[REMOVE ADS]

Christmas Concerts in Detroit 1967

Christmas in Detroit 1967!!!.....

Name:  Motortown-Revue.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  45.0 KB

What a fun poster to have. Interesting how either Stevie Wonder or the Miracles were the headliners [[1st 5 days/2nd 5 days) and the Marvelettes, Contours and the Pips were there for the entire run. I imagine many people attended both concert lineups. Love the Christmas colors and design of the poster.

I remember seeing the Fox Theatre back then and the long lines of people waiting to get in. This was when the Fox had its garish yellow marquee as on the cover of the "Motortown Revue Live" album which, although it included performances by mostly latter day Motown performers, the cover still showed a concert lineup from a few years before, more like the lineup in this poster.

Also I was a little surprised to see that the Contours were still touring with Motown as late as 1967. Of course because of the "Contours and Dennis Edwards" album, I realized how much they were still recording even if they weren't that active on the charts.

How I wish we had some live recordings of the Marvelettes during this time period. According to the poster, "When You're Young and in Love" must have been their most recent chart hit.

Wonderful find!
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-27-2018 at 05:48 PM.

There's a reproduction of this poster in the Hip-O-Select MOTORTOWN REVUE COLLECTION.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There's a reproduction of this poster in the Hip-O-Select MOTORTOWN REVUE COLLECTION.
    I knew it was familiar!

I`ve had my one framed - looks great! I just wish that this package would get revived on a more compact package with out takes.

Great poster, however, this is not the complete poster.

Underneath the Contours on the left the following were cropped:
    Chris Clark
    &
    Willie Tyler & Lester

Underneath the Gladys Knight & the Pips on the right the following were cropped:
    Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers

At the bottom across left to right this was cropped: Motown Recording Band

Sorry but mine is frame and too much of an effort to unframe, photograph, and reframe.

@woodward are you able to just snap a photo of it? Well I guess it’s in the booklet for the CD set anyway so I do have a photo of it somewhere anyway!

Until someone finds a better image: Name:  Motor-Town-Revue-Poster-Detroit-Fox-Theater-1965-1966.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  109.2 KBName:  motown posters 2.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  50.9 KB...and for the fans of Blinky...Name:  motown posters.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  58.0 KB

Hey thanks @WaitingWatching! Imagine $2.50 for the entire concert. Amazing!

The concert with Blinky on the bill must have been 1968. The 1967 poster says the show starts on "Saturday December 23". 1968 was a leap year, so that year Christmas was on a Wednesday [[instead of Monday as in 1967). The poster also states the New Year's Eve show is on a Tuesday, which would have been 1968. The similar design and close artist lineup also makes it seem the concert advertised in the second poster must have followed pretty closely on the 1967 poster.

Thanks again @waiting. Happy New Year!

Now I have an unrelated question. Did the Originals really record "Goodnite Irene" as it mentions in the poster for 1968? Is this the old folk song that the Weavers and many others sang?
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-30-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

The concert with Blinky on the bill must have been 1968. The 1967 poster says the show starts on "Saturday December 23". 1968 was a leap year, so that year Christmas was on a Wednesday [[instead of Monday as in 1967). The poster also states the New Year's Eve show is on a Tuesday, which would have been 1968. The similar design and close artist lineup also makes it seem the concert advertised in the second poster must have followed pretty closely on the 1967 poster.

Now I have an unrelated question. Did the Originals really record "Goodnite Irene" as it mentions in the poster for 1968? Is this the old folk song that the Weavers and many others sang?
    The poster with Blinky looks to be the same engagement that was recorded for the 1969 Motortown Revue Live album.

Re Goodnight Irene, it is the same song the Weavers sang.

@reese, "this is why I believe in you."

Happy New Year to you too!!!!