[REMOVE ADS]

Question on SOUL label initial 45rpm releases.

A small question regarding early SOUL 45rpm releases. When the first SOUL 45 came out - Devil with the Blue Grass by Shorty Long.

Was the sleeve a plain white generic sleeve? I believe that later issues had the sleeves with various album covers displayed on them. I have never seen a sleeve specifically designed for the SOUL label releases.

Can someone confirm this for me? Thanks.

Not sure Woody. It might've come in the legendary "Hitsville U.S.A." sleeves that were the standard in 1964. The title is "Devil With The Blue Dress".

Here is the single in question:

http://www.45cat.com/record/35001

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  21.1 KB
    I bought it new in Chicago, in 1964. It came out in light brown/beige, blank generic paper record sleeves. I saw boxes of it at distributors in Chicagoland, Detroit, L.A., and San Francisco Bay Area. It was always in a generic brown sleeve.

The Motown "advertising [[LP photo) sleeves" didn't start until late 1965, as far as I remember. Certainly, they weren't around in mid 1964. Motown's earliest company 45 sleeves [[other than special sleeves for hits) were the red and blue Motown record-player design, and Tamla black 1890s old-fashioned bicycle design. Gordy, Soul and VIP came in generic, blank sleeves until the LP photo sleeves.
    Last edited by robb_k; 12-14-2018 at 12:32 AM.