[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - Gettin' Ready For Love [[Single Mix)

Which CDs contain the Single Mix?

Last edited by smallworld; 12-10-2018 at 05:27 PM.

This is one of the best records she ever made.

Great song. Also love the alternate vocal on the expanded edition.
    From the Richard Perry Q&A:

Q: Motown waited over a month before releasing a single, and radio stations had
    already picked up on some of the dance tracks, including “Your Love Is So Good For
    Me” and “Top Of The World.” Legend has it that Berry Gordy wanted “Gettinʼ Ready
    For Love” to be the first single and thatʼs what they went with. Was that your
    preference?
    A: Absolutely! It just sounded like an obvious smash - a great combination of melody
    and lyrics combined with Diana's jazz-influenced performance. Shortly after I had
    finished it, I went up to Berry's house with the final mix. It was Smokey's birthday and
    everybody was there. They started blasting it and everyone was dancing and freaking
    out.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post

already picked up on some of the dance tracks, including “Your Love Is So Good For
    Me” and “Top Of The World.” Legend has it that Berry Gordy wanted “Gettinʼ Ready
    preference?
    A: Absolutely! It just sounded like an obvious smash - a great combination of melody
    and lyrics combined with Diana's jazz-influenced performance. Shortly after I had
    finished it, I went up to Berry's house with the final mix. It was Smokey's birthday and
    everybody was there. They started blasting it and everyone was dancing and freaking
    out.
    I can imagine - a superb record all around. Shoulda been a classic hit. I envy your memories!

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post

preference?
    out.
    That was the right choice for the first single and I believed it was released at the best time [[Fall of the year). It got huge amounts of radio play in the Detroit area on a variety of stations.

This song only appears on the CD Baby It's Me and both the original Anthology and The Motown Anthology which are in stereo. There is a mono version also which appears on her Forever, Diana Musical Memoirs 4CD Boxset. I am sure the single would have been in stereo as it was released in 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by noel181 View Post
    This song only appears on the CD Baby It's Me and both the original Anthology and The Motown Anthology which are in stereo. There is a mono version also which appears on her Forever, Diana Musical Memoirs 4CD Boxset. I am sure the single would have been in stereo as it was released in 1977.
    Thanks for the reply. I'd read about the original Anthology and Forever Diana, though I had no idea the track isn't even in stereo on the latter set.. Curiously, The Motown Anthology uses the LP version.

Quote Originally Posted by noel181 View Post
    It was. I have the UK single and it’s both stereo and clearly a single mix which, back in the late 70s meant that energy and general oomph took precedence over hi fi. In fact it almost qualifies as rough sounding but, as a result, it kicks ass.

Great track. Bouncy and joyful plus it’s got a great melody.

Perhaps too much information [[if there is such a thing on a Diana/Supremes topic). I believe that mix was only released in the US on a white label promo 45. When I bought the US single it was the album mix. When they put that original CD Anthology together I suggested they use the promo single mix and they did. But I was disappointed that they faded it too soon as the promo has a longer fade than the LP. They actually pushed the fade on several songs on disc 2 of that collection for time. That Anthology also originally contained "We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again" but someone from Mr. Gordy's office asked that it be replaced with "My Man."

Notes for a promo listing at Discogs assert that it came in a plain white sleeve with the text "Hot new re-mix". The listed time is 2:52.

https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-G...elease/6899350

George, does the mix you described with the extended fade appear on the Diana Anthology LP set from 1983? I remember being disappointed that the CD anthology didn’t have the same version...

"Getting ready for love" is an exciting song and it has aged extremely well. In fact in 1978 it was an odd song, too jazzy, too old fashioned. Donna Summer had a moderate hit with "I remember yesterday" and I wasn't very happy that Diana did't embraced disco at full.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    George, does the mix you described with the extended fade appear on the Diana Anthology LP set from 1983? I remember being disappointed that the CD anthology didn’t have the same version...
    Yes, pretty sure that mix was on the vinyl Anthology with the extended fade. [[maybe 6 seconds longer). The first place I ever found it on CD was the UK release Portrait Of Diana Ross Volume 2.

I love it, but I felt it would have format issues - and it did. I was living in SF at the time and never heard it once on any station. I think The Same Love That Made Me Laugh with a radio edit or Top of a The World were better lead offs - they would have hit and then Gettin’ Ready would have had its foot in the door.

‘’And I love this mix!!!

Richard Perry was a bad boy! The musicians were top notched and the strings really make it all work. Her best record in my opinion.

I think GRFL is a cute little pop song with some nice jazzy overtones.I don't think it ever had the potential to become a HUGE hit or blow joe public away.
    For me there are no pop hits on the album which most certainly does not make it a bad one. In fact it is a very good one, possibly a little to sophisticated for the pop charts.
    For the UK at least i think motown should have taken a chance with "To Shy To Say". A superb song and one of Diana's most memorable vocals ever.

I agree Ollie9, this song should have been released as a single in the UK. I'm sure it would have been a sizable hit and, for me, a great follow up to GRFL.

Slightly off-topic; I think Diana would have nailed Stevie's Blame It On The Sun from Talking Book.

She recorded and included Blame It On The Sun on the Force Behind The Power LP. You are correct; it suits Diana well...

Sorry folks, I was getting my Stevie songs mixed up - I really meant to say You And I from Talking Book.

I agree JohnnyB - she does sing BIOTS really well too!

Now wouldn't a Diana Sings Stevie make for a great album

I love this song, it's jazzy and soulful but still with great pop potential in my opinion. Definitely an underrated Diana song.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I love this song, it's jazzy and soulful but still with great pop potential in my opinion. Definitely an underrated Diana song.
    It's pop potential was fully tested by motown Tom. It charted at 27 in the USA and 23 in the UK despite getting plenty of radio airplay. Not a flop by any means, but also not a great showing for a lead single.

[QUOTE=rovereab;493259]Sorry folks, I was getting my Stevie songs mixed up - I really meant to say You And I from Talking Book.

I think Diana would have nailed "You And I" roverreab. The one Stevie song i so wish Diana had recorded is "If It's Magic". The lyrics are timeless and it sounds tailor-made for Diana's voice.
    Talking of "You And I", the "You and I" Diana recorded for FBTP is my favourite song from that album. Great lyrics that Stevie himself might have written.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I agree Ollie9, this song should have been released as a single in the UK. I'm sure it would have been a sizable hit and, for me, a great follow up to GRFL.

Slightly off-topic; I think Diana would have nailed Stevie's Blame It On The Sun from Talking Book.
    It would have been an even bigger hit here in the U.S., but as I recall there was a huge flood of great music being released from roughly September 1977- August 1978. It was crazy but good. Still this recording by Diana Ross ranks as one of her overall best in all regards in my opinion.

In the UK, the song was released at least twice on TMG 1090. Look in the run-out to see the matrix number. If I remember correctly, the A2 mix has the tambourine

i don't know what mix was used for the 20 Golden Greats compilation from 79, but the song appears to have a lot more oomph then the album version. The bass is cranked up and i think perhaps handclaps were added??.