[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Four Tops 65th Anniversary

They have Motown beat by 5 years. We won't get nothing. These anniversaries are meaningless. The rock groups get everything. Too depressing living in this world of constant disappointment.

Sadly, it seems like many of the people that populate these forums don’t buy what is released and that limits what becomes available

The Four Tops are my favourite Motown male group. Publicly they all remained gentle.en throughout and it would be hard to beat them for their friendship and longevity. There have been Anniversary sets in the past on them and I think Motown have done them proud in that regard. Aside from issuing a boxed set of all their Motown albums [[in mini LP format) I'm not sure there's any mileage in doing anything else that wouldn't simply be a rehash of what has already been put out. What else would it be that people want?

Whilst the Four Tops might not have the sales potential of expanded releases of all of The Supremes' albums, I wonder if expanded Still Waters, Reach Out and Second Album would be viable for their 65th?
    Last edited by rovereab; 01-06-2019 at 06:31 PM.

I would love to see an expanded series roll-out but sadly it ain't gonna happen. '65' is not a 'noted' anniversary [[to outsiders it just makes the Tops seem old) and as mysterysinger has said there have been some nice compilations of the Tops. I recommend we simply remember the Tops as the volcanic presence they were and be happy we were there to witness gods walking the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I would love to see an expanded series roll-out but sadly it ain't gonna happen. '65' is not a 'noted' anniversary [[to outsiders it just makes the Tops seem old) and as mysterysinger has said there have been some nice compilations of the Tops. I recommend we simply remember the Tops as the volcanic presence they were and be happy we were there to witness gods walking the earth.
    Amen to that! While it would be great to have expanded editions of the Four Tops albums on Motown, I really don't think UMe will do that at this time. But we will remember The Four Tops at their best and celebrate their work!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Well said my friend, well said. I'm of the same mindset. Although I can certainly understand the frustration of some people. It's very justified. But frustration doesn't do anyone any good.

Just another thought, Spectrum have issued 5 album mini lp style sets on The Temptations, Jackson 5 and Motown Chartbusters with UK Tamla Motown logos on the sleeves. No remixing though but I'd love a set of Tops done this way - to include Four Tops, On Top, Soul Spin, Yesterdays Dreams and Now.

I am happy that I bought all of the original vinyl albums and a few choice cd's like the Christmas album. I am happy with all the memories of them in concert and the great privilege to meet and get to know them as people.

I treasure my box set Fourever, the 50th Anniversary Anthology and the 50th Anniversary Anthology the Singles Collection/1964-1972 [[ right now 36 $ at Amazon US!)

It would be good to get expanded editions, but I can't see it happening. I'd say I am happy with having all of the Tops albums and enjoying their music whenever I want to.

I can also relate to the overabundance of rock music reissues and the like. Practically all of the vinyl in my local CD store is rock, and all of the specially made shirts are rock or, *gulp*, metal.

We'll be need more unreleased albums released like the HOT NIGHTS, 1984 sessions, the songs in the mid 90s with the 2000 Norman Whitfield sessions. There's still there. At least we know there's something still waiting for us. Let's stop releasing ridiculous compilitions with the SAME OLD SONGS.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    We'll be need more unreleased albums released like the HOT NIGHTS, 1984 sessions, the songs in the mid 90s with the 2000 Norman Whitfield sessions. There's still there. At least we know there's something still waiting for us. Let's stop releasing ridiculous compilitions with the SAME OLD SONGS.
    Just listening to "Back Where We Belong" on vinyl. This is a superb album with the whole of side one written and produced by HDH. This deserves a CD release.

I would love to see all of those released as well ftbf.

The Whitfield sessions should have been released! how close here in the UK we got with negotiations!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    The Whitfield sessions should have been released! how close here in the UK we got with negotiations!
    Wow really?