunes. In a way, I can understand it as those repetitive, single notes are almost hypnotic and are yet another type of "hook" within the songs.

And if anyone needs proof that James had "IT" early on, listen to his bass line on Hattie Littles' "Love, Trouble, Heartaches And Misery." oh my...

I know its out of subject but if i make a Thread on my own I'll get no attention lightning link.My question is there anybody who knows there's some Flo Ballard video footage of 1973 to 75 ???

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    The ONLY group that could truly DO standards are the Four Tops. Not even the Temptations, Marvin Gaye or any other could. They had good individual versions but as a whole album I can only stomach the Tops.
    I agree with that 100%.