[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

50 Years of "Love Child"!

"Love Child" is now solidly middle-aged! LOL!

Lots of folks who dig Motown and this song have been born after its release and can not comprehend the sledgehammer effect it had at the time. It was literally the perfect pop record .....no air in it at all, nothing to tweak, it sounded like ten billion dollars on the radio in glorious Motown Mono. Today, with digitizing, mixing, stereoization and the like, peeps can still dig it - but not the way it was intended: to be played on car or transistor radios - where it sounded best. My original 45 was played so much, it’s grey.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Lots of folks who dig Motown and this song have been born after its release and can not comprehend the sledgehammer effect it had at the time. It was literally the perfect pop record .....no air in it at all, nothing to tweak, it sounded like ten billion dollars on the radio in glorious Motown Mono. Today, with digitizing, mixing, stereoization and the like, peeps can still dig it - but not the way it was intended: to be played on car or transistor radios - where it sounded best. My original 45 was played so much, it’s grey.
    Yup. Stated perfectly. Could be THE perfect Motown single.

It was a monster hit

I was six and a half months old when "Love Child" released on September 30, 1968.

just a classic, and i think this could be there biggest seller

While it’s never been among my favorites of the group’s songs [[DRATS songs never equaled true Supremes numbers, in my opinion), I would have to say it’s probably my favorite from the DRATS era, and without it the group might well have finished its run a good deal sooner than it did. Once the act was revamped as DRATS and after the departure of HDH, it fell into such a slump that it was going to take almost an act of God to revitalize it. We all know the story of Gordy’s sequestering “The Clan” [[Taylor, Richards, Wilson and Sawyer), basically holding them hostage in a hotel room without sleep until they came up with something to put DRATS back on top — or else. Perhaps they feared for their jobs if they didn’t deliver, but whatever the motivation, they created a winner. When the group debuted it on Sullivan, dressed in “guttersnipe” outfits and singing [[well, lip-syncing) about illegitimacy and premarital relations I really didn’t know what to think, and was actually amazed that it went to the top, thanks more to the music and production than to the “socially relevant” lyric, although I’m sure that helped, since the glitz’n’glam image of the group and its songs about romance and heartbreak had by then become awfully dated. [[Of course, after that came an even worse slump but that’s another story.)
    Last edited by BigAl; 12-29-2018 at 09:25 AM.

i think it's a great song and love it. but i will admit that it's a bit contrived. with Marvin's What's Going On not only was it a dynamic new sound from him but it was genuine. from his heart and you knew he truly cared about this

Diana's performance is classic but it's hard to reconcile their glamour girl and sequin image with this new sound and song. True during this time the girls endorsed Humphrey and they added the MLK speech to Somewhere. but still i never got a sense that the "group" wanted to do something different and important. It did seem that when Jean joined, the shift to more focus on peace love and humanity was genuine and therefore it worked. LC was a calculated effort to hit #1. and add some street cred. i think you could have had totally different lyrics about heartbreak and loss and kept the instrumental track and still probably have had a hit

I saw these guys at one private event few months ago [[https://bstars.eu/ organised it if I'm not mistaken)

I´m very glad that we have a live version of the song with all three real Supremes on Farewell, because it is a monster Hit, sadly only recorded by Diana Ross in the studio, so I prefer in studio versions Syreeta´s and I´m curious of The Blackberries version, which I never heard.

Diana does a superb vocal on this classic. Since no other Supreme was within miles of the recording studio it should really be considered a Diana solo. The 'other one' likes to claim it was one of her favorite records to make. Guess that hypnotist wasn't too good!

Billboard, for many purposes, does consider it and Someday We'll Be Together as Diana Ross songs for tallying #1 records.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Billboard, for many purposes, does consider it and Someday We'll Be Together as Diana Ross songs for tallying #1 records.
    I never heard that before except from you.

It’s credited to DIANA ROSS & The Supremes. Technically she does get the credit. With that being said, and Billboards rules, I’ve only seen articles and publications site 6 number ones. But technically she is credited for 8.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yup. Stated perfectly. Could be THE perfect Motown single.
    It's one of the greatest singles ever but I wouldn't call it that. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I never heard that before except from you.
    Doesn't matter. It technically is a Diana Ross solo record! No Mary or Cindy on the record.

He doesn’t like that Billboard rule

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It's one of the greatest singles ever but I wouldn't call it that. LOL
    I was just listening to it full blast in stereo. Damn, it’s so good. The Funk Brothers were such masters. To think they threw that thing together [[written, recorded, mixed, and released) within a week’s time is pretty damn impressive and for it to go number one and become their best selling single up to that time is even more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Diana does a superb vocal on this classic. Since no other Supreme was within miles of the recording studio it should really be considered a Diana solo. The 'other one' likes to claim it was one of her favorite records to make. Guess that hypnotist wasn't too good!
    Agreed. To all intents and purposes this was a Diana Ross solo single. She sounds superb on what is one of the defining late 60's Motown records.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I was just listening to it full blast in stereo. Damn, it’s so good. The Funk Brothers were such masters. To think they threw that thing together [[written, recorded, mixed, and released) within a week’s time is pretty damn impressive and for it to go number one and become their best selling single up to that time is even more impressive.
    One thing that hits me when I do play the track today: that intro and then the drama building up before Diana sings it. It takes you to an apartment in the ghetto where a woman is struggling to deal with what's become of her as she's out there lonely in the world with a child.

Understandably, radio stations weren't sure of playing it [[black and "white") because of the subject matter. Only when Berry threatened to pull all of his Motown catalog away from radio stations did they play it!

This was serious territory that Motown before had never attacked. But yeah when you put it like that, I see why it can be seen as the powerful performance Motown ever produced.
    Last edited by midnightman; 02-13-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    I´m very glad that we have a live version of the song with all three real Supremes on Farewell, because it is a monster Hit, sadly only recorded by Diana Ross in the studio, so I prefer in studio versions Syreeta´s and I´m curious of The Blackberries version, which I never heard.
    Yes indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think it's a great song and love it. but i will admit that it's a bit contrived. with Marvin's What's Going On not only was it a dynamic new sound from him but it was genuine. from his heart and you knew he truly cared about this

Diana's performance is classic but it's hard to reconcile their glamour girl and sequin image with this new sound and song. True during this time the girls endorsed Humphrey and they added the MLK speech to Somewhere. but still i never got a sense that the "group" wanted to do something different and important. It did seem that when Jean joined, the shift to more focus on peace love and humanity was genuine and therefore it worked. LC was a calculated effort to hit #1. and add some street cred. i think you could have had totally different lyrics about heartbreak and loss and kept the instrumental track and still probably have had a hit
    I totally agree. A great record, but a tad contrived. Diana was never a political girl and always appeared happier in something sparkly. She does sing the song with great conviction though but that has always been one of her major talents.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    One thing that hits me when I do play the track today: that intro and then the drama building up before Diana sings it. It takes you to an apartment in the ghetto where a woman is struggling to deal with what's become of her as she's out there lonely in the world with a child.

Understandably, radio stations weren't sure of playing it [[black and "white") because of the subject matter. Only when Berry threatened to pull all of his Motown catalog away from radio stations did they play it!

This was serious territory that Motown before had never attacked. But yeah when you put it like that, I see why it can be seen as the powerful performance Motown ever produced.
    Interesting post . I didn't know about Berry and radio play for the song

Thanks for posting Marv. I had my brother separate out the “background”. M and C sound pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks for posting Marv. I had my brother separate out the “background”. M and C sound pretty damn good.
    You are most welcome DET! They do a great job on this song.

I don't think including the missing verse would have made any difference to the song's success. The Syreeta demo doesn't have the "I'll always love you" on the fade out which I think really enhances the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    I find Syreeta's version to be kind of a hodgepodge. She seems to rush through the lyrics and to me the verses don't make as much of a throughline as in the Supremes' version. Her voice and delivery is flawless but to me her version of the song just doesn't make sense somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I find Syreeta's version to be kind of a hodgepodge. She seems to rush through the lyrics and to me the verses don't make as much of a throughline as in the Supremes' version. Her voice and delivery is flawless but to me her version of the song just doesn't make sense somehow.
    I agree. Syreeta's version left me stone cold. I find it to be an dull and empty experience. There is no soul or emotion there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I agree. Syreeta's version left me stone cold. I find it to be an dull and empty experience. There is no soul or emotion there.
    Syreeta’s voice on Love Child has a chipmunk quality to it.

She sounds alright. She just does not sound forceful enough for this type of song:

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Well stated. A stellar performance by Diana Ross and the Andantes that will never be topped.

An extended mix of LOVE CHILD with the rare verse originally left out of the hit version.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She sounds alright. She just does not sound forceful enough for this type of song:

To be fair to the lovely Syreeta, few or perhaps any who attempt to cover a Diana Ross song ever come out sounding better............me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    To be fair to the lovely Syreeta, few or perhaps any who attempt to cover a Diana Ross song ever come out sounding better............me thinks.
    Good point. There are technically better singers out there but no-one can grasp a lyric like her and make it into something truly unique and special . She has a fantastic gift for interpreting a song like no-one else before or since.

If I remember correctly, Syreeta didn't cover Love Child, she recorded the demo of it. Who knows how fast it was done in order to get it to Diana Ross to learn! I can't imagine that Syreeta recorded it expecting it to ever be heard, rather it was to be a vocal guide. I think we're pretty lucky that it was released and we are able to hear it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    If I remember correctly, Syreeta didn't cover Love Child, she recorded the demo of it. Who knows how fast it was done in order to get it to Diana Ross to learn! I can't imagine that Syreeta recorded it expecting it to ever be heard, rather it was to be a vocal guide. I think we're pretty lucky that it was released and we are able to hear it at all.
    Good point. When I listened to the song above for the first time, I wondered if this was just a demo that was not meant to be heard by us and she sang it without giving it her all, but just as a guide.

That being said, after Diana recorded the song, she owned it.

It was a great record...still is....that note the background singer hits! I always thought it sounded a tad bit slowed down on GHVol.3....I loved the song. I liked the 2nd performance I the pink suits better than the first....I remember when FAREWELL was released... I was so excited to see LC listed on the clear label sticker on the back of the shrink. Played it and thought OMG! what have they done! the racey Vegas arrangements ruined so much of the well known songs.

Did Syreeta record it as a demo for Diana?

I liked Syreeta's version, it wasn't amazing, but it was not bad at all. But, "Love Child" is Diana & The Supremes' song.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I liked Syreeta's version, it wasn't amazing, but it was not bad at all. But, "Love Child" is Diana & The Supremes' song.
    It’s actually a Diana Ross and Andantes song.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Did Syreeta record it as a demo for Diana?
    Thats a real interesting question Marv. Either way Syreta doesnt sound good on it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Which in turn makes it a Diana Ross solo record.

How about Its My Turn by Aretha?

y

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Sure, and "My Baby Loves Me" is actually a Martha Reeves and the Four Tops and the Andantes song. Good luck getting people to credit it that way. "Love Child" will remain in history as a Diana Ross and the Supremes song. No use waging a campaign against it 50 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post

How about Its My Turn by Aretha?

y
    That's a no for me Jack. My two favs covering each other is great in theory but not always in practice. Diana's "It's My Turn" is brilliant IMO. From the opening where it's just Diana's beautiful voice and minimal instrumentation, where she seems to be in a mental place of figuring out who she used to be vs who she is now and where she wants to go, to the musical buildup where she seems more forceful and sure of herself that it is indeed her turn. She turns in a great vocal performance. Heartfelt. I feel it. It's believable.

On the other hand, while IMO both Aretha and Diana are among the absolute best lyrical interpreters ever, Ree's version falls a bit flat for me. First mistake was the background singers. Unnecessary. It should have just been Aretha and the band. The background singers take away from the experience for me. Also the track seems slower than Diana's version and I don't think the slower pace works as well as Diana's at all. On top of that, where Diana comes across as a woman who is living the lyrics, the Queen comes across like she's simply singing what was handed to her. The way she approaches the song vocally makes it hard to believe that this is a woman who is only now figuring out that it's her turn. She sounds like a woman who's had this figured out for years now and that doesn't jive with the tone of the lyrics. There's no way Aretha's version tops Diana's, IMO. Of course it's not a bad cover. On it's own it's cool, for what it is and who it is. But it ultimately doesn't work as well.

However, Aretha's cover of "You Keep Me Hangin On" is great. Not better than the Supremes, but on it's own it's a great cover. Aretha brought her own thing to it but it meshed well with the lyrics, something that didn't happen on "It's My Turn".

Regarding “it’s my turn”, Aretha’s version of this song is the perfect example of why a bigger voice doesn’t always mean a better singer. Now I’m not saying that Diana is a better singer, but in the case of this song, Diana’s phrasing and overall feeling is much more heartfelt than Aretha’s.
    Last edited by khansperac; 07-22-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Which in turn makes it a Diana Ross solo record.
    So true. I agree 💯

I didn't even think about it not actually being a Diana & The Supremes song... it just is, even if it isn't, if that makes any sense at all.

It's just like how the DJ announces it in the first clip in this thread. To the rest of the World, it is a "Supremes" song and record. Especially since Diana Ross was still one of the Supremes when it was recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sure, and "My Baby Loves Me" is actually a Martha Reeves and the Four Tops and the Andantes song. Good luck getting people to credit it that way. "Love Child" will remain in history as a Diana Ross and the Supremes song. No use waging a campaign against it 50 years later.
    No waging a campaign against it. We all know it was credited to Diana Ross and the Supremes! Just stating the facts that Mary and Cindy are not on the record. Since there are some Supremes fans who state they only like the records due to the background of the Supremes.