[REMOVE ADS]

'Where Did Our Love Go' 40th Anniversary Expanded edition...

Hi I'm new here: the forum was recommended to me over at discogs, as I have been searching for a copy of the 40th Anniversary Expanded Edition of Where Did Our Love Go and I was told there were loads of Supremes fans here that might point me in the right direction. I am absolutely loving the expanded editions, just so annoyed I only just discovered them!
    Last edited by Worntorndress; 12-30-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Typographical error in title.

Quote Originally Posted by Worntorndress View Post
    Hi I'm new here: the forum was recommended to me over at discogs, as I have been searching for a copy of the 40th Anniversary Expanded Edition of Where Did Our Love Go and I was told there were loads of Supremes fans here that might point me in the right direction. I am absolutely loving the expanded editions, just so annoyed I only just discovered them!
    Welcome! Any info on new releases always pop up here on Soulful Detroit. You can also follow the 'Diana Ross & the Supremes: Expanded Editions' page on Facebook for info on upcoming releases. Unfortunately, actual physical copies of Where Did Our Love Go: 40th Anniversary Expanded Edition are sold out. They have been for a while. Your best bet would be to search on eBay or used copies on Amazon, but those can be pretty pricey. It is available digitally on Amazon and iTunes, but I know people want the actual physical copy.

What other expanded editions do you have? There are a few others sold out as well.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 12-30-2018 at 05:52 PM.

the promotion and distribution of these titles was somewhat lacking shall we say.. should have been bigger and wider

Yes I've seen some online to download and I will download it if all else fails, but I do like physical copies especially to read the booklets. I have Meet the Supremes, Sing HDH, A Go-Go, At the Copa and I Hear a Symphony, along with the expanded Christmas album - which is really giving Spector's A Christmas Gift a run for its money! Which are your favourites?

Yes, it seems they were. Why limit them? Seems a real shame.

Yes I've seen some online to download and I will download it if all else fails, but I do like physical copies especially to read the booklets. I have Meet the Supremes, Sing HDH, A Go-Go, At the Copa and I Hear a Symphony, along with the expanded Christmas album - which is really giving Spector's A Christmas Gift a run for its money! Which are your favourites?
    Welcome, Worntorndress! I was just in a local record store today and I believe I saw a physical copy of More Hits... if you are looking for one. Let me know in your response and I will give you the store info. I believe they provide shipping...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Welcome, Worntorndress! I was just in a local record store today and I believe I saw a physical copy of More Hits... if you are looking for one. Let me know in your response and I will give you the store info. I believe they provide shipping...
    Yes please that would be fantastic thank you JohnnyB. That is another I would quite like!

Yes please that would be fantastic thank you JohnnyB. That is another I would quite like!

Forever Young Records
    Grand Prairie, TX
    972-352-6299

Give them a call. I can’t remember for sure, but I believe that one was in their Supremes section. In this time of dwindling music stores, Forever Young is incredible. I can easily spend a few hours just browsing there...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Forever Young Records
    Grand Prairie, TX
    972-352-6299

Give them a call. I can’t remember for sure, but I believe that one was in their Supremes section. In this time of dwindling music stores, Forever Young is incredible. I can easily spend a few hours just browsing there...
    Thanks that's really helpful!

The "Where did our love go" expanded is the hardest one to find. I now have 2 copies of all the expanded editions. One I play one copy I keep unopened. My original copy of WDOLG the packaging got wet in the trunk of my car. It took me forever to find a new mint copy. So now I always buy 2 copies to be safe..

I didn’t start buying 2nd copies until I Hear A Symphony and vowed since then to buy two since earlier expanded editions got a little beat up in my car.

i typically buy the set as soon as you can on pre-sale orders. i've enjoyed the physical releases but also fine with the digital only. my real goal is to just get the music, one way or another. Also i love the booklets, again physical or dig. i use iTunes to manage all of my media so i keep all the albums there and i've even made my own playlists for my versions of what i would have preferred for the original lp, creating my own song line up. and i have the books on there too digitally so if i'm in a plane or away from home, i can still access the write ups

the only ones i've not captured a digital version of the books are the pink box set booklet and the Jean and Scherrie years sets. i have the books but given their size and make up, they're difficult to scan

Amoeba Records in Hollywood usually has copies of these on their shelves. Their online site doesn't list any but I know the stores have a lot of stock that isn't listed online. I think if you're patient you should be able to find a set without paying an outrageous price for it.

I had never bought the "This is the Story" Jean Terrell Years box set because it only had a few selections which were previously unreleased and the tracks I had heard on YouTube seemed kind of ho-hum. When I finally decided I had to have it, the set was no longer available and was selling for about $300 on Amazon and Ebay. I reached out to the group here, and it was another SDF member who sold me a duplicate set that he had, and he did so without even charging more than he had paid for it. It's amazing what people on this forum will do for other lovers of this music. So you have found a good resource here.

By the way, I love your member name. It took me a minute to realize the context. Now I want to change mine to "StockingsRolledDownToHerFeet!"
    Last edited by kenneth; 01-02-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

By the way, I love your member name. It took me a minute to realize the context. Now I want to change mine to "StockingsRolledDownToHerFeet!"
    LOL. I'll take "OutOfAPotSheAte."

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    LOL. I'll take "OutOfAPotSheAte."
    But I think we should avoid "DiedWhileMakingHomeMadeJam!"

So glad I have a copy of this!

I usually struggle to come up with remotely imaginative user names, but 'worntorndress' just occurred to me as I love that line from 'Love Child'!

Happy news... I have got hold of copies of 'Where Did Our Love Go', 'More Hits' and 'Let the Music Play - Lost and Found'. All being in well they should arrive with me soon in the post! :-) Thanks for all the advice people!

Great news!

I usually struggle to come up with remotely imaginative user names, but 'worntorndress' just occurred to me as I love that line from 'Love Child'!

Happy news... I have got hold of copies of 'Where Did Our Love Go', 'More Hits' and 'Let the Music Play - Lost and Found'. All being in well they should arrive with me soon in the post! :-) Thanks for all the advice people!
    Awesome you found copies! Enjoy them. They are fantastic!

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum! Just curious: If I may ask, how much did you pay for WDOLG 40th Anniversary?

Awesome, I’m really surprised u found WDOLG!!

I still have my copy of WDOLG shrink wrapped - I can't bring myself to open it, but I have listened ok via a digital download.

Don't forget the expanded CD "Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart" and perhaps the "Funny Girl" download only. Also, the Diana Ross & Supremes & Temptations "Joined Together" which was all their studio recordings including some unreleased tracks.

Not to mention the bootleg/unofficial expanded sets produced by our German friend which are quite nice - "A Bit Of Liverpool", "Sing Country & Western & Pop", "Ballads & Blues" & "Disney Classics", "TCB" etc

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to the Forum! Just curious: If I may ask, how much did you pay for WDOLG 40th Anniversary?
    Thanks! I paid £40 for an ex-library copy that I sourced privately and then I was treated to a brand new sealed copy from Amazon for £170, which is a lot ...I may never open it as I have the second-hand copy! Just snapped up live in Japan, too [[second hand for £20).

"The Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart" is expanded in the sense that it includes all the songs from the sessions, but it only includes the original stereo album mix and the mixes of the additional tracks are from the 1987 Rodgers & Hart Collection. The album's original mono mix has never been released on CD or digitally. It would be nice to see a full expanded edition with the original mono and stereo mixes and then all the tracks getting brand new stereo mixes with alternate vocals if possible. I know it's a long shot and I would happily wait until all the albums get the expanded treatment, but it's something I would hope they do at the end. It deserves it.

Thanks! I paid £40 for an ex-library copy that I sourced privately and then I was treated to a brand new sealed copy from Amazon for £170, which is a lot ...I may never open it as I have the second-hand copy! Just snapped up live in Japan, too [[second hand for £20).
    Fantastic! They're going for a flippin' mint these days.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    "The Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart" is expanded in the sense that it includes all the songs from the sessions, but it only includes the original stereo album mix and the mixes of the additional tracks are from the 1987 Rodgers & Hart Collection. The album's original mono mix has never been released on CD or digitally. It would be nice to see a full expanded edition with the original mono and stereo mixes and then all the tracks getting brand new stereo mixes with alternate vocals if possible. I know it's a long shot and I would happily wait until all the albums get the expanded treatment, but it's something I would hope they do at the end. It deserves it.
    I so agree. I was so disappointed that the mono mixes weren't included.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    anyone know if there are any significant differences between the mono and stereo versions?

on the original R&H cd released in the 80s, they did the 24 of the 25 songs. and then for the R&H collection in early 2000s, they did all 25 [[plus the Copa material). but 2 of the songs on the 00s version are different. One is Bewitched and the other is ??? [[maybe you took advantage of me? can't remember off hand). Wonder if there are other alt versions of songs in the vault.

also I still hold onto the theory that Manhattan was not originally planned as a "shared lead" between D and F. it's not really a duet since they mostly sing the exact same part in unison. Maybe as things unraveled with Flo during winter and spring of 67 they added Diana's vocals? there are no background vocals so maybe it's actually more of an unfinished track? of course i'm just speculating here but interesting to think about

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    anyone know if there are any significant differences between the mono and stereo versions?

on the original R&H cd released in the 80s, they did the 24 of the 25 songs. and then for the R&H collection in early 2000s, they did all 25 [[plus the Copa material). but 2 of the songs on the 00s version are different. One is Bewitched and the other is ??? [[maybe you took advantage of me? can't remember off hand). Wonder if there are other alt versions of songs in the vault.

also I still hold onto the theory that Manhattan was not originally planned as a "shared lead" between D and F. it's not really a duet since they mostly sing the exact same part in unison. Maybe as things unraveled with Flo during winter and spring of 67 they added Diana's vocals? there are no background vocals so maybe it's actually more of an unfinished track? of course i'm just speculating here but interesting to think about
    Definitely “You Took Advantage...” is an alternate vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

I have no clue what the mono mix sounds like as I only have the stereo LP. You're right, it was "Bewitched" and "You Took Advantage Of Me" that were different. "Bewitched" had Diana and Flo singing a duet on the intro. "You Took Advantage Of Me" didn't fade as it did on the Rodgers & Hart Collection. Other than that, I believe all the other tracks were the 1987 mixes.

All three ladies are on "Manhattan" and sing in unison. It'd be interesting to hear what's on the multitrack tapes to see if there is a full Florence lead. I just think she's belting it out.

^ ahhhhh interesting. i had wondered why mary wasn't included in manhattan. that seemed odd. will have a closer listen to see if i can hear her

I assumed Manhattan was an opportunity to feature Florence as a co-lead, just as Mary had duetted with Diana on Falling In Love With Love...