[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I wonder who the Gaye's will sue next.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wonder who the Gaye's will sue next.
    Probably the Trumps!

Silly people. Suing and being vindicated and getting 5 million. They should give it all back ! I wonder who Robin will copy next!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Silly people. Suing and being vindicated and getting 5 million. They should give it all back ! I wonder who Robin will copy next!
    I look at it this way. I am certain that the late Alan Thicke left money from his work to Robin and his brothers. At least now Marvin Gaye's children can receive some benefit from HIS work!

Exactly. It’s not complicated!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Except that Marvin Gaye WAS credited as co-writer on "Million Dollar Baby"
    That was only after Marvin Gaye's Estate sued Robin Thicke over it!

The songwriting credits on the album went to Andre Harrell and Thicke. They’re still listed as the composers of “Million Dolla Baby” on the album credits at AllMusic.com. However, Gaye is listed as the sole composer on the ASCAP site, which may have been a result of the settlement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/..._entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Thanks Johnny, I didn't know that.
    What Johnny didn't say is that Marvin Gaye's family had to sue Robin Thicke over "Million Dolla Baby". Thicke only credited the songwriting to himself and Andre Harrell !

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That was only after Marvin Gaye's Estate sued Robin Thicke over it!

The songwriting credits on the album went to Andre Harrell and Thicke. They’re still listed as the composers of “Million Dolla Baby” on the album credits at AllMusic.com. However, Gaye is listed as the sole composer on the ASCAP site, which may have been a result of the settlement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/..._entertainment
    Whoa... didn't know that! Thought Marvin had always been credited. Definitely a result of the suit. The Gaye children did their damn homework!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes he did. It is an old legal trick that Al Jolson use to use in the 20s. Sue the person you are about to harm to prevent them from suing you later........
    That's why I can't get with folks who try to downplay this. The ones who would be mad if Pat Boone had for some reason STOLE Little Richard's composition rights for Tutti Frutti are thinking the Gayes are grifters... I... don't get that logic at all.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I wonder if Robin is talented. His follow up album bombed.
    He is talented. We have to remember when he did that album, which also slyly was also Marvin-ish in making a WHOLE album about his estranged, soon-to-be ex-wife, people had already turned on him because of Blurred Lines and him cheating on Paula so no one wanted to buy an album from him. Blurred Lines actually RUINED Robin's career but he really has no one to blame but himself. It wasn't like he was Elvis and he could shake off thrusting his pelvis...

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    If I remember correctly, I thought I read the judge barred musical experts from coming in to compare the songs on piano. By simply playing the two songs on a piano, it would have been very clear they are nothing alike and the ruling would have favored Thicke. The only thing Thicke stole was the sound of "Got To Give It Up" and that cannot be copyrighted.
    Nah, the experts were brought in. They couldn't play the music. Sony barred them from doing that.

I guess the Nat King Cole estate could sue the Gaye estate over stylistic appropriation, but I assume the Cole estate is far to classy.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Nah, the experts were brought in. They couldn't play the music. Sony barred them from doing that.
    That's it. They couldn't play the music on a piano. They should have because it would have ruled in favor of Thicke.

That's it. They couldn't play the music on a piano. They should have because it would have ruled in favor of Thicke.
    I had forgotten about that aspect of the trial and agree with you entirely. The songs as written bear no similarity though the intros have the same feel. It's looked upon by the industry as a bad ruling. Maybe Gary US Bonds can sue those greedy, griftin' Gayes claiming GTGIU was copied from Quarter To Three??
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 12-17-2018 at 04:54 PM.

I'm not even too sure of that, Brad... it's possible... but I'm not too sure.

To be fair, other decisions similar to this haven't gone to the person who sued them first.

I still say the reason the Gaye family won was due to Robin and Pharrell suing THEM first. If that hadn't been the case, maybe a suit wouldn't have happened.

I actually like that Bunny Sigler record & bought it[[the 45) back in '77. It had that party sound.Like Kal Mann at Cameo/Parkway Records said "they won't sue ya unless your records a hit"thus Mashed Potato Time which I didn't think was that similar to Please Mr. Postman.I did however think "The 81" by Candy & the Kisses was a direct rip off of "In My Lonely Room" by Martha & the Vandellas...but "81" was not a big hit.

There were definitely some similarities between MPT and Postman. Maybe not enough to sue but enough lol

I doubt they would decide TOL in the publisher's favor. It'll just be dismissed and no one would sue them. Marvin's family hasn't. Ed Townsend's family did first. Remember that when y'all keep bashing Marvin's children lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    There were definitely some similarities between MPT and Postman. Maybe not enough to sue but enough lol

I doubt they would decide TOL in the publisher's favor. It'll just be dismissed and no one would sue them. Marvin's family hasn't. Ed Townsend's family did first. Remember that when y'all keep bashing Marvin's children lol
    I don't get that either. I have never heard any negative about any of Marvin's children before and I've known of them since they were small kids. They all have been through a lot and I am just happy that they were successful in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I actually like that Bunny Sigler record & bought it[[the 45) back in '77. It had that party sound.Like Kal Mann at Cameo/Parkway Records said "they won't sue ya unless your records a hit"thus Mashed Potato Time which I didn't think was that similar to Please Mr. Postman.I did however think "The 81" by Candy & the Kisses was a direct rip off of "In My Lonely Room" by Martha & the Vandellas...but "81" was not a big hit.
    I GASP! You mean there's no lawsuit unless there's $$$ to be made? I'm sure it's ALL about artistic integrity

I don't care what the judge says. If you played "Got To Give It Up" and then "Blurred Lines" on a piano, you would easily realize they are not the same song or that "Blurred Lines" doesn't resemble "Got To Give It Up" in any sense. I'm with Thicke/Pharrell on this.
    I admit I don't know anything about writing music etc, but the very first time I heard Blurred Lines I thought it the music was a sample from Got To Give It Up.

What I wonder is what will ever be paid, how much, when, appeals, costs

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I thought the same. The case has been going on for years now; those g-g-Gayes will probably have big legal fees.

The USA is famous for excessive awards, famous for cases that go on forever, cases that bleed money from everyone with little getting to the clients, and appeals that go on forever ending with some settlement agreement barring any publicity and 90% of the money went to the lawyers, accountants and consultants.

Depends on the contract people have with the lawyers they hired.

It's going to get paid. Robin Thicke and Pharrell are hardly broke! The rest of your questions are none of your or our business. You should know that being in the legal field. The terms of a settlement are not discussed publicly usually.

The USA is famous for excessive awards...and 90% of the money went to the lawyers, accountants and consultants.
    Are we against that, Jobeterob? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    I admit I don't know anything about writing music etc, but the very first time I heard Blurred Lines I thought it the music was a sample from Got To Give It Up.
    That's because the arrangements are similar. The sound of "Blurred Lines" is copied from "Got To Give It Up." The actual song wasn't. I could take the "Hokey Pokey" and give it an arrangement that sounds exactly like "Baby Love." That doesn't mean the song was stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Are we against that, Jobeterob? LOL
    Yes generally the American system is one we frown on in Canada; it’s bad enough here but worse in the USA; it encourages litigation and there are always questions about where the money went.

There’s a lot great another USA but so much is done to excess as president twitterbox shows daily

That's because the arrangements are similar. The sound of "Blurred Lines" is copied from "Got To Give It Up." The actual song wasn't. I could take the "Hokey Pokey" and give it an arrangement that sounds exactly like "Baby Love." That doesn't mean the song was stolen.
    Yup. You got it.

Like I said, I don't know anything abut writing, producing, or arranging, music.

The USA is famous for excessive awards, famous for cases that go on forever, cases that bleed money from everyone with little getting to the clients, and appeals that go on forever ending with some settlement agreement barring any publicity and 90% of the money went to the lawyers, accountants and consultants.
    That's interesting; I did not know it was a USA phenomenon.