[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight And The Pips "On And On: The Buddah/Columbia Anthology" 2019-02-15

Description
    SoulMusic Records is very proud to present “On & On: The Buddah/Columbia Anthology,” a hit-filled 2-CD by the iconic Gladys Knight & The Pips, whose international appeal spanned over three decades from the mid-60s to the mid-80s.

This 37-track collection of recordings by the legendary family group [[Gladys, brother Merald ‘Bubba’ Knight and cousins William Guest and Edward Patten) focuses on a particularly successful period of their consistent presence as mainstay global hitmakers from 1973-1985.

Initially achieving US acclaim in the early ‘60s with ‘Every Beat Of My Heart’ and ‘Letter Full Of Tears’, the group’s dynamic stage act [[with nifty choreography and distinctive harmonies) resulted in a 1966 contract with Motown Records and while some key hits provided a great platform for international exposure, by the early-’70s, Gladys & The Pips were ready to experience a new level of mainstream recognition.

Disc One of this anthology chronicles the group’s five-year run of non-stop hits for Buddah Records, including the timeless ‘Midnight Train To Georgia’, ‘Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me’ and a live medley of ‘The Way We Were’ and ‘Try To Remember’. Drawn from eight Buddah albums that included production by Curtis Mayfield, Tony Camillo and Van McCoy among others, “The Buddah Years” features over a dozen charted singles and an alternate mix of ‘Make Yours A Happy Home’ from the Claudine soundtrack.

Disc Two chronicles the group’s five years with Columbia Records during which they initially reunited with Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson [[with whom they had worked at Motown), resulting in further hits such as ‘Landlord’ and ‘Taste Of Bitter Love’. Further success came with ‘Save The Overtime [[For Me)’, ‘You’re Number One [[In My Book)’ and an early version of the pop classic ‘Wind Beneath My Wings’.

A first-of-its-kind comprehensive collection drawn from both Buddah and Columbia albums by the group, it includes all [[22) US charted hits released over a twelve-year span.

Liner notes by renowned US writer Kevin Goins include quotes from former Buddah executive Cecil Holmes, songwriter Jim Weatherley, arranger/musician Ray Chew and producer / songwriter Charles Kipps; with remastering by Nick Robbins and artwork by Roger Williams.
    Tracklist

[CD1: The Makings Of You – The Buddah Years [[1973-1978)]
    1. The Way We Were / Try To Remember
    2. Midnight Train To Georgia
    3. I’ve Got To Use My Imagination
    4. Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me
    5. Where Peaceful Waters Flow
    6. Onandon
    7. To Be Invisible
    8. The Makings Of You
    9. Make Yours A Happy Home [[Alternate Mix)
    10. I Feel A Song [[In My Heart)
    11. Love Finds It’s Own Way
    12. The Need To Be
    13. Part Time Love
    14. So Sad The Song
    15. Everybody’s Got To Find A Way
    16. Little Bit Of Love
    17. Baby Don’t Change Your Mind
    18. Walk Softly
    19. Come Back And Finish What You Started
    20. It’s A Better Than Good Time

[CD2: We Need Hearts – The Columbia Years [[1980-1985)]
    1. Landlord
    2. Taste Of Bitter Love
    3. Still Such A Thing
    4. Get The Love
    5. Additup
    6. Bourgie’, Bourgie’
    7. We Need Hearts
    8. I Will Fight
    9. A Friend Of Mine
    10. Reach High
    11. When You’re Far Away
    12. Save The Overtime [[For Me)
    13. You’re Number One [[In My Book)
    14. Seconds
    15. You’ve Got My Word On That
    16. Kiss Away The Pain
    17. Hero [[aka Wind Beneath My Wings)

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Description
    SoulMusic Records is very proud to present “On & On: The Buddah/Columbia Anthology,” a hit-filled 2-CD by the iconic Gladys Knight & The Pips, whose international appeal spanned over three decades from the mid-60s to the mid-80s.

This 37-track collection of recordings by the legendary family group [[Gladys, brother Merald ‘Bubba’ Knight and cousins William Guest and Edward Patten) focuses on a particularly successful period of their consistent presence as mainstay global hitmakers from 1973-1985.

Initially achieving US acclaim in the early ‘60s with ‘Every Beat Of My Heart’ and ‘Letter Full Of Tears’, the group’s dynamic stage act [[with nifty choreography and distinctive harmonies) resulted in a 1966 contract with Motown Records and while some key hits provided a great platform for international exposure, by the early-’70s, Gladys & The Pips were ready to experience a new level of mainstream recognition.

Disc One of this anthology chronicles the group’s five-year run of non-stop hits for Buddah Records, including the timeless ‘Midnight Train To Georgia’, ‘Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me’ and a live medley of ‘The Way We Were’ and ‘Try To Remember’. Drawn from eight Buddah albums that included production by Curtis Mayfield, Tony Camillo and Van McCoy among others, “The Buddah Years” features over a dozen charted singles and an alternate mix of ‘Make Yours A Happy Home’ from the Claudine soundtrack.

Disc Two chronicles the group’s five years with Columbia Records during which they initially reunited with Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson [[with whom they had worked at Motown), resulting in further hits such as ‘Landlord’ and ‘Taste Of Bitter Love’. Further success came with ‘Save The Overtime [[For Me)’, ‘You’re Number One [[In My Book)’ and an early version of the pop classic ‘Wind Beneath My Wings’.

A first-of-its-kind comprehensive collection drawn from both Buddah and Columbia albums by the group, it includes all [[22) US charted hits released over a twelve-year span.

Liner notes by renowned US writer Kevin Goins include quotes from former Buddah executive Cecil Holmes, songwriter Jim Weatherley, arranger/musician Ray Chew and producer / songwriter Charles Kipps; with remastering by Nick Robbins and artwork by Roger Williams.
    Tracklist

[CD1: The Makings Of You – The Buddah Years [[1973-1978)]
    1. The Way We Were / Try To Remember
    2. Midnight Train To Georgia
    3. I’ve Got To Use My Imagination
    4. Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me
    5. Where Peaceful Waters Flow
    6. Onandon
    7. To Be Invisible
    8. The Makings Of You
    9. Make Yours A Happy Home [[Alternate Mix)
    10. I Feel A Song [[In My Heart)
    11. Love Finds It’s Own Way
    12. The Need To Be
    13. Part Time Love
    14. So Sad The Song
    15. Everybody’s Got To Find A Way
    16. Little Bit Of Love
    17. Baby Don’t Change Your Mind
    18. Walk Softly
    19. Come Back And Finish What You Started
    20. It’s A Better Than Good Time

[CD2: We Need Hearts – The Columbia Years [[1980-1985)]
    1. Landlord
    2. Taste Of Bitter Love
    3. Still Such A Thing
    4. Get The Love
    5. Additup
    6. Bourgie’, Bourgie’
    7. We Need Hearts
    8. I Will Fight
    9. A Friend Of Mine
    10. Reach High
    11. When You’re Far Away
    12. Save The Overtime [[For Me)
    13. You’re Number One [[In My Book)
    14. Seconds
    15. You’ve Got My Word On That
    16. Kiss Away The Pain
    17. Hero [[aka Wind Beneath My Wings)
    Glad to hear this has been finally scheduled. We have been waiting for it for quite some time.Thanks for the heads up Jack.

No "Send It To Me"? I would love to have the extended version on CD I suppose this particular track is more difficult to license, due to the Miami Vice tie-in...

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    No "Send It To Me"? I would love to have the extended version on CD I suppose this particular track is more difficult to license, due to the Miami Vice tie-in...
    SEND IT TO ME was their first release on MCA. I loved that record, and thought it would be a much bigger record than it was. There are a few different versions as well. I think one doesn't include the Pips on backup.

I like the track listing but it is missing one of my favorites, "My Time" from 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    SEND IT TO ME was their first release on MCA.
    Ahhh, then the omission from this compilation makes sense. Thanks Reese!

I am happy to see this series continuing because I have snatched up several of the others. However, I am not sure I will buy either the Regina or this Gladys. I just never bonded that much with Regina and as for Gladys, it was never the same for me after they left Motown. If the price is right somewhere, I "might" change my mind but I doubt it.

But by all means, keep them coming if there are still some artists out there that have not yet been honored.

For me one of the best lps post-Motown was the collaboration with Van McCoy on Still Together.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    For me one of the best lps post-Motown was the collaboration with Van McCoy on Still Together.
    Yes this is also a favorite of mine. I love their collaboration with Van McCoy.