[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Jackie Wilson "You Better Know It"

    I've never seen this before:


  2. #2
    I've never seen it before either. Jackie Wilson was one of the Premier Singers & Entertainers of his era and it would be great to be able to see more of his work on stage. Thanks for sharing Marv2.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I've never seen it before either. Jackie Wilson was one of the Premier Singers & Entertainers of his era and it would be great to be able to see more of his work on stage. Thanks for sharing Marv2.
    You're most welcome Motown Eddie. I always thoug Jackie's story would make a good film.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You're most welcome Motown Eddie. I always thoug Jackie's story would make a good film.
    I suspect the Tarnopol family (Paul and Tara) who own most of the Jackie Wilson catalogue, believing that Nat Tarnopol would likely emerge as a villain in any such film, would refuse to license all those songs for such a project...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    I suspect the Tarnopol family (Paul and Tara) who own most of the Jackie Wilson catalogue, believing that Nat Tarnopol would likely emerge as a villain in any such film, would refuse to license all those songs for such a project...
    Unfortunately, I believe you are right Stu.

  6. #6
    I saw Jackie live in the UK in the 70's and really didn't fully appreciate his huge contribution. What I saw was a guy who was performing legacy, outmoded material and much newer fresher material. With the passing of time, I am so glad I got to see him and also to understand where and how he fits in the evolution of old style R&B to newer fresher soul music. He was in retrospect a giant.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I saw Jackie live in the UK in the 70's and really didn't fully appreciate his huge contribution. What I saw was a guy who was performing legacy, outmoded material and much newer fresher material. With the passing of time, I am so glad I got to see him and also to understand where and how he fits in the evolution of old style R&B to newer fresher soul music. He was in retrospect a giant.
    I hear you Mike. My mother and father use to go see Jackie Wilson in concert back in the 50s and 60s. Several years ago my mother took me to see one of the places where he use to perform that has long since close, the Civic Ballroom in Toledo, Ohio. We saw the small stage and the wooden dance floor they use to dance on. I've met Jackie's youngest son and one of his daughters in recent years. Good people
    Last edited by marv2; 01-04-2019 at 01:21 AM.

  8. #8
    Jackie Wilson is one of the few acts from as far back as 1959 that I can say I properly love. I bloody love this song (this video shows how old it really is though lol). I can't quite describe it but it's almost like an old fashioned pop/jazz song combined with rock & roll, R&B and soul, and it's fantastic.

  9. #9
    There's only one word to describe jackie wison..i-c-o-n!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.