[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What if...Diana would have been a special guest on The Carol Burnett Show?

Imagine a perfect episode. What year? What songs? What kind of sketch?

Episode #1 [[1969)
    -Carol Burnett doing a Q&A
    -Regular Sketch
    -Diana singing "No Matter What Sign You Are".
    -Diana And Carol singing a song together.
    -An Sketch with Diana.
    -Regular Sketch
    -Regular Sketch
    -Diana And Caril singing another song together.

Episode #2 [[1971)
    -Carol Burnett doing a Q&A
    -Regular Sketch
    -Diana singing "Remember Me" and "I'm Still Waiting".
    -Diana And Carol singing a song together.
    -An Sketch with Diana.
    -Regular Sketch
    -Regular Sketch
    -Diana And Caril singing another song together.

what about a sketch of Vicki, Carol and Diana doing a Supremes parody?

and imagine the Bob Mackie outfits!!

Also surprised that the Supremes never appeared on the show

In retrospect, hard to believe it never happened! I can imagine Carol & Diana doing a song-sketch parodying their every-day girl vs. glamour girl images; would have been great!

Carol Burnett did a Diana Ross & the Supremes parody as Donna Rose & the Magnificents. I think guest Eydie Gorme was a Magnificent. They were supposedly guests on a Johnny Carson-type talk show and Carol Burnett as Donna Rose would not let the other two [[the Magnificents) answer any of the host's questions. She would glare at them if they tried and they would then just say Doo-wah, Doo-wah.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Carol Burnett did a Diana Ross & the Supremes parody as Donna Rose & the Magnificents. I think guest Eydie Gorme was a Magnificent. They were supposedly guests on a Johnny Carson-type talk show and Carol Burnett as Donna Rose would not let the other two [[the Magnificents) answer any of the host's questions. She would glare at them if they tried and they would then just say Doo-wah, Doo-wah.
    Did she tell them they’d be replaced?

Carol Burnett would have never had Diana Ross as a guest on her show. Diana decided to feud with Carol when Carol innocently made the comment at the 1972-73 Academy Awards show just before introducing Diana. Carol said "Why she [[Diana) ever left the Supremes, I'll never know.....".

Diana Ross and Motown acted as if Carol Burnett had said something about Diane's mama and demanded a public, printed apology from Burnett! It was a big deal in the news at the time. LOL!

She could hardly get along with anyone. It was a lot of work on Motown's part to keep that from the public.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-03-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Diana would have been great on the Carol Burnett Show. It's one of those "what ifs." I also wonder why Julie Andrews never appeared on Carol's show. They were best friends and during that whole time the show was on Julie never made an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Diana would have been great on the Carol Burnett Show. It's one of those "what ifs." I also wonder why Julie Andrews never appeared on Carol's show. They were best friends and during that whole time the show was on Julie never made an appearance.
    The absence of Julie Andrews may have been due to the full-length specials Carol and she did together, which are/were a delight! And, yes, Diana would have been killer with Carol, who could sing quite well herself. Would be very interesting to know if the offer had ever been made.

Here's a NY Post story today about Carol's iconic costuming -

https://nypost.com/2019/01/04/funny-...onic-tv-looks/

Kinda surprised Diana or the Supremes were never on myself...

Probably during this time Berry may have felt less of Diana on TV would be in his favor to get a higher price...who knows ?
    Name:  s-l640.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  46.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Carol Burnett would have never had Diana Ross as a guest on her show. Diana decided to feud with Carol when Carol innocently made the comment at the 1972-73 Academy Awards show just before introducing Diana. Carol said "Why she [[Diana) ever left the Supremes, I'll never know.....".

Diana Ross and Motown acted as if Carol Burnett had said something about Diane's mama and demanded a public, printed apology from Burnett! It was a big deal in the news at the time. LOL!

She could hardly get along with anyone. It was a lot of work on Motown's part to keep that from the public.
    ‘I saw/heard no news at all about this non-event as everyone with a tenth of a brain knew that Carol Burnett was heaping praise for Ross’ accomplishments including receiving thevCoretta Scott King Award and ended it with the wry, “Why she left the Supremes I’ll never know! “ it was a joke and everyone knew it because she had, by that time, eclipsed her stardom with The Supremes tenfold. I will look at Daily Variety and The Hollywood Reporter for info on this as there is nothing about it in the NYT - however, what do they know about “big deal news? ” Nor was this nontroversy mentioned in any of her bios.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    ‘I saw/heard no news at all about this non-event as everyone with a tenth of a brain knew that Carol Burnett was heaping praise for Ross’ accomplishments including receiving thevCoretta Scott King Award and ended it with the wry, “Why she left the Supremes I’ll never know! “ it was a joke and everyone knew it because she had, by that time, eclipsed her stardom with The Supremes tenfold. I will look at Daily Variety and The Hollywood Reporter for info on this as there is nothing about it in the NYT - however, what do they know about “big deal news? ” Nor was this nontroversy mentioned in any of her bios.
    I watched that show and I remember the comment and took it as a compliment to Diana as well. There is no way Diana or Motown took that as an insult to Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I watched that show and I remember the comment and took it as a compliment to Diana as well. There is no way Diana or Motown took that as an insult to Diana.
    I also watched this show and it was indeed a compliment to Diana Ross as becoming bigger than the Supremes. In fact Diana's daughter Tracee is a huge fan of Carol Burnett. She is one of her idols and they are friends.

Carol Burnett season and episode# ?

Does anyone know what season/episode this appeared on? I have looked at many of the old Carol Burnett retrospective videos, but have been unable to find this one. I remember seeing it when it was originally broadcast and it was hilarious. As I recall, they wore huge Afro wigs which were plastered with sequins. They also sang a parody song which had lyrics similar to “Standing at the crossroads of love” but with spoken parts which were overly dramatic and over the top. Very funny parody...I would love to see it again!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Consider the source. Its told more lies In this here forum than President Bunker Boy.

Well, they did a good job of keeping it from the public. But at least they told you, so thankfully it is not second or third hand info that you are giving us. Thank you.

I am a fan of Carol Burnette. Love her show. They are currently streaming the entire series.
    Name:  diana and carol.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  89.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Well, they did a good job of keeping it from the public. But at least they told you, so thankfully it is not second or third hand info that you are giving us. Thank you.
    LMAO. Hehehehehehe.

I am sure if Berry wanted exposure for Diana on the Carol Burnett show there was enough drive and professionalism to move pass anything said the wrong way. However, as mentioned before that was nothing but a compliment towards Diana.

So, I guess if Diana didn't appear on your show at the time there was a riff between her and the host. I knew there was a problem when she didn't appear on The Brady Bunch show.

She never appeared on Tony Orlando and Dawn show either. But I think she had a tiff with him too. They once met while grocery shopping in Beverly Hills and he told her that he liked Stop In The Name of Love. She got offended because at the time, she was no longer a Supreme and didn't take it as a compliment. She turned around and left in a huff. But this pissed Tony off and he grabbed a yellow ribbon from the card department and tied it around her.

I hope no one asks me to document this 😉

https://youtu.be/DDEdFxUZ01s

merciful heavens you can spin a tale that would make The Brothers Grimm green with envy.
    Lesser gentle folk than I would use the term “LIAR”.....but personally, I don’t go there.

Diana Ross, not being an imbecile, certainly knew that carol Bernat had just sent accolades to diana ross and made a sarcastic joke, “why she left the Supremes I’ll never know! “
    You see, Two years after she left the Supremes she starred in a movie that would be number one box office for six weeks, earn her rave reviews internationally as an actress, nab her a Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination, The soundtrack hitting number one, among other hit records, sell-out venues and having just one Coretta Scott King award.

because she was being sarcastic which everyone in the audience but you seem to understand, no one but you would have thought there was any reason to be a problem between diana ross and carol, So Motown would not have had to do anything about it. No one ever said Motown did anything about it - you never read it anywhere - no one ever told you that Motown did anything about it because it didn’t happen. And even if this absurdity were true, it would not explain why she was not on the show for the six years prior to This incident.

try again, and Better luck next time!
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 06-22-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    She never appeared on Tony Orlando and Dawn show either. But I think she had a tiff with him too. They once met while grocery shopping in Beverly Hills and he told her that he liked Stop In The Name of Love. She got offended because at the time, she was no longer a Supreme and didn't take it as a compliment. She turned around and left in a huff. But this pissed Tony off and he grabbed a yellow ribbon from the card department and tied it around her.

I hope no one asks me to document this 😉
    Thank you so much for clarifying this for me. I always wondered why she was not a guest on their show. Lol 😂 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I heard Diana gave Carol a spare camera she got somewhere and the camera never worked so Carol was miffed

Odd man out here, but I've never been a fan of Carol Burnett.

A couple of things...

The Carol Burnett Supremes parody can be streamed online for free if you have Amazon prime. Just pull up the Burnett Show and go to Season 4 episode four.

Despite its lengthy run, the CB Show was never much of a showcase of new music. Only a handful of artists played the show while their current song was big on the charts. The few exceptions include Hurting Each Other by Carpenters, How Long by the Pointer Sisters, Southern Nights by Glen Campbell & Our Love by Natalie Cole. Some others like Nancy Wilson & Neil Sedaka saw no bump from performing new singles on the show to even scrape the charts with them.

The Supremes missed out on Burnett but actually wound up performing on bigger shows. Flip Wilson & Tom Jones both had larger audiences than Carol attracted in those days so there was no big conspiracy in them or Ross not playing CB. As noted, Berry kept Ross off TV In those days intentionally so there was no risk of overexposure.

that sounds hilarious!

Couldn't find it , but did find an appearance with The Pointer Sisters!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    that sounds hilarious!

Couldn't find it , but did find an appearance with The Pointer Sisters!

Honestly, after all of the hype I was disappointed. I finally saw an airing of the episode last week on MeTV and the skit was just okay. The girls were discovered while working in a sequin factory, released a huge hit and were breaking up—all in the course of 48 hours. The “doo-wah’s” from the background singers were barely reminiscent of anything Supreme. To me, the only real similarity was the group name and the lead singer pursuing a solo career...

Name:  597627_1447213872504_409_300.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  22.5 KB

Diane Rose & The Magnificents [[1970)

Quote Originally Posted by RicanStruction View Post
    Name:  597627_1447213872504_409_300.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  22.5 KB

Diane Rose & The Magnificents [[1970)
    Here is the whole show. There is no way Carol Burnett was going to have Diana Ross on her show:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...l-Burnett-Show

Here is the whole show. There is no way Carol Burnett was going to have Diana Ross on her show:

Why? Just a comedy skit! You make a mountain out of a mole-hill. SMDH. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Why? Just a comedy skit! You make a mountain out of a mole-hill. SMDH. 

"Originally Posted by marv2 October 2016
    I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    "Originally Posted by marv2 October 2016
    I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."
    Well I guess that was just another one of his many lies. Lol.

It was a parody....a joke. Do you know what a joke is? Miss Ross is and was fully aware of her public persona and I’m certain her ability to be lampooned was more of a complement to being that famous, then to take it seriously. You notice that Barbra Streisand did not sue mad Magazine after they ran, “on a clear Day you can see a funny girl singing hello dolly forever “

you see, it’s called humor. Your obsessive hatred of Miss Ross is so strong that Sadly, you cannot even see past it.

Do you notice that Carol Burnett heaped praise on diana ross at the Oscars in March 1973 , if she had a problem she wouldn’t have done that.

I wonder where the animosity was rooted ? [[ Did Diana/ Motown give the early Carol Burnett show the brush off? After all, the Supremes went on any and every other possible variety show they could nab in the sixties).

This Burnett segment is more like a hit piece on Diana , some lame skit from Saturday Night Live trying to pass itself off as humor. I didn't catch a single genuine laugh line. [[They met working in a sequence factory and the factory blew up and now they can't get them off, whew).
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a weaker skit on Carol Burnett , [[they could be hit and miss), and it goes over with a resounding thud. Even the timing seems off. The most effort was put into the costumes which are totally cool [[they were wearing just plain evening gowns and wigs when the factory blew up , I guess ).
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-29-2020 at 12:41 PM.

I wonder where the animosity was rooted ? [[ Did Diana/ Motown give the early Carol Burnett show the brush off? After all, the Supremes went on any and every other possible variety show they could nab in the sixties).

This Burnett segment is more like a hit piece on Diana , some lame skit from Saturday Night Live trying to pass itself off as humor. I didn't catch a single genuine laugh line. [[They met working in a sequence factory and the factory blew up and now they can't get them off, whew).
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a weaker skit on Carol Burnett , [[they could be hit and miss), and it goes over with a resounding thud. Even the timing seems off. The most effort was put into the costumes which are totally cool [[they were wearing just plain evening gowns and wigs when the factory blew up , I guess ).
    The one thing they had in common was Bob Mackie! I am certain Diane said something nasty to Carol when they bumped into each other there. Same thing with Joan Rivers. This skit may not be that funny, but what's worse, it presents the general perception the public had/has of "Diana Ross"! She is not a beloved celebrity among the general public.

If looks could kill in that picture...!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    If looks could kill in that picture...!
    In what picture?

Carol,Rock, Diana...

Carol,Rock, Diana...
    Sorry I don't see it. If it is here, it must have been posted by someone I have on ignore. No big deal.

Carol,Rock, Diana...
    Oh PM your Mastress the photo.

The one thing they had in common was Bob Mackie! I am certain Diane said something nasty to Carol when they bumped into each other there. Same thing with Joan Rivers. This skit may not be that funny, but what's worse, it presents the general perception the public had/has of "Diana Ross"! She is not a beloved celebrity among the general public.

I have a feeling you know more .....

As far as Joan Rivers , are you saying there was a rift between her and Carol or between her and Diana ? Concerning Bob Mackie??

I have a feeling you know more .....

As far as Joan Rivers , are you saying there was a rift between her and Carol or between her and Diana ? Concerning Bob Mackie??
    A rift between Ross and Rivers. A bigger rift between Burnett and Ross occurred a few years later at the 1973 Academy Awards Show. The problem with that one as I saw it was Carol made an innocent joke and Diana Ross was taking herself way too seriously at the time. There is more behind it, but the guys on this sub-forum cannot take it and will pretend that it was all my fault! LOL!!!

Here's a copy of one of the stories that ran about "the incident" involving Carol Burnett and Diana Ross. This is from Jet Magazine, May 3, 1973:

Name:  Carol Burnett Diana Ross story.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  70.2 KB

It is obvious that Carol Burnett was joking because obviously Miss Ross was starting to achieve major success as an actress. It was sarcasm, irony,joking. I am sure Miss Ross saw that as did Motown. Other Motown artists were guests on her show. I think the Gordy/Ross plan was to feature her as a solo on Laugh In and Like Hep while still in the group. TCB & GIT were on NBC with the same Laugh In producers so that made sense. Like Hep had her alongside two legends Dinah Shore & Lucille Ball. After she left the Supremes, I think the goal was to have her headline her own specials and not guest star on programs like the Supremes still did, although she appeared on some talk shows but that was different-it was to promote her as a solo. Her own special Diana! would do more than a guest spot on the Burnett show. Wonder why the Supremes were not on Burnett as they did guest on Flip Wilson, Glen Campbell,Sonny and Cher and Tom Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    It is obvious that Carol Burnett was joking because obviously Miss Ross was starting to achieve major success as an actress. It was sarcasm, irony,joking. I am sure Miss Ross saw that as did Motown. Other Motown artists were guests on her show. I think the Gordy/Ross plan was to feature her as a solo on Laugh In and Like Hep while still in the group. TCB & GIT were on NBC with the same Laugh In producers so that made sense. Like Hep had her alongside two legends Dinah Shore & Lucille Ball. After she left the Supremes, I think the goal was to have her headline her own specials and not guest star on programs like the Supremes still did, although she appeared on some talk shows but that was different-it was to promote her as a solo. Her own special Diana! would do more than a guest spot on the Burnett show. Wonder why the Supremes were not on Burnett as they did guest on Flip Wilson, Glen Campbell,Sonny and Cher and Tom Jones?
    No Motown or Diana Ross did not see it as sarcasm or a joke. They wanted to get into Carol's shit about it. They even tried to stretch it and called it veiled racism. I remember all the hubbub about this little joke back then. Motown and Diana Ross had Carol or someone from her organization issue a formal apology! Can you imagine that. I watch that show that night and didn't think much of what Carol said other than it was a mild little joke.

Totally untrue as usual, Burnett would loved to have Ross on her show and there was no backlash because of Carol's joke. Simply put, Diana and Berry were patterning Ross's career similar to the way Barbara Streisand did hers. Streisand did little TV.

No Motown or Diana Ross did not see it as sarcasm or a joke. They wanted to get into Carol's shit about it. They even tried to stretch it and called it veiled racism.

If any of this were true you could be sure it would have made Randy's books and I would have included it on the ETH we did on Ross. I was a DJ during this period and was in constant touch with higher ups at Motown, I'm sure I would have heard this. In 1973 this country didn't scream racism for little jokes like it does now.

Also, BG was adamant that his artists never stirred controversy under his direction.

Carol Burnett was and is a much loved lady. I saw this incident and there was no mistaking it was a joke. Burnett would have loved to have Ross on her show IF Ross was doing those kinds of shows, which she was not. What Marv is omitting here is that the fans did a letter writing campaign to Ms Burnett to have the Mary, Scherrie, Cindy Supremes on her show. She was kind enough to answer our letters saying she admired the group, but we got our answer when she hired the Pointer Sisters, who were quite hot.

Take into consideration again, Marv names no sources.

You just shot yourself in the foot, it asked for clarification, NOT an apology and there is no hint of racism claims in the article.

No Motown or Diana Ross did not see it as sarcasm or a joke. They wanted to get into Carol's shit about it. They even tried to stretch it and called it veiled racism. I remember all the hubbub about this little joke back then. Motown and Diana Ross had Carol or someone from her organization issue a formal apology! Can you imagine that. I watch that show that night and didn't think much of what Carol said other than it was a mild little joke.
    that is a complete change of heart from what you’ve been saying for years about this incident. You have always claimed that Carol Burnett slammed diana ross at the Oscars and that something to the effect “most people in Hollywood hated diana ross and we’re happy when Carol Burnett insulted her publicly on the Academy Awards “ You’ve been saying things like that for 20 years at least and now you are claiming to have taken it as a mild little joke. Well I am taking that as a mild little joke because only since it’s been spelled out for you several times recently have you changed your tune.