[REMOVE ADS]

Cindy Birdsong "God Gave the Song" + Interview

Forgive me if this has been posted before. I did a non exhaustive search on the site but didn't see it. Some great footage here of Cindy doing her thing. Her beautiful spirit shines throughout the interview and performance. I hope she is well.

I've been vocal about my opinion that Cindy was one of those singers who wasn't a lead singer. She was good for background harmony and she obviously had a beautiful voice and was vocally talent, hence why she was a member of two legendary groups with two legendary vocalists as lead singers. But she didn't have the necessary tools to handle a song's lyrics alone. I now revise my opinion. It's clear to me from this performance of "God Gave the Song" that Cindy is perfectly capable of singing lead/solo. I still think she could never have done well singing the kind of music her singing groups were singing. She doesn't sound to me like she has the capabilities of selling an R&B or pop/soul song. I'm sticking with that. But maybe she should have gone into the inspirational music format. It also seems like she may have had good acting skills based on her dramatic spoken part of this song. Maybe she should have done some MOR stuff. And with that sweet voice she has and that sweet spirit, she should've looked into maybe having a children's television show. Anyway, bottom line, this is my favorite Cindy vocal by far. Now I truly see possibilities in her voice that I didn't with the little bit of leading she did as a Supreme or the couple of solos post Supremes.

Yes she really lets go on this. My hunch is she never had the confidence til this time of her life. She was always been pretty much in the background and I think what she had been through in her life and her faith helped her to become bold and let loose and shine! I also once saw a video of her officiating at a funeral and she is a gifted preacher.

I did get to spend an afternoon with her in the 80's/90's[[??) when "Dancing Room" as released as a single and the late Bernard Jay [[who also managed Divine) was her manager; she is an absolute darling and a total pleasure. God Bless Cindy Birdsong..

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I've been vocal about my opinion that Cindy was one of those singers who wasn't a lead singer. She was good for background harmony and she obviously had a beautiful voice and was vocally talent, hence why she was a member of two legendary groups with two legendary vocalists as lead singers. But she didn't have the necessary tools to handle a song's lyrics alone. I now revise my opinion. It's clear to me from this performance of "God Gave the Song" that Cindy is perfectly capable of singing lead/solo. I still think she could never have done well singing the kind of music her singing groups were singing. She doesn't sound to me like she has the capabilities of selling an R&B or pop/soul song. I'm sticking with that. But maybe she should have gone into the inspirational music format. It also seems like she may have had good acting skills based on her dramatic spoken part of this song. Maybe she should have done some MOR stuff. And with that sweet voice she has and that sweet spirit, she should've looked into maybe having a children's television show. Anyway, bottom line, this is my favorite Cindy vocal by far. Now I truly see possibilities in her voice that I didn't with the little bit of leading she did as a Supreme or the couple of solos post Supremes.
    In an interview for a book on girl groups, Cindy mentioned that her original dream was to be an actress, and singing was her way to getting in the business and hopefully acting.

When she left the group in 1976, I recall at least one interview saying it was to be an actress. I believe she then starred in a play in California around that time.

In this performance Cindys voice sounds a combination of Jean and Susaye. If Cindy had stayed with the group, i wonder how she would have sounded on that final album if given the Susaye Greene leads. I certainly think she could have handled "Come Into My life".

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In an interview for a book on girl groups, Cindy mentioned that her original dream was to be an actress, and singing was her way to getting in the business and hopefully acting.

When she left the group in 1976, I recall at least one interview saying it was to be an actress. I believe she then starred in a play in California around that time.
    I remember seeing pictures of her in the play. I think it was called "One Last Look". I am not sure now as it has been many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    In this performance Cindys voice sounds a combination of Jean and Susaye. If Cindy had stayed with the group, i wonder how she would have sounded on that final album if given the Susaye Greene leads. I certainly think she could have handled "Come Into My life".
    I think she would have sounded great on that. I have video somewhere when she appeard on the Regis Philben Show in about 1987. She sang a medley of Supremes hits and her current single "Dancing Room" or another one of her solo efforts. Sounded good.

Ok the other song she did on the Regis show was called "Ready For You".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think she would have sounded great on that. I have video somewhere when she appeard on the Regis Philben Show in about 1987. She sang a medley of Supremes hits and her current single "Dancing Room" or another one of her solo efforts. Sounded good.
    I do wonder whether Cindy would have been allowed a solo had she still been in the group for that last Supremes album. I think Mary by right of being an original Supreme was entitled to some of the leads and Scherrie was and still is a superb lead vocalist.The fact that Cindy had no leads on "High Energy makes me think not. Adding to that there was Pedro......

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I do wonder whether Cindy would have been allowed a solo had she still been in the group for that last Supremes album. I think Mary by right of being an original Supreme was entitled to some of the leads and Scherrie was and still is a superb lead vocalist.The fact that Cindy had no leads on "High Energy makes me think not. Adding to that there was Pedro......
    I think that decision would have been more up to the producers , The Holland Brothers than Pedro Ferrer.

I think that decision would have been more up to the producers , The Holland Brothers than Pedro Ferrer.
    I would like to think so, but i'm sure Mary and Pedro played a major role in deciding who was going to sing lead on what song for those final albums. It would be interesting to know how Cindy felt about things during her time with the Supremes. I don't suppose we will ever get that book now.

Mary did say in her book Cindy was upset she didn’t have more solos.

we DO know that Cindy regrets allowing herself to be talked out of RTL and money that she certainly could have used in the days that followed..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    we DO know that Cindy regrets allowing herself to be talked out of RTL and money that she certainly could have used in the days that followed..
    It would not have worked if Mary Wilson was not there. Berry Gordy tried to negotiate with SFX on behalf of Mary and Cindy,but to no avail.

I see what you mean about a children's television show.

The presentation and topic made me think of this:

Peter Pan

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I see what you mean about a children's television show.

The presentation and topic made me think of this:

Peter Pan
    That is interesting to see considering that it did not go out as a color broadcast at the time. I believe most television sets were still black and white by 1960. Thanks Boogiedown

It would not have worked if Mary Wilson was not there. Berry Gordy tried to negotiate with SFX on behalf of Mary and Cindy,but to no avail.
    I did not go to RTL because I never heard of those 2 gals who claimed to be part of "Diana Ross and the Supremes." However, now I regret not going. And, I certainly would have gone without reservation had Cindy been included. I did not need Mary to be willing to spend a good part of my salary.

Diana Ross produced RTL with TNT footing the bill. They had no say who was in it. It was Ross’ show and her decision alone.

Whoever told you that was lying. Berry had no reason to negotiate with SFX - they were ready to sign them and tried for two months - upping the ante at Ross’ request. The 4 million offer was presented with a ten day deadline, it passed and Diana went with the other two. Upon hearing that, Mary accepted, but the train had left the station, and Miss Ross was the engineeer. Mary knows she blew it, She didn’t like being given an ultimatum and pushed the envelope - but, unfortunately for all concerned, that envelope contained diana ross and you can only push her so far and mary wilson of all people should know that. The only person berry Gordy would have talked to on behalf of Mary and Cindy, is diana ross.

Either way, it was a bad idea. I do not believe that Diana and mary would’ve gotten along for that big long tour because I think that Diana had no interest or emotional feeling for mary except resentment and hurt, and there’s no question that Mary is resentful of Diana and once again Cindy would’ve been stuck in the middle, and she didn’t like that The first time around. However, with hindsight being 2020, this time around Diana and Cindy would’ve had no problem because Cindy was onto Mary’s real agenda…… And these are words spoken directly to me by Cindy. You can ask any former supreme how Mary spoke of Diana and when they were in the group together…… I don’t think any of them would be able to think of a kind and supportive caring loving or positive comment Mary made to any 70s supreme about Diana. I am speculating because not every 70 supreme has told me this…… But 3 have. I highly doubt the other two I would’ve had other experiences. Which is neither here nor there except that Mary does not like Diana and after the book I don’t believe diana liked Mary...So them touring together was not going to go down well anyway so might as well have just work out the way it did…… Who knows it could’ve been worse! LOL!!!!!

Listening to Cindys wonderful vocal on this song makes me think that perhaps motown should have replaced Jean with another Diana type vocalist in the vein of Jean herself or Syreeta.
    Scherrie is a fantastic vocalist and a great lead singer but was she the right lead singer for what joe public generally perceived as the Supremes sound.
    Susaye Greene had the right sound, but i dont know if her vocals were good enough to be lead singer?
    That aside, why Cindy was so undersued during all her years within the group is a complete mystery to me.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 01-01-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Diana Ross produced RTL with TNT footing the bill. They had no say who was in it. It was Ross’ show and her decision alone.

Whoever told you that was lying. Berry had no reason to negotiate with SFX - they were ready to sign them and tried for two months - upping the ante at Ross’ request. The 4 million offer was presented with a ten day deadline, it passed and Diana went with the other two. Upon hearing that, Mary accepted, but the train had left the station, and Miss Ross was the engineeer. Mary knows she blew it, She didn’t like being given an ultimatum and pushed the envelope - but, unfortunately for all concerned, that envelope contained diana ross and you can only push her so far and mary wilson of all people should know that. The only person berry Gordy would have talked to on behalf of Mary and Cindy, is diana ross.

Either way, it was a bad idea. I do not believe that Diana and mary would’ve gotten along for that big long tour because I think that Diana had no interest or emotional feeling for mary except resentment and hurt, and there’s no question that Mary is resentful of Diana and once again Cindy would’ve been stuck in the middle, and she didn’t like that The first time around. However, with hindsight being 2020, this time around Diana and Cindy would’ve had no problem because Cindy was onto Mary’s real agenda…… And these are words spoken directly to me by Cindy. You can ask any former supreme how Mary spoke of Diana and when they were in the group together…… I don’t think any of them would be able to think of a kind and supportive caring loving or positive comment Mary made to any 70s supreme about Diana. I am speculating because not every 70 supreme has told me this…… But 3 have. I highly doubt the other two I would’ve had other experiences. Which is neither here nor there except that Mary does not like Diana and after the book I don’t believe diana liked Mary...So them touring together was not going to go down well anyway so might as well have just work out the way it did…… Who knows it could’ve been worse! LOL!!!!!
    RTL was a beautifully conceived show and it's a shame Cindy was not a part of it. Mary-Miss-Malcontent poisoned Cindy's decision-making and lost Cindy's last chance for a big paycheck. [[Mary's as well - and we all know how that ended up.) Mary was Omarosa before Omarosa, but not nearly as successful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    RTL was a beautifully conceived show and it's a shame Cindy was not a part of it. Mary-Miss-Malcontent poisoned Cindy's decision-making and lost Cindy's last chance for a big paycheck. [[Mary's as well - and we all know how that ended up.) Mary was Omarosa before Omarosa, but not nearly as successful.
    It was a hot mess, if Diana had wanted Mary she’d have got her ..simple.
    Cindy as an adult was more than capable of making her own mind up and if she now believes it was the wrong decision...tough.
    Rtl was badly handled from conception til it’s premature death

Diana wouldn’t talk to Mary and then she wouldn’t give her a break if she was a little late with a deadline. Give me a break. Mary was blessed not to have to put up with her for a tour.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Diana wouldn’t talk to Mary and then she wouldn’t give her a break if she was a little late with a deadline. Give me a break. Mary was blessed not to have to put up with her for a tour.
    SMH that a clip of Cindy discusing her music and love of the Lord has the usual suspects carping on about the 19 year old RTL tour. Dianas moved on and Mary and Cindy have both moved on but not you. LMAO, It's pathetic IMO.

Here we go again. It just never dies. It’s time to drop it and move on

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    "Too Late! The train has already left the station...." - Diana Ross, 2000.

And the train ran over itself!

Though RTL was not a success the fact is that even with a short run the dates sold more tickets and made more money than any other Supreme ever made in their entire post-Supremes career.