[REMOVE ADS]

Chaka Khan Ready to Bloom Again After Decade of Dormancy

I loved this. Great interview. Thanks Boogiedown!

Is it just me or does Chaka seem a bit out of it in this interview? Maybe we can chalk it up to the fact that she's not used to doing interviews early in the morning? It was a bit weird to hear her talking about marketing Chaka condoms and then putting a random shout out to Coach, in hopes of a product collaboration. I get that as an artist, you have to try to create opportunities and market yourself, but you also have to balance it in such a way so you won't damage your brand and image. The Rose Bowl performance this morning also got a bit messy, as she seemed to forget some words. Hope she's ok.

Here is Chaka's Rose Bowl Parade performance. A lot of comments on social media were criticising her singing and current voice, which I feel is unfair. The lady can definitely still sing circles around most, but I think there were sound issues. Her new single that she sang is also really inferior IMO. It doesn't showcase her voice and doesn't do her justice.

https://youtu.be/yS5wMt2mmEo

Here is the new single...

https://youtu.be/nM9r5XBtoCo

I say dump this album and switch it with the Joni Mitchell tribute album we've been waiting for.

Excited for new music from Chaka...long overdue

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Is it just me or does Chaka seem a bit out of it in this interview? Maybe we can chalk it up to the fact that she's not used to doing interviews early in the morning? It was a bit weird to hear her talking about marketing Chaka condoms and then putting a random shout out to Coach, in hopes of a product collaboration. I get that as an artist, you have to try to create opportunities and market yourself, but you also have to balance it in such a way so you won't damage your brand and image. The Rose Bowl performance this morning also got a bit messy, as she seemed to forget some words. Hope she's ok.
    Sadly I think messy-ness is an inherent part of Chaka-ness and largely responsible for the lady's erratic career. She was magnificent at Aretha's service. I always wish Chaka well.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Sadly I think messy-ness is an inherent part of Chaka-ness and largely responsible for the lady's erratic career. She was magnificent at Aretha's service. I always wish Chaka well.
    Very true. I agree...I loved her tribute to Aretha [[and smiled when I saw her reading the hidden lyrics sheet from the fan in her hand...I'm sure most didn't even notice)! Her voice is like no other and she has made a huge impact on all of our lives. We picked one of her songs to be our entering song for our wedding

Is it just me or does Chaka seem a bit out of it in this interview?
    I love Chaka...but I saw her live in 2017 in London and...well, she definitely was a bit out of it. But sounded fantastic and definitely not messy vocally.

Very true. I agree...I loved her tribute to Aretha [[and smiled when I saw her reading the hidden lyrics sheet from the fan in her hand...I'm sure most didn't even notice)! Her voice is like no other and she has made a huge impact on all of our lives. We picked one of her songs to be our entering song for our wedding
    The lyric-in-the-fan was brilliant! Which song will you have for your wedding?

The lyric-in-the-fan was brilliant! Which song will you have for your wedding?
    Definitely

We got married in May of last year. We played "Love Me Still". It was perfect. It has always been a favourite song of mine and my husband also loved it after I played it for him. We also saw Chaka together one year ago and we sat front row center and she surprisingly sang "Love Me Still". It felt like she was singing it to us. As much as I love this song, I can no longer listen to it without getting teary eyed, so I avoid it now lol.

Definitely

We got married in May of last year. We played "Love Me Still". It was perfect. It has always been a favourite song of mine and my husband also loved it after I played it for him. We also saw Chaka together one year ago and we sat front row center and she surprisingly sang "Love Me Still". It felt like she was singing it to us. As much as I love this song, I can no longer listen to it without getting teary eyed, so I avoid it now lol.
    That's a wonderful story, Carlo! Congratulations and best to you and your hubby!

That's a wonderful story, Carlo! Congratulations and best to you and your hubby!
    Thank you PeaceNHarmony

I love "Sugar" and this new single is pretty good too! Definitely suits Chaka. Old school soul-funk-disco with modern touches. And sorry carlo, but I'm not interested in Chaka doing Joni Mitchell, no way LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I love "Sugar" and this new single is pretty good too! Definitely suits Chaka. Old school soul-funk-disco with modern touches. And sorry carlo, but I'm not interested in Chaka doing Joni Mitchell, no way LOL.
    ACH!!!! Bite your tongue, young man [[):

Exhibit B:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    ACH!!!! Bite your tongue, young man [[):

LOL I thought I might get pulled up on that!! That song is pretty good I think what I meant to say is that I don't like the idea of Chaka doing a Joni Mitchell album, a la folk jazz. You know I love making assumptions sans

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I gotta say that the new single has definitely grown on me during the last few days. I still think the live performance didn't sound great but I'm sure a lot of that had to do with her choice to sing it live [[props to her) in the streets, where the sound setup likely worked against her. Sugar is pretty good. It's hard for me to not love her music. Lol.