[REMOVE ADS]

Don Webster one of Cleveland’s most popular TV personalities, has passed at 79

Hi All: Don Webster one of Cleveland’s most popular TV personalities, has passed at 79.
    Many of you may know that Don Webster was born in Canada and worked a lot in Hamilton, Ontario.
    Webster was brought to Cleveland to host a local music and dance program called The Big 5 Show. The show was a success, doing so well that in 1966, it was syndicated nationally under the title Upbeat. The show had been able to draw many big names in the music industry to Cleveland to perform on the show. RIP Don.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2018/12/don-webster-one-of-clevelands-most-popular-tv-personalities-has-died-at-79.html

I remember Don Webster and I remember "Upbeat". He had some of the best music guests in history. Rest in peace Don and thank you!

Marv

I was FLOORED when I came home from work and turned to Channel 5 and saw this....

I can tell you that Upbeat was the "bees knees" and the local version of American Bandstand....

Used to come on at 1:00 on Sundays [[I think), and if you were already indoors, you STAYED there until it was over...I think it was aired at 5:00 on Saturdays too, so we RAN HOME to catch it.....

Webster was a staple here in C-Town....better weatherman than the others too.....and if you didn't watch Academic Challenge [[our school was featured many years ago - yeah we lost, lol!), at least ONCE in your life, you were just "out of touch"....

May he rest in peace...

I was born after Upbeat ended, but I do remember Don Webster doing the weather on the evening news and Academic Challenge which aired Saturday evenings. He was with the station for 35 years, retiring in 1999.

This clip was shown yesterday. It's a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I was born after Upbeat ended, but I do remember Don Webster doing the weather on the evening news and Academic Challenge which aired Saturday evenings. He was with the station for 35 years, retiring in 1999.

This clip was shown yesterday. It's a hoot.
    That was funny. I miss Cleveland sometimes. I had so much fun down at The Flats,but it's been years now. Thanks Brad.