[REMOVE ADS]

Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child cast as Diana Ross in BET American Soul Bio-Pic

She joins Holly Robinson Peete as someone cast as Miss Ross who looks nothing like her or exudes the necessary "it" factor to portray her.

The only one who came even close to doing so was Beyonce portraying a fictionalized version of Miss Ross in the guise of "Deena Jones" in "Dreamgirls".

https://people.com/tv/michelle-willi...american-soul/

I agree, except, for my money, no one beats Sheryl Lee Ralph in the original Broadway cast. Grrrr.

I thought Valisia LeKae who played Diana in the original Broadway cast of MOTOWN THE MUSICAL captured Diana very well and in a natural way. I found Holly Robinson's portrayal close to laughable.

If you stretch your imagination enough, it's interesting that all 3 members of DC3 have now portrayed Diana [[or a form of Diana) in some way:

Beyonce' in "Dreamgirls"

Kelly, singing with Mary and Cindy at Motown 45

Michelle in "BET: American Soul"

And Beyoncé wasn’t so good and that Kelly affair was more frightful than the weather outside in the Christmas carol

Bianca Lawson was a good choice for Ross. Was it "The Temptations"? Given the budget of this project Michelle Williams is the best we could have hoped for, and she will just be part of the ensemble.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Bianca Lawson was a good choice for Ross. Was it "The Temptations"? Given the budget of this project Michelle Williams is the best we could have hoped for, and she will just be part of the ensemble.
    Was Bianca's role as Diana Ross in "The Temptations" in the scenes of the early Supremes/Primettes in those pretty street dresses singing on stage? I remember that Bianca had the Diana presence in all her mannerisms and at the time, I said, "wow."

I agree that Bianca should've played her. She's just two years older than Michelle, it could've worked.

What's interesting is Michelle Williams is 38 years old. Not sure what era of Diana she will play, but factually she'd be too old for the Supremes Era, or even the 70's solo Era.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    What's interesting is Michelle Williams is 38 years old. Not sure what era of Diana she will play, but factually she'd be too old for the Supremes Era, or even the 70's solo Era.
    Not sure how totally factual the show will be. I saw a tease of Kelly Rowland recreating a performance of Gladys Knight and the Pips performing MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA on SOUL TRAIN. Only thing is, they never performed that song on the show. Also, they have Gladys playing the piano. Now I believe Gladys can play somewhat, but I've never seen her do so on tv.

If they go for the time that Diana actually performed on the show, Michelle's age is about right as Diana was 37 at the time. But if they are recreating her first appearance just for an interview, Diana was around 29 or 30.

First pictures of Michelle as Diana at this link

https://people.com/tv/michelle-willi...-first-photos/

Lord, that's VONETTA MCGEE in the photo they're labeling as Diana-Back-in-the-Day. Inexcusable. They had one job. ONE.

As for Michelle, she looks like she could be any random person. I am unmoved.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Lord, that's VONETTA MCGEE in the photo they're labeling as Diana-Back-in-the-Day. Inexcusable. They had one job. ONE.

As for Michelle, she looks like she could be any random person. I am unmoved.
    That is a shame. I am constantly amazed by how often celebrities are misidentified, especially when they look nothing alike.

Ain't it mystifying? Must be some millennial on the job there. I guess they posted the first glamorous '70s Black lady with big eyes they found.

WHAT, that literally makes no sense. They could have picked the first result from a google image search of "Diana Ross" no!?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    WHAT, that literally makes no sense. They could have picked the first result from a google image search of "Diana Ross" no!?
    And that’s notoriously unreliable. That picks up any image on any webpage where “Diana Ross” is mentioned.

And that’s notoriously unreliable. That picks up any image on any webpage where “Diana Ross” is mentioned.
    But surely they would have most likely picked one that actually happened to be Diana!? It seems like a mistake that is, erm, quite difficult to make. How stupid eh sans.

Ain't it mystifying? Must be some millennial on the job there. I guess they posted the first glamorous '70s Black lady with big eyes they found.
    I've said for the longest time, most people under 40 don't know who Diana Ross is!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I've said for the longest time, most people under 40 don't know who Diana Ross is!
    And how many people under 40 know Mary Wilson. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    And how many people under 40 know Mary Wilson. Lol
    Exactly! I love it that you cannot mention Diana Ross without mentioning Mary Wilson! I've said for the longest that they, along with Berry Gordy are eternally attached in history.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    But surely they would have most likely picked one that actually happened to be Diana!? It seems like a mistake that is, erm, quite difficult to make. How stupid eh sans.
    Go figure, Tomato! This is an object lesson for those who pooh-pooh diversity in workplaces; you would think that someone of a certain age [[for example) on the editorial staff would have caught this immediately and saved them some embarrassment. But corporate America puts older workers out to pasture [[if they’re offered opportunities at all). And don’t get me started on ethnic, gender and religious diversity, either. This kind of lack of sensitivity/sensibility can hurt a business’s bottom line in the long run.
    Last edited by sansradio; 01-04-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Yeah, well, they don’t know who Vonetta McGee is, either, obviously.

I hope she can act cos she sure doesn’t have the class, beauty or glamour of Miss Ross. They should have asked me and be done with it!

Exactly! I love it that you cannot mention Diana Ross without mentioning Mary Wilson! I've said for the longest that they, along with Berry Gordy are eternally attached in history.
    No. I don't need to mention Mary Wilson when I talk about Diana Ross. I was just showing you how childish your comment was!! I don't mention Mary hardly ever. It is you that is obviously obsessed with Diana Ross! You claim to hate her so much. Yet you comment on practically every post that is about her! You really should seek help.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 01-04-2019 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    No. I don't need to mention Mary Wilson when I talk about Diana Ross. I was just showing you how childish your comment was!! I don't mention Mary hardly ever. It is you that is obviously obsessed with Diana Ross! You claim to hate her so much. Yet you comment on practically every post that is about her! You really should seek help.
    Oh come on. You love to talk about Mary Wilson. You can't help it! LOL! You were the one who brought her up in this thread. The proof is all here.

But you certainly keep Dianes name alive all day every day.

The Root's take on People's gaffe [[and their writer didn't recognize Vonetta, either!):

https://theglowup.theroot.com/people....1d6v5dec8owks

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    But you certainly keep Dianes name alive all day every day.
    What else would the #laughingstock have to live for? Be well in these stressful times, Ms. Roberta - I always feel ... peaceful ... when I see your screen name pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    What else would the #laughingstock have to live for? Be well in these stressful times, Ms. Roberta - I always feel ... peaceful ... when I see your screen name pop up.
    Bless you dear. The #laughingstock is more to be pitied than laughed at.