[REMOVE ADS]

'I Hear A Symphony - expanded' is the booklet available digitally?

Forgive me, I'm so new to this collecting area - but been a casual fan for years! I'm fast appreciating the group more and more, discovering the depth of their material.

My question is, I've read some of the expanded editions had booklets available digitally, but I can't find this one. My dilemma is my NEW 'IHAS' cd has arrived, but it's shrink-wrapped and now I wonder if I should open it or preserve it - it goes against my instinct to keep it unopened because it was made to be enjoyed! But my husband is saying, "No... It will be worth more money if you don't open it....!". I'm not intending on selling it though, but it's really unusual for him to be so cautious so perhaps he's seen more value in not opening it where I value the music more? Anyway, I could download it and look at the booklet digitally [[could have done that anyway and not bought it in the first place and saved £99!).

Would any other collectors open a shrink-wrapped 'IHAS' bought for £99? Or do people tend to hoard and buy duplicates/download?

Thanks for your wisdom, all!

For the most part, I've never bought multiples because #1, I buy way too much physical music already as it is and I would run out of room, and #2 I take good care of my music collection, especially the Supremes/Ross stuff, and #3 I never intend to sell any of it. I get that it is more valuable if you keep it sealed, but if you only have one copy, I would open it and enjoy it. As you said, you're never intending to sell it. I understand your feelings though...trust me, I've been there. The collecting world feeds into those of us with OCD tendencies and we just feed off of each other lol. I say go for it and open it...just don't leave it sitting around where it can get damaged. You can always buy those plastic re-sealable CD bags to store it in. Little zip-lock baggies even work. That's what I've done with my Supremes expanded editions and box sets [[OCD)!! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    For the most part, I've never bought multiples because #1, I buy way too much physical music already as it is and I would run out of room, and #2 I take good care of my music collection, especially the Supremes/Ross stuff, and #3 I never intend to sell any of it. I get that it is more valuable if you keep it sealed, but if you only have one copy, I would open it and enjoy it. As you said, you're never intending to sell it. I understand your feelings though...trust me, I've been there. The collecting world feeds into those of us with OCD tendencies and we just feed off of each other lol. I say go for it and open it...just don't leave it sitting around where it can get damaged. You can always buy those plastic re-sealable CD bags to store it in. Little zip-lock baggies even work. That's what I've done with my Supremes expanded editions and box sets [[OCD)!! Lol.
    Carlo you're so right! I think collectors like me definitely get quite obsessive about their collections, keeping them pristine and so on. My other thought is if I buy multiples of limited editions, then that's less CDs available for other fans like ourselves to enjoy. It would be better to spend the money on something else I don't already have I guess!

Right on, worntorndress! I suppose another part of my reasons for not buying multiples at the time they were released is due to the fact that I was a very young fan in 2004...I may have been 16?? I had limited money to spend, and buying an imported limited edition 2 CD set of Where Did Our Love Go was already a bit much as it was, let alone buying two of them. I still get those feelings though where I feel like I need to go back and get second sealed copies of everything, because I read those posts from fans of other artists that say, "Oh I have three sealed copies of each title! Here's a photo of the entire collection of CD digipacks in my glass cabinet!" And then it sets off my internal "I need to do this" alarms. Some of it really feeds into the OCD tendencies [[a lot of us super fans have different degrees of it) and some of it feeds into our human nature to want to make an identity for ourselves, such as being a fan of something, and then we feel that we need to preserve that identity at all costs....or else we think on a deeper level, 'what are we in the eyes of others?' "God forbid I don't have three sealed copies of the same CD, otherwise I'll feel like I'm worthless!!" [[Sarcasm). And yes, as silly as that sounds, that's what fuels the psychology behind the obsessive collecting frenzy amongst us fans...and I can say that because I've lived it and overspent over many years, and it never truly feels like it's enough. It's not a good place to be in because the joy is removed from collecting and it just becomes a self destructive OCD mess.

So yeah, do whatever makes you most happy. I say enjoy it, my friend!

It's too bad that Universal made these releases so severely limited in the first place!

that was a very good post Carlo.
    Some of it rang true for me today as I sold my truck of twenty years and as I watched it drive down the road I felt a part of my identity driving away. I've always been the guy in the little red truck.

.... as far as the collecting aspect, with my passion for collecting vinyl, I was surprised how often that might be included when someone was introducing me to someone new , that it was that much a part of my identity. I did have a zeal for it, but I hardly wore it on my sleeve. Over the years, my collection became way bigger than I had ever intended, and finally because of other events in my life , my pursuit eased off.
    Just recently, a certain record that I've always considered particularly important for a complete collection , but one that has always escaped me [[ & not willing to pay high prices) , popped up reasonably on auction, and after thinking about it, it occurred to me that I no longer felt that NEED to own it, so I let it pass. It was liberating, I felt a bit freed.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-05-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks Boogiedown. Also, thanks for sharing your personal experiences and insight! Must have been a tough to give up your truck. But as you pointed out, it's freeing and letting go can make room in your life to receive new experiences. Perhaps I'm getting far too off topic for this forum, lol.

Interesting though that the I Hear A Symphony booklet is not available digitally. Hopefully the powers that be will see this thread and consider adding it to iTunes and the other online services? After all of the work and research that was put into creating it, one would think it would be a good thing to make available, even for future archival purposes...

I'm not sure many of the booklets are available digitally are they?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I'm not sure many of the booklets are available digitally are they?
    All of them were at the time of their initial release except Sing HDH​. Not sure about now.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Right on, worntorndress! I suppose another part of my reasons for not buying multiples at the time they were released is due to the fact that I was a very young fan in 2004...I may have been 16?? I had limited money to spend, and buying an imported limited edition 2 CD set of Where Did Our Love Go was already a bit much as it was, let alone buying two of them. I still get those feelings though where I feel like I need to go back and get second sealed copies of everything, because I read those posts from fans of other artists that say, "Oh I have three sealed copies of each title! Here's a photo of the entire collection of CD digipacks in my glass cabinet!" And then it sets off my internal "I need to do this" alarms. Some of it really feeds into the OCD tendencies [[a lot of us super fans have different degrees of it) and some of it feeds into our human nature to want to make an identity for ourselves, such as being a fan of something, and then we feel that we need to preserve that identity at all costs....or else we think on a deeper level, 'what are we in the eyes of others?' "God forbid I don't have three sealed copies of the same CD, otherwise I'll feel like I'm worthless!!" [[Sarcasm). And yes, as silly as that sounds, that's what fuels the psychology behind the obsessive collecting frenzy amongst us fans...and I can say that because I've lived it and overspent over many years, and it never truly feels like it's enough. It's not a good place to be in because the joy is removed from collecting and it just becomes a self destructive OCD mess.

So yeah, do whatever makes you most happy. I say enjoy it, my friend!

It's too bad that Universal made these releases so severely limited in the first place!
    Off topic but I've only purchased one copy of each Supremes EE and have played them and enjoyed them immensely. The booklets are fantastic, and in some ways, more exciting than the music.

There is ONE EE that I have two copies of; one still sealed, and that's "Live in Japan". Somehow I managed to get copy 0001 [[or 00001? I can't remember). Anyway, I thought that was worth keeping intact.

I bought two copies of THERE'S A PLACE FOR US and I believe IN JAPAN as well. I thought that since they were limited editions, I better have one for safekeeping. After that, I figured the chances of my copies being damaged were small so I decided to stop buying two.

I did end up getting two copies of LAST TIME I SAW HIM because I complained to Motown Select about the late delivery and they sent a replacement. In the meantime, the original arrived so I lucked out.