[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gladys On Diana

That link is 3 plus years old. You really need a hobby outside of Diane Ross dear. Trust me Miss Gladys aint all sweetness and light.

You almost want to ask who hasn't she feuded with? LOL!!! That makes both Gladys that were at Motown.

And Patti said their feud ended at one of their Oprah gatherings!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You almost want to ask who hasn't she feuded with? LOL!!! That makes both Gladys that were at Motown.
    Happy New year so glad you and your BFF started the year with Diane Ross. May you both compulsivly obsess over Miss Ross for next 365 days. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Gladness WHO????..lol

Never try to upstage the star.
    Gladys and other envious fools learned the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Never try to upstage the star.
    Gladys and other envious fools learned the hard way.
    On the offensive and touche’!!!

I could throw up. “I am not a liar” claims Gladys, but lie she does in this very article.

1) There is nothing in this story to indicate Ross had an issue with Gladys’ voice - it was the rousing closer of the Current smash Grapevine that Ross felt was hard to follow with their new opener, The Symphony Medley. Gladys IS lying claiming it’s her voice. They went back to opening with YKMHO for the next few weeks.

2) Gladys is lying when she says she never held it against her - she’s done nothing but squeeze this story for publicity for decades as well as throw shade at her in her shows. LOL the purpose of this interview and story is supposed to be to plug Gladys’ new album, but 90% of it is about Ross.

3) she’s lying about being called Empress of Soul. It’s POSSIBLE that without any prompting, some nobody referred to her as Empress and Gladys ran with it, but as shady as she is, I’m fairly certain she chose it - either way, it’s not like the industry gave her the name organically like Queen Ree Or even groundswell support like Queen Mary - as some called her - when she was at Motown. No. Gladys all the sudden began using it everywhere in all her publicity and it still is so desperate sounding. I love her voice, but can can cut a butch as easy as say hello. She gives herself away when she said, “I couldn’t call myself Queen” Which indicates she was looking for a monarch her to use, and why is she even needs a moniker, except to feed her own ego, is beyond me. She is one of the greatest voices ever, that Ohta be enough!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I could throw up. “I am not a liar” claims Gladys, but lie she does in this very article.

1) There is nothing in this story to indicate Ross had an issue with Gladys’ voice - it was the rousing closer of the Current smash Grapevine that Ross felt was hard to follow with their new opener, The Symphony Medley. Gladys IS lying claiming it’s her voice. They went back to opening with YKMHO for the next few weeks.

2) Gladys is lying when she says she never held it against her - she’s done nothing but squeeze this story for publicity for decades as well as throw shade at her in her shows. LOL the purpose of this interview and story is supposed to be to plug Gladys’ new album, but 90% of it is about Ross.

3) she’s lying about being called Empress of Soul. It’s POSSIBLE that without any prompting, some nobody referred to her as Empress and Gladys ran with it, but as shady as she is, I’m fairly certain she chose it - either way, it’s not like the industry gave her the name organically like Queen Ree Or even groundswell support like Queen Mary - as some called her - when she was at Motown. No. Gladys all the sudden began using it everywhere in all her publicity and it still is so desperate sounding. I love her voice, but can can cut a butch as easy as say hello. She gives herself away when she said, “I couldn’t call myself Queen” Which indicates she was looking for a monarch her to use, and why is she even needs a moniker, except to feed her own ego, is beyond me. She is one of the greatest voices ever, that Ohta be enough!
    Agree all around. Gladys also has a Streisand grudge, among others. Great talent, great show-personality - but not everyone gets what they want in life; not everyone gets to be #1. I have many wonderful memories of GK&TP live in the 70's and will keep it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    That link is 3 plus years old. You really need a hobby outside of Diane Ross dear. Trust me Miss Gladys aint all sweetness and light.
    Right?? I think this 'information' has been posted here more than once before. I think they're stirrin' peanut butter in that pot 'cause they already have THE JELLY! Best to you, Ms. Roberta, for a Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Right?? I think this 'information' has been posted here more than once before. I think they're stirrin' peanut butter in that pot 'cause they already have THE JELLY! Best to you, Ms. Roberta, for a Happy New Year!
    Happy New Year t0 you my dear.

... I sometimes ponder ... why, oh why, does no one on this forum ever yak about Gladys disbanding from the Pips? Actually, I guess it's ... different ... than other similar situations.

... I sometimes ponder ... why, oh why, does no one on this forum ever yak about Gladys disbanding from the Pips? Actually, I guess it's ... different ... than other similar situations.
    I have always wondered why Gladys has gotten a pass on this. The group was quite upset at the time. And they were all family but it sure didn't stop Gladys from going solo.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I have always wondered why Gladys has gotten a pass on this. The group was quite upset at the time. And they were all family but it sure didn't stop Gladys from going solo.
    They are all sisters and all in love with the star and all have to talk endlessly about the star fro 50 years ago

I can answer that! It's because Gladys was not as mega-successful as Diana. Hence, less resentment and more jealousy correspondingly. But, still, Gladys gave a 'bye, Felicia' to the Pips when she felt it was convenient and that fact should not be ignored when discussing 'disloyal' leads going solo.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 01-02-2019 at 08:31 PM.

I can answer that! It's because Gladys was not as mega-successful as Diana. Hence, less resentment and more jealousy correspondingly. But, still, Gladys gave a 'bye, Felicia' to the Pips when she felt it was convenient and that fact should not be ignored when discussing 'disloyal' leads going solo.
    Ain't that the truth. And I guess Gladys really never had any real big hits without the Pips.

Ain't that the truth. And I guess Gladys really never had any real big hits without the Pips.
    In the US she didn't, but in Europe she had a huge hit with License to Kill, the James Bond song. I saw Gladys Knight live two years ago and was very impressed by her vocals, but she did repeat that whole story that Marvin Gaye stole her song [[which of course he didn't; she was just lucky her version was released first). The same with the Diana Ross rivalry stuff Gladys has repeated over and over again for fifty years. Boring...

After all that mess she pulled after Aretha died, I've been looking sideways at her. One of the greatest singers of all time but... ooh wee... and I still don't get her having issues with Motown when she and the Pips were at least the third most successful GROUP on the label after 1967...

I also forget she claimed Norman Whitfield used music from an unreleased Pips song for Marvin's version of I Heard It Through the Grapevine, which Marvin obviously denied and was a bold faced lie to begin with since Marvin's version was recorded MONTHS before Gladys was ever approached with it!

Let's not forget that Gladys was in the middle of a beef between Dionne Warwick and Patti LaBelle when they filmed their Sisters in the Name of Love tour....

So she can miss me with that...

Auntie Gladys, stick to singing about going on the midnight train to Georgia, child, because some of your facts concerning the other Motown legends like Miss Ross and Marvin are faulty... love your performance at Quincy's birthday show though!
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-03-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    In the US she didn't, but in Europe she had a huge hit with License to Kill, the James Bond song. I saw Gladys Knight live two years ago and was very impressed by her vocals, but she did repeat that whole story that Marvin Gaye stole her song [[which of course he didn't; she was just lucky her version was released first). The same with the Diana Ross rivalry stuff Gladys has repeated over and over again for fifty years. Boring...
    She kept saying "Marvin stole Grapevine from me". I'm like "huh????"

Also, that whole "we were given the leftovers while the Supremes and the Temptations had the top material"...

I seriously doubt it. They may have been rebels a little since they demanded the Andantes not be on their recordings but they were only given the "leftovers" their first year and a half. When "Grapevine" hit, they got the national exposure they always wanted.

And by then, the Supremes weren't always guaranteed a number one hit anymore so they only focused on their live shows and TV specials. The Miracles were starting to fade. The Four Tops were just clinging on. Martha & the Vandellas were put on the back burner. The Marvelettes were basically forgotten. It was two years before the Jackson 5 signed. The only group in Motown to have continuous hits around the time the Pips started to have hits in Motown was The Temptations. And the Pips were very consistent in that period they claimed they were "given the leftovers". In fact, Bubba Knight confirms they were able to snag "Nitty Gritty" away from...THE SUPREMES.

Left behind? What? Especially in the '70s when Diana AND the Supremes each struggled to get footing after they departed from each other. If I Were Your Woman, I Don't Want to Do Wrong, Help Me Make It Through the Night, Neither One of Us [[which made them the second Motown act to get a Grammy!!!).

[singing like the Pips in "Love Overboard"] Gladys, Gladys, GLADYS... WOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I was in England when LTK was indeed a big [[yet, sadly, one-off ...) hit for solo Gladys. It is indeed boring [[and quite ironic, being that certain posters here like to yak about Diana's shows not changing ...) that Gladys chooses to repeat the same stage patter for decades. But without a doubt Knight is a vocal giant.

Just occurred to me ... if one wished, one could ask Gladys about 'stealing':
    'The Nitty Gritty', in 1969, after Shirley Ellis recorded it in 1964
    'Help Me Make It Through the Night', in 1972, after Sammi Smith recorded it in 1972
    'Midnight Train to Georgia', in 1973, after Cissy Houston recorded it in 1972
    'The Way We Were', in 1975, after Barbra Streisand recorded it in 1973
    'Hero' in 1983, after Lou Rawls recorded it in 1982
    Hmmm ... gander, meet goose!

...and may you take time this year to figure out who you really are: Jonc/joncluckie.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    After all that mess she pulled after Aretha died, I've been looking sideways at her. One of the greatest singers of all time but... ooh wee... and I still don't get her having issues with Motown when she and the Pips were at least the third most successful GROUP on the label after 1967...

I also forget she claimed Norman Whitfield used music from an unreleased Pips song for Marvin's version of I Heard It Through the Grapevine, which Marvin obviously denied and was a bold faced lie to begin with since Marvin's version was recorded MONTHS before Gladys was ever approached with it!

Let's not forget that Gladys was in the middle of a beef between Dionne Warwick and Patti LaBelle when they filmed their Sisters in the Name of Love tour....

So she can miss me with that...

Auntie Gladys, stick to singing about going on the midnight train to Georgia, child, because some of your facts concerning the other Motown legends like Miss Ross and Marvin are faulty... love your performance at Quincy's birthday show though!
    Iadore her voice and have seen her since the 60s, but damn she fulla horse leavings. She just loves to whine and complain. If I could sing like that, I’d even be nice to Trump.....well, nice-ER, anyway. A voice like that still in great shape and she bitch bitch bitch ever so gently, earnestly and shadily.

that Aretha BS is exactly her MO and is maddening. But you ever hear her do wind beneath my wings live and all is forgiven. If Bette heard that, she’d never sing another note.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 01-06-2019 at 03:29 AM.

Just occurred to me ... if one wished, one could ask Gladys about 'stealing':
    'The Nitty Gritty', in 1969, after Shirley Ellis recorded it in 1964
    'Help Me Make It Through the Night', in 1972, after Sammi Smith recorded it in 1972
    'Midnight Train to Georgia', in 1973, after Cissy Houston recorded it in 1972
    'The Way We Were', in 1975, after Barbra Streisand recorded it in 1973
    'Hero' in 1983, after Lou Rawls recorded it in 1982
    Hmmm ... gander, meet goose!
    Ha! Thing is, Glad Ass does each if those better - except the way we were - but I do love her version. She stole them all. She had ‘A REASON’ to dump The Pips if I recall, plus she gives Bubba 20 minutes of her show.

Iadore her voice and have seen her since the 60s, but damn she fulla horse leavings. She just loves to whine and complain. If I could sing like that, I’d even be nice to Trump.....well, nice-ER, anyway. A voice like that still in great shape and she bitch bitch bitch ever so gently, earnestly and shadily.

that Aretha BS is exactly her MO and is maddening. But you ever hear her do wind beneath my wings live and all is forgiven. If Bette heard that, she’d never sing another note.
    Maybe that's why she has that great voice. Because otherwise, I don't know if I would deal with her lol

Her versions often are the definite versions, particularly Midnight Train to Georgia. But also with that song she tells a story that just doesn't ring true, supposedly changing it from a plane to a train. Gladys' version is based on Cissy Houston's version, which already changed the Midnight Plane to Houston into the Midnight Train to Georgia.

djt partnering remains to be seen but Gladys did indeed write songs with fellow cult member xxx I mean Morman, that queer-hatin' race-batin' Orrin Hatch. So there's that. Can't make this stuff up.
    D

This seems like"old" news again from years ago. From what I can remember when Gladys and Diana got together at the "Oprah Legendary Ball" the question was asked, "Why couldn't we get along back then ?" The response was "We had to grow up". Hopefully, Gladys has grown up and not still talking abut this. A shame some of the fans can't.

But Gladys IS still talking about this. I don’t think she’ll ever quit as the public is much more interested in Ross than her.

But Gladys IS still talking about this. I don’t think she’ll ever quit as the public is much more interested in Ross than her.
    That’s the point - a few of them can only generate publicity as they age by talking about what’s best known about them and they seem to still think Diana can do it for them

Something tells me she's lying about bringing the Jackson 5 to Motown too. Every member of the Jackson 5 confirmed it was Bobby Taylor, and Bobby alone, that was the cause of them going to Motown in the first place...

djt partnering remains to be seen but Gladys did indeed write songs with fellow cult member xxx I mean Morman, that queer-hatin' race-batin' Orrin Hatch. So there's that. Can't make this stuff up.
    D
    Are you serious? Gladys Knight collaberated with that old right wing sexist and homophobic and racist old bigot Orin Hatch. SMH in disgust.

Hmm PeaceNHarmony deleted or edited that post about her working with Orrin Hatch. Orrin's a Mormon???

We know the Mormons have had a history of racism and homophobia in the past. Even the way they formed was strange. Their God is Joseph H. Smith or something...

Are you serious? Gladys Knight collaberated with that old right wing sexist and homophobic and racist old bigot Orin Hatch. SMH in disgust.
    Sadly, Ms. Roberta, yes she did. They wrote songs together for one of Gladys' solo lps.

I learn something new everyday on this board. I think I read the deleted post wrong and thought it said that Gladys co-wrote a song with Hatch. But what she did was participate on one of his albums by singing on it.

He has even found some modest success. He has self-released more than a dozen albums featuring professional musicians performing his work. Gladys Knight has covered his songs, as have Christian pop singers and a handful of country musicians. In 2005, he brought in more than $39,000 in royalty earnings, as the New York Times reported at the time.

An article from this week.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9eaab847944a

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I learn something new everyday on this board. I think I read the deleted post wrong and thought it said that Gladys co-wrote a song with Hatch. But what she did was participate on one of his albums by singing on it.

He has even found some modest success. He has self-released more than a dozen albums featuring professional musicians performing his work. Gladys Knight has covered his songs, as have Christian pop singers and a handful of country musicians. In 2005, he brought in more than $39,000 in royalty earnings, as the New York Times reported at the time.

Interesting; thanks! I'll see if I can find more concrete info about their writing songs together -

Wait, he earned THAT much?! $39k? I sure hope Gladys ain't got some recent IRS issues.

Gurl it's not worth it. Not for no Orrin Hatch...

Wow. Say something about Diana Ross and you go down in flames!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Which you fan on a daily basis.

Sorry but even singing on a racist and bigot and homophobes records just as bad IMO.

I mean the fact Gladys turned into a Mormon was suspect enough...

Deflection is not really working on Miss Knight. Like I said, her comments on her claiming she had "the same cancer" Aretha had only to correct like hours later [[maybe a day later!) has got me to look at her sideways. So she could've kept her thoughts on Diana to herself...

Not every legend is gonna be perfect but Gladys was never no angel... her running to religion like Little Richard just makes her suspect to me, that's all.

Hating on Gladys Knight for something Diana Ross did? Crazy man, crazy! LOL!!!

Yea. Very logical. Lol. Gladys apparently is supposed to keep her mouth shut. That’s what bullies want. Apparently her feud with Sheryl Lee Ralph cooled off when they talked about their kids on a vacation. In Sheryl’s book.

Yea. Very logical. Lol. Gladys apparently is supposed to keep her mouth shut. That’s what bullies want. Apparently her feud with Sheryl Lee Ralph cooled off when they talked about their kids on a vacation. In Sheryl’s book.
    You and your little click just love to discuss DIVAS cat fights. Meow meow meow. HHhehehehehehehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Hating on Gladys Knight for something Diana Ross did? Crazy man, crazy! LOL!!!
    No one is hating on Gladys for something Diana Ross did. People are hating on Gladys for using it to get press 50 years after it happened after she claims they made up and she still so desperate that she has to use that to get interviews and headlines… And for lying and always playing the victim like saying grapevine was stolen from her even though she stole all of the kinds of songs for other people and NYC saying she had the same disease that Aretha did which is the shadiest thing anyone has ever done…… That’s why . What diana ross did was not a bad thing, she was doing what was best for her group which anyone would do who had a brain. And it’s the very millions that Diana Ross and the Supremes earned for Motown that gave them the money to develop Gladys, so she should be thinking instead of hating . So quit making things up, like the Carol Burnett feud - You are getting carried away with yourself again… And honey, it ain’t pretty!

Gladys is petty claiming Marvin Gaye stole "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" from her. That drops her credibility. Diana Ross did the same thing James Brown did. But James Brown don't get as much flack as Diana. Hell, there are more stories of James trying to hijack his competitors' shows than there are of Miss Ross.

Here's one such story of James vs. the Dells:

Gladys didn't wanna get into Motown but her PIPS told her "no we going, we need the money!" Atlantic had Aretha, Dionne had her label [[Scepter). The only divas who had it as bad as her was Patti and then SHE [[Gladys) got the number one hits that had suddenly STOPPED for the Supremes [[huh, imagine that). If anyone was left behind among the '60s divas, it was Patti, not Gladys. So again, she can miss me with that...
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-07-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Sorry but even singing on a racist and bigot and homophobes records just as bad IMO.
    I have to agree. If my info is wrong the correction is appreciated. But the activity is equivalent.

No one is hating on Gladys for something Diana Ross did. People are hating on Gladys for using it to get press 50 years after it happened after she claims they made up and she still so desperate that she has to use that to get interviews and headlines… And for lying and always playing the victim like saying grapevine was stolen from her even though she stole all of the kinds of songs for other people and NYC saying she had the same disease that Aretha did which is the shadiest thing anyone has ever done…… That’s why . What diana ross did was not a bad thing, she was doing what was best for her group which anyone would do who had a brain. And it’s the very millions that Diana Ross and the Supremes earned for Motown that gave them the money to develop Gladys, so she should be thinking instead of hating . So quit making things up, like the Carol Burnett feud - You are getting carried away with yourself again… And honey, it ain’t pretty!
    Perfectly stated! And, as you know, not everyone looks good in their own SHADE If only #laughingstock could realize that.

EVERYBODY wait a gall-derned-josh-fersakin'-pooter-tootin' minute! I just remembered seeing Gladys in concert in the early 90's and, instead of her own hits, she stole xxx I mean sang:
    'A House Is Not A Home', 'The End of The Road', and 'I Will Survive'! Being a saint, I'm sure she did not [[gasp, clutch pearls, reach for smelling salts) steal any of those songs either. She must, MUST, have performed the first rendition of each. Right?